Testing for 4th Gup Saturday

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Wasn't it yesterday that my daughter brought me to buddy week at the dojang?!!! May 2007. Wow. And I'll be testing for 4th gup this Saturday. I'm confident of my material, but there are a lot of chances to mess up - especially with combinations/terminology. I know the Korean but it's still not hard to freeze or put the wrong foot forward, especially for me, Mrs. Lack of Coordination/easy mind to boggle.

If I pass Saturday and pass my spotlights (monthly quizzes), I'll be testing for 3rd gup, red belt, in November. That's crazy to me. I'll be an advanced student.

I'll always feel like a beginner but I think that's a good thing. And I can't imagine getting bored with MA anytime soon.

My daughter has her first red belt mid-term Wednesday (quiz every other month). She makes me nervous. She has to know the 8 key concepts in Korean. I'll guess she'll wait until Wednesday to learn them!

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Congrats Lynne and Best of Luck to you and your daughter too! And don't worry, ALL of us mess up with wrong stances from time to time.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good luck, Lynne. It is weird, I remember when you first came here how nervous and unsure you were. It looks like you're doing AWESOME! Good job! You have a lot to be proud of!

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good luck!! I'll also be testing on Saturday, but for 3rd gup. I'm confident on everything but am a little nervous about my break... a jumping roundhouse... not my strongest kick.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good luck, Lynne. It is weird, I remember when you first came here how nervous and unsure you were. It looks like you're doing AWESOME! Good job! You have a lot to be proud of!
Thanks, Craig, for your support. I am still nervous and could use a little more confidence. Maybe that will come with time.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good luck!! I'll also be testing on Saturday, but for 3rd gup. I'm confident on everything but am a little nervous about my break... a jumping roundhouse... not my strongest kick.
Good luck to you, Joel! We do the spin kick for 3rd gup. That's our first difficult kick. Honestly, not everyone passes that part of the test and has to retest the kick during class. Usually, people have the mechanics down but not the power/speed.

I'm doing the jump front kick (edan ahp chagi) for my test. That should be fairly easy. Unless I have a really crappy board...and that does happen from time-to-time to people.

The jumping roundhouse kick sounds tough. I haven't been required to break any board with the roundhouse kick yet. I suppose you are doing it with the fake? Are you going to use the top of your foot or the ball of your foot to break?

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks alot!. To be honest i would much rather do a long spinning kick... lol.

Actually there is no fake and i am supposed to use the ball of my foot.

our breaks are in this order...

7th gup - Ahp Cha Nut Gi (front kick)
6th gup - Yup Podo Cha Gi (side kick) - my son perfomring it -
5th gup - Dwi Cha Gi (back kick)
4th gup - Ee Dan Yup Podo Cha Gi (flying side kick) - me performing it for a demo -
3rd gup - Ee Dan Dollyo Cha Gi (jumping roundhouse)
2nd gup - Dwi Hu Ri Gi (long spinning kick)
1st gup - Yup Hu Ri Gi (hook kick)
1st Dan - Ee Dan Dwi Cha Gi (jumping back kick) - one of our 1st dan candidates doing it at his dan test -
2nd Dan - Ssang Bahl Ahp Cha Nut Gi (jump double front kick) - one of our 2nd Dans doing it at a demo -
3rd Dan - Lo Hai w\break. (Form with a break in the middle) - one of our 3rd dan candidate performing it as the dan testing -
4th dan and higher - the testing board decides. At this level all tests are an 8 day affair that is by invitation only.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks alot!. To be honest i would much rather do a long spinning kick... lol.

Actually there is no fake and i am supposed to use the ball of my foot.

our breaks are in this order...

7th gup - Ahp Cha Nut Gi (front kick)
6th gup - Yup Podo Cha Gi (side kick) - my son perfomring it -
5th gup - Dwi Cha Gi (back kick)
4th gup - Ee Dan Yup Podo Cha Gi (flying side kick) - me performing it for a demo -
3rd gup - Ee Dan Dollyo Cha Gi (jumping roundhouse)
2nd gup - Dwi Hu Ri Gi (long spinning kick)
1st gup - Yup Hu Ri Gi (hook kick)
1st Dan - Ee Dan Dwi Cha Gi (jumping back kick) - one of our 1st dan candidates doing it at his dan test -
2nd Dan - Ssang Bahl Ahp Cha Nut Gi (jump double front kick) - one of our 2nd Dans doing it at a demo -
3rd Dan - Lo Hai w\break. (Form with a break in the middle) - one of our 3rd dan candidate performing it as the dan testing -
4th dan and higher - the testing board decides. At this level all tests are an 8 day affair that is by invitation only.
No fake. That will be a lot harder than with a fake for sure. At my level, we've only done the jump roundhouse without the fake a few times. That blows my mind to think about jumping and turning 180 degrees and hitting the board with the ball of the foot. To be honest, I used the ball of my foot for the roundhouse the first time the other night - my partner was holding two of the small focus pads and the instructor told me to use the ball of my foot instead of the top of my foot. It certainly hurt a lot less.

