Tension Buildup and Hostility around Playing Children

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You're working at a Mexican taco stand. You don't understand the Spanish language. There's a guy twice your size that needs to be removed from the property, but he doesn't speak good English and he's refusing to comply. He's shorter than you but twice your size, holding a 6-pack of beer. You have a knife but no gun and your phone's dead. You're going to have to handle this one alone, without your firearm. That doesn't seem like a big deal, so what's the problem? There are innocent bystanders, paying customers, and children at play. In fact, little ones are chasing each other with toy weapons, running around you and in between both of you while tensions are heating up.

What do you do?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Why are you trying to kick a Mexican guy out of your taco stand? And why wouldn't your business have a phone? And why are you wielding a knife while working?

And why is the guy carrying a six pack of beer around?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As an aside, this thread reminds me of the movie Speed. I wish you'd said it more like this:

"Pop quiz, hotshot. There's a bomb on a bus. Once the bus goes 50 miles an hour, the bomb is armed. If it drops below 50, it blows up. What do you do? What do you do?"

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why are you trying to kick a Mexican guy out of your taco stand? And why wouldn't your business have a phone? And why are you wielding a knife while working?

And why is the guy carrying a six pack of beer around?

Because it's not your taco stand, it's a Mexican family business that gets robbed a lot so they hired S.E.O's to protect their taco stand. The business does not have a phone. Although they get lots of business, their food is cheap and they are struggling to maintain a Mexican family. You are their bouncer, the security officer they hired. But you don't have a gun permit, and the only other weapon you have is a knife, a wallet with photo I.D. and $6, a dead phone and some pocket change. Here they sell beer, and drink it by the tent. But this guy's harassing the bartender and making her feel uncomfortable. What do you do hotshot, what do you do? Lol

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because it's not your taco stand, it's a Mexican family business that gets robbed a lot so they hired S.E.O's to protect their taco stand. The business does not have a phone. Although they get lots of business, their food is cheap and they are struggling to maintain a Mexican family. You are their bouncer, the security officer they hired. But you don't have a gun permit, and the only other weapon you have is a knife, a wallet with photo I.D. and $6, a dead phone and some pocket change. Here they sell beer, and drink it by the tent.
This sounds awfully specific. Is it a hypothetical, or are you looking for advice?

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
This sounds awfully specific. Is it a hypothetical, or are you looking for advice?

I guess you could say both. I did base this scenerio on a personal experience. I still remember how I handled it. I'm just thinking back to it and wondering if I couldn't have handled it better (or more quickly). I'm also interested in hearing the different ways others would handle this simulation. Consider this as a test or mental exercise that we can all benefit from. What would you do?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're working at a Mexican taco stand. You don't understand the Spanish language. There's a guy twice your size that needs to be removed from the property, but he doesn't speak good English and he's refusing to comply. He's shorter than you but twice your size, holding a 6-pack of beer. You have a knife but no gun and your phone's dead. You're going to have to handle this one alone, without your firearm. That doesn't seem like a big deal, so what's the problem? There are innocent bystanders, paying customers, and children at play. In fact, little ones are chasing each other with toy weapons, running around you and in between both of you while tensions are heating up.

What do you do?

You tell him to leave the property....if he refuses you call the police and have him arrested for trespassing.

Simple.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your phone's dead. The taco truck doesn't have a phone.

Bat signal?

Honestly, with kids and bystanders around, I would send someone to get the police while I try to talk to him and keep him away from patrons until police arrive. If he becomes aggressive.....well you know how they say no matter how big and bad you are there is always someone who can whoop you......I'm who they are talking about. ;):D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He seems to be unarmed, so leave your knife in your pocket or sheath. Ask him to leave. If he doesn't leave tell him to leave. If he still doesn't leave, take out his knees and drag him off the premises. Don't let the kids distract you.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If he's shorter than me and twice my size,

not quite. He's shorter than you. So, maybe 5'10" and 450. Changes the landscape a little. :)

Ok, missed that point....Basically, knock him down, then roll him right out side. :D

OP
Mou Meng Gung Fu

Mou Meng Gung Fu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
He seems to be unarmed, so leave your knife in your pocket or sheath. Ask him to leave. If he doesn't leave tell him to leave. If he still doesn't leave, take out his knees and drag him off the premises. Don't let the kids distract you.

