Tell us about your home gym....

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
but Gentlemen let´s not divert from my question to the "Tiger Claw" i want to see this amazing video which was mentioned. then we can comment on it. only fair?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
dosn´t mean Alan is wrong though does it. Post the video
Alan is talking about grip strength in general. I'm talking grip for a specific function. To me it's like running. The type of running determines how the muscles develop long distance and sprinters don't have the same type of muscle development. Soccer players run all the time but their legs don't look like distant runners leg nor do they look like sprinter legs. All 3 do different exercises to develop their legs for the specific running that they do.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you want to have same muscular and tendon build that climbers have then yes. If you just want strong forearms that aren't designed for climbing then no you don't have to. But if you want thick tendons in your forearm like the climbers have then you will need to do the same training they do which includes climbing. Climbing puts various stresses on the body that as the climber moves through various positions. You can't simulate those same positions and stress without actually climbing. Again if you just want strong forearms then there are many ways to do that. If you want a climbers grip or forearm then you'll need to climb.
I think you miss the whole science of GENETICS. I don't think I can get you to understand this until you have some basic knowledge of genetics.

There are more efficient way to do things. So far the best way I know of is high resistance, low reps to build strength, not a repetitive motion and keep climbing. You keep it below 15 reps. You can do it, add resistance and keep it at 10reps or so. You get the max effect from the shortest amount of time and move onto other essential training.

I think you need to look into the real weight and strength training of modern days.

Last edited:

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Alan is talking about grip strength in general. I'm talking grip for a specific function. To me it's like running. The type of running determines how the muscles develop long distance and sprinters don't have the same type of muscle development. Soccer players run all the time but their legs don't look like distant runners leg nor do they look like sprinter legs. All 3 do different exercises to develop their legs for the specific running that they do.
true sprinters have different musculature to a marathon runner, red & white muscle fibres or slow fast twitch. however the "Tiger claw" ...show me the sectrets of this muscle/tendon training.
By the way in your post you´re just posting what i have wrote before. has nothing to do with what you´re bringing over, let´s be clear about this.. there´s nothing in my opinion that can´t be trained in a gym. The chinese even hang weights off their balls & penis.
The way i see it is this..if Grasshopper was living now in our time...how would he train??

Last edited:

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you miss the whole science of GENETICS. I don't think I can get you to understand this until you have some basic knowledge of genetics.

There are more efficient way to do things. So far the best way I know of is high resistance, low reps to build strength, not a repetitive motion and keep climbing. You keep it below 15 reps. You can do it, add resistance and keep it at 10reps or so. You get the max effect from the shortest amount of time and move onto other essential training.

I think you need to look into the real weight and strength training of modern days.
Alan do you know this secret "Tiger Claw" training? seems there´s no video ..he´ll probably produce some 70s kung fu nonsence !

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also, there's an important point about training. You have to know whether you are training for explosiveness or endurance. You train differently if you are training for 100yds dash vs 26 miles marathon. Same as grip strength, are you training for endurance or short time explosive strength. For endurance, climbing makes more sense. but for self defense and MA, explosive is a lot more important. Body strength train training fits a lot better for that. High weight, LOW reps.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, there's an important point about training. You have to know whether you are training for explosiveness or endurance. You train differently if you are training for 100yds dash vs 26 miles marathon. Same as grip strength, are you training for endurance or short time explosive strength. For endurance, climbing makes more sense. but for self defense and MA, explosive is a lot more important. Body strength train training fits a lot better for that. High weight, LOW reps.
i had a good friend who moved to Norway so don´t see him much now but..he was a great runner & it challanged me to run with him but in my home gym he was weak..very weak. He said to me one day day after a gym session in his local gym (he had a gym membership).. these big fat guys who lift heavy ..but they couldn´t run with me !
I said but listen..what will you do in a real fight? run away... fact is strength is needed. real world power and strength.
If i remember correctly the Gym guys were joking about his bench presses with a 20kg barbell. An empty Olympic bar

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am pretty confident that if you test between a top climber against top weight trainer how heavy a gripper they can squeeze, my bet is on the weight trainer.

BUT, if you test how long can they squeeze and hold the gripper, I bet the climber will win.

So the question is which one is more important for you. Then train accordingly.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
however the "Tiger claw" ...show me the sectrets of this muscle/tendon training.
It's the same as this but with a jar with a large lid that forces the hand to grip with a hand that is opened more. The picture below shows the same exercise but the hand isn't opened wide enough for tiger claw which is why using a large plastic jar is better. You can find a lid that fits the width of your hand so that it forms the tiger claw. Then you hold it like what you see in the picture. With tiger claw the grip is at the finger tips.

images

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Alan do you know this secret "Tiger Claw" training? seems there´s no video ..he´ll probably produce some 70s kung fu nonsence !
See the picture of the guy gripping the dumbbell. Does that look 70s to you?

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
See the picture of the guy gripping the dumbbell. Does that look 70s to you?
the functions of the forearms & hand muscles are the same as in Barbell pinch gripping. I have explained this to you over & over again. regardless of what you post . This was my point.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am pretty confident that if you test between a top climber against top weight trainer how heavy a gripper they can squeeze, my bet is on the weight trainer.
Ask that trainer to out perform the climber in using his grip to climb and the climber will win. There is already video of this online.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ask that trainer to out perform the climber in using his grip to climb and the climber will win. There is already video of this online.
Of cause, that's in the climber's court yard. Ask the climber to fight or even stick fight, it's a whole different story.

You follow the difference between explosiveness and endurance? Fighting and even cane fight are explosive type, lot of force for a few seconds and you get to rest in between. I am sure you make a good case in a climbing forum.

You need to follow the science. Strength training advanced a lot in the last 40 years. And it is very specific.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions