Tell us about your style of Kenpo

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, from the polls here it's evident that we have practitioners from several styles of Kenpo here. Please give us a short description of your kenpo style, it's founder, history, techniques, philosophy, etc.

Here's mine:

KAJUKENBO

Kajukenbo is a Internationally recognized martial art founded in Hawaii in 1949.
The evolution of art began in 1947 when Adriano D. Emperado, Joe Holck, Frank Ordonez, George C. Chang, and Peter Choo formed the Black Belt Society.
These men were experts in different martial arts. Adriano Emperado was William Chow's first "Kenpo Karate" black belt, and also had trained in "Escrima".
Peter Choo was a "boxing" champion and had received training in "Korean karate".
Frank Ordonez's style was "Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu".
Joe Holck had trained with both Henry Okazaki, and Sig Kufferath, and earned black belts in "Kodokan Judo" and "Danzan Ryu Jujitsu".
George C. Chang was a "Sil-Lum Pai Kung Fu" stylist.
Together they trained for 3 years exchanging ideas and techniques. "Kenpo Karate" became the heart of the system, and techniques from the other systems were added to the Kenpo to enhance it's effectiveness.
By 1949 they systemized a martial art system that combined the techniques of all their systems.
The system was then named "Kajukenbo". "Ka" for karate, "Ju" for Judo and Ju Jitsu, "Ken" for Kenpo, and "bo" for Western and Chinese boxing(kung fu).
Of the five founders, Emperado continued spreading and improving Kajukenbo. Today Kajukenbo is practiced worldwide, and has 4 methods, Kajukenbo Original (sometimes called Kenpo Karate branch), Chuan Fa, Tum Pai, and Won Hop Kuen Do.
The Original Method consists of 14 Palama Sets (katas), 21 punch counters, 13 club counters, 15 knife counters, 15 grab arts, 8 two man attack counters, 1 three man attack counter, and 26 alphabet techniques(combination techniques).

K

Karazenpo

Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu founded in 1958 by Victor 'Sonny' Gascon & Walter L.N. Godin. The system is a direct subsystem of the original hard style Kenpo Karate Method, later referred to the 'Emperado Method' of Kajukenbo. The system has a circulartory nucleus but 'blends the circle with the line' as all the Hawaiian derived systems do and is also noted for it's 'rapid fire' hand striking. It teaches indirect fighting as well as in-line direct, the choice being yours as you adapt the method that best suits you. Takedowns and follow up also referred to as 'groundwork' are an integral part of the system. At it's inception, Gascon and Godin with the guidance of Sifu John Leoning (Kajukenbo) synthesized Karazenpo's five original forms, 1-5 kata, from Kajukenbo's short original eight pinans (some say the first 6) although #4 kata was inspired by Okinawan Pinan #1 which inspired Shotokan's Heian #2. David Kamalani (originally Kajukenbo but joined Gascon & Godin) was credited with the creation of #3 kata. The first 15 techniques we inspired from the original 21 punch counters of Kajukenbo. Later, they were expanded to 21 as Karazenpo took a foothold in New England in 1960 by S. George Pesare. Club, knife and gun techniques were also part of the curriculum along with various releases from grabs referred to as the 'grab arts'. Grappling and Judo is also emphasized along with Korean style kicking to supplement kenpo's low line kicks. Pesare would add Stature of the Crane and 6 & 7 kata. #6 kata was made up of the combination techniques and 7 kata was inspired from a drill. Pesare also added a beginner form he called #1 Pinan which was actually Shotokan's Taikyoku Shodan and taught Bassai along with the traditional weapons including archery, handgun and blade fighting. The 'Gauntlet' (Kajukenbo's 'Monkey Line') along with various multi-man attacks and two to three man sparring drills are all part of the curriculum. Nick Cerio, a black belt of George Pesare (1966) went on to add more to the system in forms, combinations and weapons and later revamped everything calling it Nick Cerio's Kenpo in 1974. Fred Villari was a black belt of Nick Cerio's and in 1971 went independant ( leaving as a nidan but prior to completing his 1 year probation, he is therefore listed in the Cerio records as a shodan) adding more numerical combinations and forms to the system currently calling it Shaolin Kempo Karate. Essentially, Villari's system is the original Karazenpo Cerio taught him up to around second degree black belt, after that his system takes on a strong Chinese influence. The original Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu of Sijo Victor Gascon has taken a resurgence beginning in 1994 and the original system's curriculum has been expanded including the addition of the 14 'Monkey Dances' which are revised versions of the 14 Pinans, since renamed 'Palama Sets' of Kajukenbo. Weapons, techniques and other material has also been added. That's about it in a nutshell. Respectfully submitted Professor Joe Shuras

