Testing for 4th Gup Saturday

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just letting everyone know I passed. I tested on Thursday instead. All the gory details are above.

It took me 5 tries to break the board with the jump front kick because of poor technique - I was pushing instead of snapping. When Master R said, "Last kick," those were the magic words. I kihapped and KAPOW. Imagine that, lol!

I'm off to watch my classmates test this morning. I hope they do well. I think it's a rather large group testing.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats!

The thing you gotta remember about board breaking is not to think about it...just go through the board. If you hold yourself back, you end up with sore hands/feet. I remember when I had to do that break, and realizing that hey, I physically can't pull back my toes to kick with the ball of my foot...well, so I just went for it and broke the board with my toes (and luckily didn't break my toes) :D

Tang Soo!

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congrats!

The thing you gotta remember about board breaking is not to think about it...just go through the board. If you hold yourself back, you end up with sore hands/feet. I remember when I had to do that break, and realizing that hey, I physically can't pull back my toes to kick with the ball of my foot...well, so I just went for it and broke the board with my toes (and luckily didn't break my toes) :D

Tang Soo!

I've heard of the lone rangers breaking the board with their toes. They are, ummm, legendary. Glad you didn't break your toes. My big toe was sore so I know that my toe struck the board at least once.

Yossarian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Congrats again Lynne, youll be a Cho dan before you know it.

It took me 5 tries to break the board with the jump front kick because of poor technique - I was pushing instead of snapping. When Master R said, "Last kick," those were the magic words. I kihapped and KAPOW. Imagine that, lol!

I did the exact same thing recently, not snapping enough. I should know better but i let my breaking tech get a bit rusty.

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations on your test!

We just tested 12 of our children and 2 of our adults this past Friday...

One of my students who has been in for my advanced classes more often than anyone else was promoted to Cho Dan Bo. I was very proud of her. Of course, I have a very good idea of what things I need to work on with her now.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congratulations on your test!

We just tested 12 of our children and 2 of our adults this past Friday...

One of my students who has been in for my advanced classes more often than anyone else was promoted to Cho Dan Bo. I was very proud of her. Of course, I have a very good idea of what things I need to work on with her now.
Congratulations to you and your students. You must be very proud.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congrats Lynne keep up the good work.
Thank you, Terry. I'm so glad I broke the board because if I hadn't, I would have had to wait another month and then retest on everything.

I was under the mistaken impression that I could break the board in class if I failed to break it during the test. That's only for red belt breaks (breaking in class). Phew!

astrobiologist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations to you and your students. You must be very proud.

Thank you, I am. I'm sure your instructors are very proud of you as well.

One of the most satisfying things about teaching is knowing that your students are getting it. Seeing a student progress is just awesome!

Latest Discussions