Tell us about your home gym....

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am surprised the bar did not snap.
High quality bars (Olympic etc) are rated to around that load (1500lbs or so), and they are very ductile, so I'd imagine its not that hard to find an even higher grade.

Honestly I find any of these high end lifting videos hard to watch...seen too many nasty injuries. Kind of like watching Nascar, you know if you watch long enough...boom.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The comments section is a hoot, between people calling the video fake, people who thought the bar might snap, and people who actually lift and know things.

Oh, internet!
I have a feather steel Olympic bar at home. never loaded it to max weight as i doubt i could lift 700 KGS ( not LBS ). sure bars can take a good weight depending on the quality of the bar. the video looks highly suspect to me...more i won´t say

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
High quality bars (Olympic etc) are rated to around that load (1500lbs
yes & a bar is not just a bar, power bar ...etc the bar in the video was not an olympic bar as far as i could see. no bar even olympic takes so many wide plates.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a feather steel Olympic bar at home. never loaded it to max weight as i doubt i could lift 700 KGS ( not LBS ). sure bars can take a good weight depending on the quality of the bar. the video looks highly suspect to me...more i won´t say
I honestly can't tell the difference, I don't have much experience in this area. I'm more of a weighted carry type of guy, I like moving with weights rather than just standing. I get bored easily with this kind of thing.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That´s mine. looks a bit scratched & worn nowadays but still good. think the picture was taken about 2-3 years ago. solid though.

View attachment 29063
Yeh, I have second thoughts about buying a bench, it has to be heavy duty, but then it's very heavy. My elastic band work quite well, AND I am not 53!!!! It's not as if I can go far with this anymore.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
yes & a bar is not just a bar, power bar ...etc the bar in the video was not an olympic bar as far as i could see. no bar even olympic takes so many wide plates.
Yeh, normal bar is a lot shorter, it's 45lbs. I think you can put like 10 plates max on each side. Hell, that's already 945lbs!!! How many people in this world can bench that?!!!

I have to question how real was that video. I know the guy is very strong, but all that plates, that looks like over 3000lbs. Even if 1/2 is hollow, that's very impressive!!!!

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeh, normal bar is a lot shorter, it's 45lbs. I think you can put like 10 plates max on each side. Hell, that's already 945lbs!!! How many people in this world can bench that?!!!

I have to question how real was that video. I know the guy is very strong, but all that plates, that looks like over 3000lbs. Even if 1/2 is hollow, that's very impressive!!!!
The bar does look olympic just looked again but custom built obviously to accomodate the plates where I would like to see Standard iron olymic plates on there.Olympic 45s. Bumper plates are much wider than iron

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I honestly can't tell the difference, I don't have much experience in this area. I'm more of a weighted carry type of guy, I like moving with weights rather than just standing. I get bored easily with this kind of thing.
Mind you I've seen Videos of old York or weider 1" Bars handle good weight too

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeh, I have second thoughts about buying a bench, it has to be heavy duty, but then it's very heavy. My elastic band work quite well, AND I am not 53!!!! It's not as if I can go far with this anymore.
Something like this would work too.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

I suck at physics but I know a little about wiring , now that I think about it, if that video is legit, I think the custom length of the bar is why it wouldn't snap, and also the reason for the spring action.

Trying to wrap my head around it, this is a lot different than lifting weight directly above you with a solid bar. His bar starts bent. So it's already holding some of that load...meaning he's not lifting some portion, the action of the bar is helping. Like a simple machine.

Am I crazy?

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
relevant for people alone in a home gym..

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master Chiu Wai approves of this thread.*

1665532076237.png

*not a formal endorsement of this thread, I don't know this dude personally, just through other people.

Last edited:

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with him that the average home lifter just needs an average bar but don't go for the cheap Olympic Bar from the Internet. Infact in the USA you can probably find a good old school York Bar which just needs a clean up. Which would be my first choice..seen some going very cheap because people either don't know the quality of the Bar or just want rid of it.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This guys wants a fair bit for this bar but it looks well kept & being honest for this price such quality is not easy to find for the price asked.
This baby would be going home with me if I lived there or could get it sent. 😄

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
not sure about @ 0.16 :D but hey maybe he knows & i don´t. I liked the bands coming from two directions on the standing punches though.

anyway i think Alan is our Bands, constant tension expert on here.

Latest Discussions