Your 6 year old was awesome. He seemed very confident and very strong.

Your flying sidekick was great as well. You certainly have lots of control and good form. I am not confident enough to jump over someone like that. We've done bunny hops over people, lol.

I enjoyed watching the other videos. Was the Sam Dan performing Pyung Ahn O Dan? I recognized the move where the hands circle with one hand chopping back and one blocking/chopping down. I've done the move once in Chil Sung Il Ro Hyung and see it's in my next form, Pyung Ahn O Dan.

Curious and not trying to be negative, but if you don't break the board during the test, do you keep trying in class until you do break it? You seem to be strong and controlled, so I am sure you will break the board though.

Last edited by a moderator:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lynne you will do fine and remember every single person gets nervous before a test. I get nervous and been in the Arts for over forty years. Best of skill no luck needed.

JoelD

Green Belt
Reaction score
The form that the Sam Dan was performing is called Lo Hai... i believe, like the Pyung Ahns its a shotokan form that was incorporated into our style with more emphasis on the hip motion (among a few other changes, im sure).

If i dont make the break at the actual test, yes, ill get to keep trying in class until i succeed.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lynne you will do fine and remember every single person gets nervous before a test. I get nervous and been in the Arts for over forty years. Best of skill no luck needed.
Thank you, Terry. I think I might worry if I weren't nervous. ;)

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The form that the Sam Dan was performing is called Lo Hai... i believe, like the Pyung Ahns its a shotokan form that was incorporated into our style with more emphasis on the hip motion (among a few other changes, im sure).

If i dont make the break at the actual test, yes, ill get to keep trying in class until i succeed.
Oh, ok - Lo Hai.

Cheers to your red belt, upward and onward!

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score

Hi Joel, Lo Hai is NOT a Shotokan form. Meikyo is Funakoshi's take on the Rohai family of forms. There is an okinawan version of Rohai that looks most similar to the TSD/SBD Lo Hai.

Just an FYI. Thanks for the videos.

claireg31

Orange Belt
Reaction score
oh Lynne,
good luck for saturday, i'll be thinking of you.

i don't think anyone ever gets used to testing, all i can say is that i'm glad i'm now a black belt and my next testing is around 18 months away at the moment!

remember to breathe, relax and try not to over think, i'm terrible for doing that myself, and remember to enjoy yourself, you enjoy being a practioner of Tang Soo Do, this is why you are at this stage!

good luck to you both

claire

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
oh Lynne,
good luck for saturday, i'll be thinking of you.

i don't think anyone ever gets used to testing, all i can say is that i'm glad i'm now a black belt and my next testing is around 18 months away at the moment!

remember to breathe, relax and try not to over think, i'm terrible for doing that myself, and remember to enjoy yourself, you enjoy being a practioner of Tang Soo Do, this is why you are at this stage!

good luck to you both

claire

Thank you for the well wishes, Claire :)

So, you're next testing is 18 months away? Is that recertification or is that E Dan? At any rate, lots of hard work I'm sure.

Funny about the breathing - Master R is always after me to breathe. Recently, he told me to not think so much, lol. He said, "Analysis leads to paralysis."

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry AT ALL. usually if you don't break on the first shot, you'll get a few chances on the night of the break and MOST schools will just let you re do the break at a later date. It usually isn't a MAJOR infraction if you don't break on the test day.

claireg31

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for the well wishes, Claire :)

So, you're next testing is 18 months away? Is that recertification or is that E Dan? At any rate, lots of hard work I'm sure.

Funny about the breathing - Master R is always after me to breathe. Recently, he told me to not think so much, lol. He said, "Analysis leads to paralysis."

it is indeed for E Dan, i'm learning everything all at once at the moment and its making my brain ache, its always nice when we go through all the other colour belt forms, stuff i know already!

you'll be fine, lots of very good advice for you!

claire

Latest Discussions