Modern Arnis Symposium Testing Board

D

DoctorB

The following information pertains to the "Modern Arnis Symposium Testing Board" and is as follows:

1. To test and if the applicant is successful, promote persons currently holding the minimum rank of Lakan/ Dayang in Modern Arnis. This testing opportunity is limited to those people who have not received a promotion for 3 years or more due to death, disability, retirement or relocation of the testing applicant’s instructor. The effective date for the last promotion is can be no later than January 1, 2000. Those people meeting the above criteria are the primary focus of the Modern Arnis Symposium Testing Board.

2. The second group of people who may apply to be tested by the Modern Arnis Symposium Testing Board are those persons who are recommended by their current instructor. The purpose for those testing would be to have an impartial, objective evaluation of a student holding the minimum rank of Lakan/ Dayang in Modern Arnis. The candidate put forward by an instructor must not have been tested since January 1, 2003.

3. Unless approved by the individual's instructor, in writing and on school letterhead, no person who is currently a member in good standing of any Modern Arnis organization will be eligible for testing. The following organization's members ARE NOT eligible for testing and possible promotion, American Modern Arnis Associates, World Modern Arnis Alliance, International Modern Arnis Federation, MARPPIO, World Modern Arnis Coalition and the International Modern Arnis Federation, Inc.. Other organizations may be added to the above list at the discretion of the Modern Arnis Symposium Testing Board.

4. If a person has resigned from an organization, they must provide proof that they have been separated from that organization for 3 years or more and they must provide 2 letters of recommendation before "the testing door will be opened" for them.

5. Applications for testing can be made on-line by writing to me at the following e-mail address:

[email protected]

The application must be filed with me as the Symposium Director by July 9, 2003. No applications will accepted after the July 9, deadline. The testing fee will be $50. The applicant for testing should explain why he/she can not be tested by the person who signed their last rank certificate.

The applicant must supply a information regarding their current rank plus the location and date of their last promotion within the e-mail. The applicant must bring a hard copy of their rank certificate with signatures and dates included to the testing site at the Symposium. The applicant must a written statement at the time of testing which clearly acknowledges that they *Are Not* a member of any current Modern Arnis Organization. The exception will be for people who have their instructors written permission to test.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
My only real question with this is:

What day and time ?

Will this mean that there will be a reduction in instruction time ?

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good question. Am I going to have to get up earlier for this? Will I lose my sleep-in time? Remember I am from the left coast so I am getting up 3 hours earlier anyway. Hell, I'll promote anyone who will let me sleep in,

:rofl:
Dan

OP
D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Tapps
My only real question with this is:

What day and time ?

Will this mean that there will be a reduction in instruction time ?

Let's wait to see how many people want to test. There may have been a rush of posts over a non-issue. There will not be a reduction of instruction time at the Symposium. The instruction is priority #1 for me, followed by people talking to and sharing ideas with one another Testing is a side-bar matter for the sake of helping some "orphaned" instructors to get back on track and current in their ranking.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
There will not be a reduction of instruction time at the Symposium.

Only thing I really give a damn about.

thanks Dr. B. I appreciate the clarification

OP
D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Tapps
Only thing I really give a damn about.

thanks Dr. B. I appreciate the clarification

Not a problem Tapps, let's have fun, see some new/different things and then review them for the folks who stayed at home that weekend.

As I mentioned in a reply to Chad on another thread, there will be some surprises. There always are at an event of this kind since there isn't a single prefered group or instructor. The Symposium will be the most open ended event that the majority of Modern Arnis players have ever attended. Bring your sticks, an open mind and let's all have some fun!

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
D

DoctorB

Originally posted by Renegade
Don't forget your blades!

:samurai: :jediduel:

Does this mean that you are planning to teach a session on Mano y Daga? I hope so, i am looking forward to seeing that program again.

You post also reminded me of something that I have been meaning to do for several weeks - get some info from the instructors about what they are going to be teaching at the Symposium. Thanks.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As I mentioned in a reply to Chad on another thread, there will be some surprises. There always are at an event of this kind since there isn't a single prefered group or instructor.

