Testing: The really good, and that which makes my mind bleed

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
This last saturday, my school had a testing. I wanted to share two things on the complete opposite sides of the spectrum, and wanted to know if any other people in chain schools have seen anything like this.
First, I'll share the good. A few years back, a gentleman in his mid-20s came in to our school. It was soon made apparent that he was developmentally disabled. When he started out, teaching him was hard. It took him a lot longer than normal to comprehend new techniques and forms. We also learned that he panicked easily, and lost focus when this happened.
I would be lying if i said that getting him started wasn't frustating. I know it sounds bad, but it does try patience. Though it took him a little longer than some, he worked his way up the belts. The test for his deputy black belt brought on his anxiety. He failed his forms the first time around. He came back, though, and earned his deputy black belt.
Last Wednesday, he had his pretest for black. This was the first time where everyone was able to collectively observe his progress. His pretest went very well with his techniques and forms. Then came the board break, which is a spinning cross through wood. (This is the first test in our system which requires a pine board instead of rebreakables). When I held my hand for practice kicks, his kick came through so fast it hyperextended my elbow, and turned the meaty part of my thumb purple. When we put the wood in front of him, he freaked out. It took him about 15 tries before he broke it. (At our tests, though, it's 3 tries max, or you fail and have to come back).
Today, he tested for his black belt. Not once did his anxiety show itself. His techniques put some of the adults with full mental capacity to shame. His forms where crisp, powerful, and deliberate. His power kicks where able to move the person holding the body-shield, and he broke his board on the first try.
After seeing his test, I must say that I am awe-struck. Despite his mental handicaps, he was able to work hard, and came through shining like gold. Though special allowances might have been made, they were not needed. His performance was nothing short of excellent. I must say I feel rather humbled, because watching him test helped me to see what it is to be a TRUE martial artist.
:asian:

Ok, I did also say I was going to mention something NOT so good. There was a kid from another branch (the chain i belong to has 7 schools) testing for his junior black belt. (Anyone under the age of 16 is officially recognized as a poom.) The kid knew the required techniques for testing. Next came the test for power kicks. When the kid was told to do a spin kick (or turning back kick in other systems), he stared at the instructor blankly. The instructor actually had to SHOW HIM what a spin kick was. When the spin kick didn't produce power, he was asked to do a step-behind sidekick, which is the first board-break technique we are ever tested on. The kid didn't know what that was either, and had to be shown several times before he understood how to do it. This also didn't produce any power. The kid is a deputy black belt, the last rank for before the belt goes completely black.
At first thought, I wonder about the kid. Next thing I wonder, why hasn't he been taught to maintain it? Is there anybody else from another chain school who has seen anything like this?

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have seen my share of up and down moments. One good moment sticks out.

We had this 9 year old little girl who was tiny. She did great in forms, sparring, and anything else you asked her to do and she broke her boards in class. When it came time for testing for her black belt though, she just couldn't break the boards. Usually she was just one board short of breaking both stations. This little girl failed her black belt testing 4 times. She could do it all in class, but couldn't pull it together in testing. Both of her older brothers earned their black belts and her young female friends earned their black belts while she kept failing and I could see the pain in her eyes and the tears she held back when she failed in front of 60+ spectators time and time again.

Finally on the 5th testing she breaks all her stations on the first attempt and I never heard a crowd of people cheer so loud for one person. After watching her forms and other requirements there was no doubt that she passed. To me she exemplified what having Indomitable Spirit is and I know that as she goes on in life and faces difficulties she can look back on that and know that she can accomplish anything if she never gives up.

As for the not good things happening with chain schools....I'm in the ATA, so I hear lots of things. :p

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Deadhand31,

Thanks for the story of your new black belt. Very inspirational!

Miles

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, both stories of the man and the girl, were very exceptional illustrations of indomitable spirit. TW

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I went to Cho's in the Milwaukee Area and Master Cho always had students that were both physically and mentally challenged. As a brand new student I always admired there tenacity, it always humbled me to be in their presence.

As far as I know the instructors amongst themselves worked out and addressed defiencies. There is alot of leeway with students and what would be deal breakers for healthy fully functional adults, may not apply to those of us who are below 12, physically or mentally challenged.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is stories like this that make me re-evaluate the self-imposed limits I have, the heighth of my goals, the length of my reach.

Excellent stories, all. It's interesting how we sometimes freeze in the heat of the moment or have significant lapses of memory at testing. Forging on ahead anyway is the key.

:asian: all.

lulflo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have seen several testings and it seems to me that there are two types. The ones who are trying and the ones who know what they are doing. I have the pleasure of being friends with a few genuine martial artists and they have the dedication to make the testing a shining example of what a test should look like. They are not only amazing martial artists, but they are truly humble. The key is obvious to anyone, hard work pays off. Work out at the dojang for every class, practice outside of class, and when it comes time to test, leave it on the mat. I can only do my best, just as anyone else, I think most believe they will do well at testing, but if they haven't put forth the effort in preparation, it shows, simple as that. I understand the idea of jitters or shyness in front of the crowd, but in a way, that too is showing a lack of preparedness. To those who are just trying, look at your brothers and sisters while they are testing, the ones you want to look like, don't imitate their movements, ask them how often they train and what they do, then try to meet or exceed that dedication to training.

- Farang

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I haven't done TKD since I was a child, and even then I only did it for a short while, but regardless of the martial art, one can tell when they see a person that continues to strive for a goal without giving up.

So many times, people start martial arts wanting to be a "blackbelt" but give up after a short while, or maybe even stick with it for a long time, but when the time comes to go that extra mile to earn that milestone rank, they can't do it (or rather think they can't do it) and give up.

Those that try and try again, despite repeated failure, and keep coming back, and keep training, knowing that each time they are improving themselves, and eventually make it - those are the ones with the warrior heart.

I know a chap in my aikido class that has been ikkyu - one rank below black belt - for years, almost as long as I have been training in aikido (about 4 years, and now I too am ikkyu). Many times, rank tests have come up, and the instructor has asked if he is ready for the black belt test, and he has declined, saying he wasn't ready. He had a personal goal to accomplish and he didn't want to accomplish it until he knew in his heart that he was ready, so he just kept training.

And that's what it's really about - just keep training.
When the time comes, it will come.

Until then, just keep going.

OP
D

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
TX_BB said:
I went to Cho's in the Milwaukee Area and Master Cho always had students that were both physically and mentally challenged. As a brand new student I always admired there tenacity, it always humbled me to be in their presence.

As far as I know the instructors amongst themselves worked out and addressed defiencies. There is alot of leeway with students and what would be deal breakers for healthy fully functional adults, may not apply to those of us who are below 12, physically or mentally challenged.

Cho's is my school as well! I go to the West Bend branch. How long were you there, and who did you study under?