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My style of Kenpo:

KARA-HO KEMPO

Founder: Professor William K.S. Chow

Current Inheritor/Leader: Grandmaster Samual Alama Kuoha

Techniques short list: Basic set, Advance set, Grab, Ground, Gun, Knife, 2-man, 3-man

Katas: Kwai Sun, Kata Set II, Hoshi, Combo

Weapons Katas: Bo, Sai, Nunchuk, Balisong, Kama, Tonfa

T

TIGER DRAGON FIGHT

i study shaolin kempo under professor charles mattera, you can check the lineage icon on the website @ ussd.com.:jedi1:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The school where I train does very little in the multiple tech department. Imagine having only three moves and three basic techs where everything else is considered a variation. We work on those variations but the names are not taught until after the lesson is over.
Sean

Mekugi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"Shinto Tenshin Ryu"

According to some sources (the Bugeiryuha Daijiten for instance) this ryu started in the Keicho era and was taught/handed down within the Ueno family.
In 1941 Ueno Takashi decided to bring his martial art to the public and began teaching it openly. Unfortunately, the outbreak of WWII hindered it's progress and after the allied occupation of Japan in WWII he was forced to change it's name to "Tenshin Koryu Kempo" in order to keep practicing it.
It was one of the martial arts taught by Ueno Takashi at the Tenshin Koryu Kempo Renseikai where he influenced several well known practicioners of the martial arts today, (Such as Hatsumi Masaaki). It seems to be a collage of the different martial arts available to Ueno Takahashi as some of the other martial arts that Ueno Takahashi studied were : Shito Ryu Karate, Chinese "kempo", Asayama Ichiden Ryu, Shizen(?) ryu and Kukishin ryu Bojutsu (among others).

I

iTsDaNNy

:jedi1: American Kenpo - Parker/Planas lineage. Doesnt get anymore easier to explain then that. :ultracool

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saviano's White Tiger Kenpo
Founder: Tom Saviano
Established: 1981
Lineage: Parker/McSweeney

The style of Kenpo is based off of John McSweeney's techniques and philosophy. The system is comprised of only a few base techs and forms (relatively speaking when compared to other Kenpo systems). Many of the principles found in EPAK and others are the same, although we may use different names to it. I guess what is unique to some other systems, besides method, is that it also incorporates quite a few large circular strikes and uses more circular blocks than the traditional karate blocks. Stems from Mr. McSweeney's exposure to Ming Lum and Crane Kung Fu when he accompanied Mr. Parker to many of his visits to China Town.

Our claim to fame was when Keith Hackney used one of those large circular strikes to knock down someone 400 pounds bigger than him (which was called at the time a "wild right").

Mekugi

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Zoran said:
Our claim to fame was when Keith Hackney used one of those large circular strikes to knock down someone 400 pounds bigger than him (which was called at the time a "wild right").
I remember that. He done whooped that big sumo guy.

mhouse

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My style is closely related to Karenzempo

The lineage is Gascon/Pesare/Cerio/Villari/Bryant&Nohelty.

Bryant & Nohelty have changed teacher over the years, the began with GM Villari, later were accepted by Professor Cerio to study with him and currently study under GM Pesare. For more on them check out www.masterscenters.com

The system is composed of Combinations, numbered, with all of Villari's additions. 1 - 5 Kata, 1 - 5 Pinan, Heian Nidan, & Statue of the Crane. (Those are the katas up to black belt) There are also a number of Kenpo techniques, which generally are unnamed. In addition to that, there are techniques based on each of the 5 Shaolin Animals (Crane, Tiger, Leopard, Snake & Dragon)

My specific school is undergoing some changes, but that is the lineage and style that I practice.

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
American Kenpo. I'm a student of Mike Pick and of his student Marcus Buonfiglio.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
Universal Kenpo Federation

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally studied Shorinji Kempo but am now a part of the Shinko Ryu.

Good stuff...

Loved the lineages of the above systems...Very in depth...AS I live in Rhode Island it is good to see where all the stuff around me comes from. Although I am not a part of those lineages I respect what they have accomplished over the years.