I bet.
It should be fun time for all. Sadly, while I have the money the leave time is non-existant. (On a positive note it looks like I get to work a state-wide task force on my weekends off starting in July....:rolleyes: )

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by DoctorB
Does this mean that you are planning to teach a session on Mano y Daga? I hope so, i am looking forward to seeing that program again.

No, I just thought some one should mention it. I remember at you Kenpo - Escrima very few people had any training knives. With Bram being there it would probably best that we bring a couple blades.

Tapps

Green Belt
Reaction score
Travel without a Blade ? (At least a training one)

Inexcusable !!!

:samurai: :samurai:

OP
J

JMP

Hello everyone
I was just wanted to know about this testing board in Modern Arnis.
I do not doctor b, is there a new org. starting where did all these requirments come from.
Thank you in advance

Jim Power
Flint MI.

(* I moved this post from the Filipino section and the Arnis is dying thread. I moved this post at the request of the poster.

Rich Parsons
MT Moderator *)

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
reply to testing board
Hello everyone
I was just wanted to know about this testing board in Modern Arnis.
I do not doctor b, is there a new org. starting where did all these requirments come from.
Thank you in advance

Jim Power
Flint MI.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Jim,
To my understanding the requirements will be pretty much the same as the ones in the camps for the past number of years. It would be pretty unfair to spring on the unsuspecting a number of new and different techniques, applications and so forth.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Anderson
Jim,
To my understanding the requirements will be pretty much the same as the ones in the camps for the past number of years. It would be pretty unfair to spring on the unsuspecting a number of new and different techniques, applications and so forth.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Past # of years? Which ones? 80'-85'? 85-90? 90-95? 95-00? Or how about pre- 80's?????

There was a difference among the years as to what was emphasized, and there is only so much time for a test, so I doubt that everything could be covered. So, I am wondering what the test will be focused on as well.

Dr. B? Anyone?

Just wondering, anyhow!

Thanks,
PAUL:asian:

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
So, I am wondering what the test will be focused on as well.

How about skill?

Regards

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dieter
How about skill?

I think PAUL's point was that people from differing eras may know and certainly will emphasize very different techniques. You might have two people testing for lakan tatlo and one won't know any tapi-tapi because he's from the "flow" stage while the other might not know, say, his joint locks as well. This will be a challenge for the board, I imagine, although your appraoch of focusing on skill may well be enough to overcome it!

Is there a minimum curriculum people must demonstrate?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dieter
How about skill?

Regards

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

Sure, but by who's and what standards? Unless all the testers are "fighting" each other, it is difficult to determain skill overall.

Everyone has a different focus and set of standards.

Dieter, we both claim modern arnis, but I'll bet you and I will have entirely different "styles" of fighting. I think that this is great, though, and this is what makes getting together for an event like this fun.

However, for a test, it is my opinion that there should be some sort of set "standard" to go by. I am just wondering how this will be structured, is all.

:D

Dieter

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Paul and arnisador,

I am well aware of the problem, because especially we in Germany will have a totally different curriculum that the US Modern Arnis groups. But so what. Isn´t this the beauty of the art?

Still I belive in the skill factor.
I am sure, if they demonstrate their techniques, you will be able to see, if the level is Lakan Isa, Tatlo or Lima.

I think, and I hope Dr. B will agree, that we cannot ask for any unified program.
Let them demonstrate their skills in the areas of blocking, counterstriking, combinations, disarms, takedowns, locks flows, Tapi- or singel stick sparring or whatever it was called before, counters etc what ever they can show.
Let them explain the techniques, demonstrate variations and connections to other techniques and I am sure, that the years and hours put in the art will show up in different skill-levels.

I know, we on the board will have a diifficult task to solve there, but we will give our best to give neutral evaluation of the skill and proficiency demonstrated in fromt of the board during this exam. And perhaps, if we are lucky ;) nobody will go for a test so we woun´t have the problem.
But no, this is not a problem, rather a challenge and an interesting voyage through the different "ages" of Modern Arnis.

Hey, this is the first time something like this is done in Modern Arnis. Let us all learn from this unique situation.

Regards

Dieter Knüttel
Datu of Modern Arnis

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
Past # of years? Which ones? 80'-85'? 85-90? 90-95? 95-00? Or how about pre- 80's?????

FYI

The last Presas camp in Buffalo was held in 1991.

Latest Discussions