Testing And Ranking Standards

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
In this I totally agree. This here has been my main problem; as much as I have tried I have not gotten students, that is students who want to promote and grow in the FMA. I have plenty of workout buds who have trained with me over the years who know some about the FMAs but to actually take a student from beginner's rank through advanced rank (under Lakan) or even to Lakan I have not done this.

I have a few students now who have been with me around 6 months; another one has been with me in my TKD program for 3 years who currently train in my Presas Arnis class and in teaching them, I feel my education has really begun. GM Remy always said go and teach that is the best way to learn.

Without someone to pass the material I have learned onto what good is it?

Speaking as one of your three students, I'm happy that you're enjoying it as much as we are!

I would add, if you'd cleaned out your PM's you might have had us for nine months rather than six... :lol: Lucky thing you came by our old school that Saturday in October, and somebody pointed you out and told me you were an Arnis guy!
:highfive:

(Now ya'll have got me thinking of begging Mr. TwentyThree to figure out a way for us to go to Buffalo, which is incredibly difficult given our already planned seminar schedule but not completely impossible!)

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Speaking as one of your three students, I'm happy that you're enjoying it as much as we are!

I would add, if you'd cleaned out your PM's you might have had us for nine months rather than six... :lol: Lucky thing you came by our old school that Saturday in October, and somebody pointed you out and told me you were an Arnis guy!

(Now ya'll have got me thinking of begging Mr. TwentyThree to figure out a way for us to go to Buffalo, which is incredibly difficult given our already planned seminar schedule but not completely impossible!)
LOL!!!! Anyhow Mark, I figured your students would enjoy your teaching and be down to earth as well!!!

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I did clean out my PM's (yesterday), they dated back to 2004-2005 (it's been full since then), and then I couldn't figure out how to send one.

I don't want to hijack the thread with talking about Buffalo, but I'm glad you are at least thinking about it, nor how incompetent I am as a cyber warrior so we can get back on topic. But you need to beg Mr.23, you will have a great time.

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
LOL!!!! Anyhow Mark, I figured your students would enjoy your teaching and be down to earth as well!!!

Oh we have a blast. Mrs. 23, is the only person I know who enjoys seeing her husband sequel in pain and laughs about it when I'm teaching locking. Me I'm shocked, like dang did I hurt him and he's laughing (cause that is what he does when he is in pain), it's taken me a while to get use to. My 3rd student covers her face and about cries when she locks someone and they are in pain.

All kidding aside we have a great class, and it has been wonderful working with them.

Hopefully you might get to meet them, in Buffalo.

To bring it back to rank testing they all three will be testing for their green belts next Saturday with another friend of mine sitting on the board who is a 5th degree Lakan under Ernesto and a Lakan Isa I thin in Modern Arnis.

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh we have a blast. Mrs. 23, is the only person I know who enjoys seeing her husband sequel in pain and laughs about it when I'm teaching locking. Me I'm shocked, like dang did I hurt him and he's laughing (cause that is what he does when he is in pain), it's taken me a while to get use to. My 3rd student covers her face and about cries when she locks someone and they are in pain.

He looks so cute that way, I can't help it. :D

Your 3rd student also laughs and smiles when she's been put into a lock or throw, and says, "Oooooh, I like that one!" frequently after a particularly painful demo with her as uke.

All kidding aside we have a great class, and it has been wonderful working with them.

Hopefully you might get to meet them, in Buffalo.

Of course it'd be our honor and pleasure to be introduced to such lofty company!

It's a very slim chance, but still... a chance.

To bring it back to rank testing they all three will be testing for their green belts next Saturday with another friend of mine sitting on the board who is a 5th degree Lakan under Ernesto and a Lakan Isa I thin in Modern Arnis.

Looking forward to it and we're practicing just about daily now. We won't let you down!

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mrs 23

I just talked with Master Harris and he will be at both of the exams on Saturday, and sensei Tempesta also said he would stay for your arnis test. So this will be fun.

Sensei Tempesta was with me in Buffalo when I separated my shoulder at Datu Tim's, Dr. Gyi and GM Remy seminar. In fact after the seminar I started teaching Arnis to some of his students at a church he taught karate at. I remember trying to explain/teach empty hand single sinawali to him in the plane (it was hard to do with a arm that didn't work, and in coach at that).

I've discussed with Master Harris my Green belt requirements and how I'll be conducting the exam, he is looking forward to seeing everyone. Greg also knows GM Ernesto's Anyos, guess what you might be doing for Blue belt. :)

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. and Mrs. 23

Speaking about having fun in class, I don't remember if I told you about this, but a week or so ago on Tuesday after we had gone over the variations and takedowns off of the brush grab strike entry in the arnis class the night before; the TKD class was preparing for their upcoming test, and our 3rd student is working with my senior student Conner. While they are practicing their one steps (where the one person attacks and the other defends); Conner attacks with a straight punch and our 3rd student (I think) enters in with the outside brush grab strike entry and executes a beautiful face turn take down, WHAM down on the mat he goes.

As he got up he goes "What was that!" she tells him "Oh you haven't learned that one" I could hear the snicker in her voice.

It's fun to watch my TKD students executing a lot of the off balancing and take down techniques that actually I learned from the FMAs rather than the standard Judo type throws. A few of the students have become pretty good with arm bar foot sweeps and off balancing take downs, or the arm drag (Mop the Floor), mobility throw etc. etc.

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mrs 23

I just talked with Master Harris and he will be at both of the exams on Saturday, and sensei Tempesta also said he would stay for your arnis test. So this will be fun.

Sensei Tempesta was with me in Buffalo when I separated my shoulder at Datu Tim's, Dr. Gyi and GM Remy seminar. In fact after the seminar I started teaching Arnis to some of his students at a church he taught karate at. I remember trying to explain/teach empty hand single sinawali to him in the plane (it was hard to do with a arm that didn't work, and in coach at that).

I've discussed with Master Harris my Green belt requirements and how I'll be conducting the exam, he is looking forward to seeing everyone. Greg also knows GM Ernesto's Anyos, guess what you might be doing for Blue belt. :)

We're going to have a great time on Saturday!

I'm up for learning whatever you throw at us, sir! :ultracool

Mr. and Mrs. 23

Speaking about having fun in class, I don't remember if I told you about this, but a week or so ago on Tuesday after we had gone over the variations and takedowns off of the brush grab strike entry in the arnis class the night before; the TKD class was preparing for their upcoming test, and our 3rd student is working with my senior student Conner. While they are practicing their one steps (where the one person attacks and the other defends); Conner attacks with a straight punch and our 3rd student (I think) enters in with the outside brush grab strike entry and executes a beautiful face turn take down, WHAM down on the mat he goes.

As he got up he goes "What was that!" she tells him "Oh you haven't learned that one" I could hear the snicker in her voice.

It's fun to watch my TKD students executing a lot of the off balancing and take down techniques that actually I learned from the FMAs rather than the standard Judo type throws. A few of the students have become pretty good with arm bar foot sweeps and off balancing take downs, or the arm drag (Mop the Floor), mobility throw etc. etc.

I can see her enjoying that little exchange!

Looking forward to 23 Offspring #1 acquiring more of those skills as she settles into your school, that's for sure. I think she'll find it a lot of fun.