Tell us about your home gym....

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
the functions of the forearms & hand muscles are the same as in Barbell pinch gripping. I have explained this to you over & over again. regardless of what you post .
It's not. Try rock climbing or climb the wall so you can see for yourself. I've done both. The rock climbing I did was 30 ft up no rope in tennis shoes. There was nothing for me to grasp my hand around. Everything was an open hand grip. Find a place to grab was mostly cracks and ledges in the rock to grab on. To this day I don't know how I didn't fall. I remember how my fingers tips hurt, how my hang was cramped, and that after a certain point the option to climb down was no longer possible. You should give it a try so you can see the difference.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
the functions of the forearms & hand muscles are the same as in Barbell pinch gripping. I have explained this to you over & over again. regardless of what you post . This was my point.
I know the exact exercise Jow Ga is talking about. It's not bad as far as a grip strength exercise, it's basically low budget training (you fill two jars with water or sand or rocks and then does farmer carry, basically, using your fingertips to secure the jar). Takes some practice, and hilarious when someone drops one. Saw one explode on the ground once. Very messy.

but to your point, you'll get it with almost any weight you can wrap your fingers around. I know badass dudes that can palm medicine balls.

MY personal go to exercise for tiger claw nowadays is farmer carrying two 40lb Poland Spring jugs around my house.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ask that trainer to out perform the climber in using his grip to climb and the climber will win. There is already video of this online.
Dude this is a martial arts forum, this is a weight training thread. Why not join a Rock climbing forum. Can post your wisdom there. Here it's pretty much obsolet

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Of cause, that's in the climber's court yard. Ask the climber to fight or even stick fight, it's a whole different story.
Way off of anything I've stated. The only thing I'm talking about is muscle and tendon development. I wouldn't expect a climber to have the same muscle development that a person who fights with a stick fighter would have. I've already stated as much when I said that the activity dictates how the muscle developes.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know the exact exercise Jow Ga is talking about. It's not bad as far as a grip strength exercise, it's basically low budget training (you fill two jars with water or sand or rocks and then does farmer carry, basically, using your fingertips to secure the jar). Takes some practice, and hilarious when someone drops one. Saw one explode on the ground once. Very messy.

but to your point, you'll get it with almost any weight you can wrap your fingers around. I know badass dudes that can palm medicine balls.

MY personal go to exercise for tiger claw nowadays is farmer carrying two 40lb Poland Spring jugs around my house.
I know the local Goju ryu do this but also other exercises

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dude this is a martial arts forum, this is a weight training thread. Why not join a Rock climbing forum. Can post your wisdom there. Here it's pretty much obsolet
We were talking about muscle and tendon development and gym equipment.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Not by catching fish in the river? 😂

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you think of these things

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah but you're turning it into a Rock climbing worship thread. 😑
I've been talking about muscle development and function rock climber was just an example. I can switch to martial arts and some things in martial will follow the same pattern.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What do you think of these things

A more open grip will make a big difference compared to a smaller grip where the finger can wrap around the par. I have a 15 pound bar that's about the same diameter. I use it as weight training for my staff.

That open grip makes all the difference. Personally I think I would like just so the bar doesn't feel like it's cutting into my hand.

Last edited:

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Alan is talking about grip strength in general. I'm talking grip for a specific function. To me it's like running. The type of running determines how the muscles develop long distance and sprinters don't have the same type of muscle development. Soccer players run all the time but their legs don't look like distant runners leg nor do they look like sprinter legs. All 3 do different exercises to develop their legs for the specific running that they do.
There are a lot of complex interactions going on here. It's true that you can train for particular activities and improve your strength for those activities specific requirements and you will get benefits. It's also true that your genetics will play a role in how successful you are at adapting yourself to those activities and determine the absolute potential that you might reach at your peak. Some things are entirely genetically determined, others are largely genetically determined once you're a fully matured adult, some things are partially genetically determined and other things are pretty plastic.

Top performers in any athletic endeavor tend to look similar because they have the attributes that are most advantageous for that sport. There are of course outliers who break the mold because they have some other asset in which they a excel that allows them to overcome their deficiencies in other areas. Many of these characteristics are genetically fixed and can't be altered by anything short of major surgery. Some of them can be largely developed through training and some are in between.

Some of these are obvious and pretty fully understood. If you want to play pro basketball you better be over 6' tall or have some really extraordinarily, amazing athletic abilities to compensate for your lack of height. We know that once you're full grown you aren't getting any taller outside of hazardous leg lengthening surgery. Muscle belly length is another example. Not gonna change once you're an adult and your potential for muscle belly length probably isn't going to change once you're conceived. If you've got really short muscle bellies you aren't likely to be a pro bodybuilder not matter how hard you work, though you can still probably get really strong.

On the other end of the spectrum is skill development. Anyone can get good coaching and practice and improve their skill, though some people seem to have different aptitudes than others. Things like muscle fiber type distribution fall somewhere in the middle. It is probably largely, but not completely, genetically determined, but it can be shifted to some degree, not yet well established by research, towards fast or slow twitch fibers by training choices. VO2 max also falls in this category. Most evidence indicates that it is very largely genetically determined but can be improved somewhat, perhaps as much as 25%, likely more like 15-20%, but the rest is what you were born with.

Many of these observations represent a complex interaction of these factors. Sprinters and marathoners look different for a number of reasons. Sure, sprinters and marathoners train differently and if they switched to the opposite sport it would change their appearance to some degree. That's because everyone has a range of muscularity that they can develop and training is going to impact their musculature within the range that their genetics allow. This range is individual however, so it would take a genetically very unusual person to have the genes to be both a world class sprinter and a world class marathoner. Suggesting that Eliud Kipchoge would look like Usain Bolt and be able to sprint like him if he would just train for sprints is almost as silly as saying that I'd get to be as tall as Tacko Fall if only I'd put a lot of hours into playing center.
Ask that trainer to out perform the climber in using his grip to climb and the climber will win. There is already video of this online.

Again, a lot of complex interactions. Rock climbing is very skill dependent. Just like knowing how to throw someone in martial arts can feel effortless if you know how to do it and feel impossible if you don't, the same goes for a lot of rock climbing. Also, someone who has the genetic potential to be a pro bodybuilder, while potentially very strong, is also likely going to lack a lot of the other characteristics that make for a good rock climber. Since rock climbing is heavily skill dependent, sure that potential bodybuilder can probably get pretty good at rock climbing, but he's never going to be world class unless he's extraordinary in some other fashion.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I use a container like this. I grip the lid then rotate my wrist I use water but I can lift much because of a hollow bone in one of my fingers. Sometimes it swells when it gets weak.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not generally. Not big medicine balls, smaller ones.
I'll give that a try the next time I'm in the gym. I workout with a medicine ball but never thought about trying to palm it. I have small hands so stuff like that is difficult. I see if any of my new exercises have made me stronger in that area.

Latest Discussions