Bat signal?

Honestly, with kids and bystanders around, I would send someone to get the police while I try to talk to him and keep him away from patrons until police arrive. If he becomes aggressive.....well you know how they say no matter how big and bad you are there is always someone who can whoop you......I'm who they are talking about. ;):D

Both of you did exactly what I did, although we do things differently. I left my knife in its sheath on my belt like Tames D said (sometimes I'd let it show, but mostly concealed). I asked, but got no compliance. I told him to "Go" and pointed away from the taco stand. Still no compliance. I didn't kick him in the knees (my style doesn't condone violence- and certainly not risking the lives of innocent children). My phone would've been the bat signal, if it wasn't dead. So I did what CB Jones said, only I told the manager (perhaps a flaw on my behalf- thank you CB :) ) The manager said it was okay as long as he stopped bugging the lady. I bought an energy drink, went back and approached the guy who immediately resumed his "on-guard natural stance" as soon as I walked up. I talked to him for a minute. He calmed down. I made him smile. He let his guard down. We popped the tabs on our cans and took our first swigs together. Halfway into his second beer, it must have dawned on him that I was drinking the energy drink, because he decided to leave on his own accord.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Spinning heel kick to the head, head butt, knee to the groin break the neck....wait sorry no that was a jean Claude van damme movie

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score

What do you do?
Do I work as a taco maker? I would think if I am going to take a job in a taco stand i would speak some Spanish(I was born and raised in Miami so I speak and understand a decent amount of Spanish) but I would go borrow someone's phone I am sure Rico my burrito maker has a phone or Maria my cashier has one. Why does he need to be removed did he insult my taco making skills? For all I know this guy has a gun and he may be drunk so why piss him off when the police can easily ask him to leave. Now if he is threatening to hit a kid then maybe i have reasonable cause to do something but from OP post don't see anything that would result in really doing anything beyond calling police.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
lets put it this way...you messed up son.
you were hired as a professional, how about you try to be one. if you are asking what you should do, or if what you did was the correct option...these are things that a professional should have known before going into the job.

professionalism, before showing up for work,
know your job, what to do and what you cant do.
make sure you have all your tools and that they are in working order.
know the language of the people you will be dealing with.
have a policy in place for dealing with the situations that will arise.
(if that means you should have firearm permit you should have it, along with being trained and skilled in firearms if this is an unarmed security detail then why bring up the point, protocall should be in place)

if you dont have at least those things you shouldnt be on the job.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
lets put it this way...you messed up son.
you were hired as a professional, how about you try to be one. if you are asking what you should do, or if what you did was the correct option...these are things that a professional should have known before going into the job.

professionalism, before showing up for work,
know your job, what to do and what you cant do.
make sure you have all your tools and that they are in working order.
know the language of the people you will be dealing with.
have a policy in place for dealing with the situations that will arise.
(if that means you should have firearm permit you should have it, along with being trained and skilled in firearms if this is an unarmed security detail then why bring up the point, protocall should be in place)

if you dont have at least those things you shouldnt be on the job.

Ease up dude

Y'all beating on this dude, let him up for some air.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
was

What do you do?
it seems like a strange scenario, if there are to many people around to wrestle him, you sure as hell cant start waving a gun around. Why the hell have you turned up with a flat phone. That's just stupid. Even I make a habit of having a charged phone and I'm not in charge of anyone's safety but my own.
then it turns out you don't have to make him leave, he just has to stop bothering the lady. So you don't need a gun or a knife or a phone or your martial arts. Just have a quite word with him, sit with him, make him feel uncomfortable and he leaves anyway. Nobody got shot stabbed, beaten up and no children were harmed, should have done that first before you started being confrontational

Latest Discussions