Regards
WalT

S

Shurikan

Chinese Kara-Ho Kenpo/Kempo Karate

I Train under Grandmaster Sam Kouha

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My style is Tracy's Kenpo. I was brought up in the National Headquarters of the organization when it was run by Steve Finn. Mr. Finn is a world class kicker, so, unlike most kenpo schools I have run across, we emphasized kicking quite a bit. Since Mr. Finn's retirement, most of my instruction has come directly from Al Tracy, although, thanks to Master Dave Simmons, I recently had the opportunity to meet Kyoshi Roger Greene of the Tracy's organization (9th black) who has become my teacher, mentor, and friend.

S

senseishane

Kara-Ho Kempo Karate. Combination of hand and feet striking. We also utilize principles from aikido in terms of leading ki and wrist locks and such. We incorporate Chinese, Japanese, Fillipino (sp?), and also Hawaiian weapons.

Just a short/brief description.

Thanks,
senseishane

USKS1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

My primary style is Kajukenbo. I have trained with many great instructors, but my teacher is Sigung Brian K. Yoshii. I also train in Senkotiros Arnis under Grandmaster Max Pallen Sr.

For info on Kajukenbo go to the top of this thread and read Sigung Bishops description above.

Keep up the hard training

Dean Goldade

www.kajukenbo-combatives.com

I

IKCAMemberGary

Style: IKCA Chinese Kenpo
Founder(s): Chuck Sullivan 10th dan SGM and Vic Le Roux 10th dan GM

History: Chuck was one of the few 1st generation black belts under Ed Parker. He rose to 7th dan under Parker prior to Parker's untimely passing. Le Roux also studied with Parker, and was promoted to 5th by the Old Man.

The principles and ideals of Kenpo are alive and well in IKCA Chinese Kenpo. IKCA Chinese Kenpo has been slimmed down to 55 workable, usable techniques and one Master Form. The Master Form consists of all of the 55 techniques put into a form, which is taught a piece at a time at each belt level.

Having developed the "leaner, meaner" Kenpo allows students to master concepts and techniques faster, and not bogging them down with too many techniques.

Gary

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
IKCAMemberGary said:
Style: IKCA Chinese Kenpo
Founder(s): Chuck Sullivan 10th dan SGM and Vic Le Roux 10th dan GM

History: Chuck was one of the few 1st generation black belts under Ed Parker. He rose to 7th dan under Parker prior to Parker's untimely passing. Le Roux also studied with Parker, and was promoted to 5th by the Old Man.

The principles and ideals of Kenpo are alive and well in IKCA Chinese Kenpo. IKCA Chinese Kenpo has been slimmed down to 55 workable, usable techniques and one Master Form. The Master Form consists of all of the 55 techniques put into a form, which is taught a piece at a time at each belt level.

Having developed the "leaner, meaner" Kenpo allows students to master concepts and techniques faster, and not bogging them down with too many techniques.

Gary
Gotta disagree about mastering concepts and techniques faster, it just ain't so. Just cuz there's only 55 doesn't make it better or faster, it's the instructor giving you the knowledge of any and all techniques that has any efficiency, and of course, the will to learn them. Those techniques you're learning for IKCA aren't any more valuable, and sometimes less, than the ones EPAK or Tracy people do.

DarK Lord

CB2379

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I study American Kenpo.

Our curriculum is a combination of Parker's system and Tracy's system. After discussing this with some of my fellow students, I understand that the moves in the two systems are very similar it is just the names that are different.

But from what I understand we study Parker at yellow, Tracy from Orange through Green belt. In Green Belt through black, it returns to Parker.

I could be wrong and if I am, I certainly expect one of my fellow pals from my school to correct me on this.

Chuck

kenpo tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
CB2379 said:
I study American Kenpo.

Our curriculum is a combination of Parker's system and Tracy's system. After discussing this with some of my fellow students, I understand that the moves in the two systems are very similar it is just the names that are different.

But from what I understand we study Parker at yellow, Tracy from Orange through Green belt. In Green Belt through black, it returns to Parker.

I could be wrong and if I am, I certainly expect one of my fellow pals from my school to correct me on this.

Chuck
Pretty good Chuckster. I would only elaborate that what we learn at the upper belt levels are the techs with their extensions. KT

Latest Discussions