Tell me about your first day of training..

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know somewhere in this thread I talked about my first day in TKD now I’ll tell you about my first day and then the first class in Sikaran under the late Master Chartier.

I had just finished my last tournament under my TKD instructor and changed into my street clothing, said good by and went over to join the Sikaran people. We all went outside on the hillside to have some food and as it would happen some of the younger ones decided not to listen to anyone and started fooling around. Well after the 2nd warning Master Chartier got a little angry and decided to have us all do 1000 jumping jacks. Being in street shoes is not the way to do jumping jacks, my feet where bloody by the time we finished. Blisters came and went and bleed but I kept going (EGO) because the little ones never stopped and I as the new adult was not going to be showed up by them.

My first actual class was a few days later. I bowed onto the floor and went through the basic exercises with the class. Much more strenuous than what I was used to but I survived. Then I was given to a ten year old and he taught me the proper stances which I had to hold for what seemed at the time an eternity. While in a low horse stance I was shown the way the Sikaran people did their blocks. After that came a different way of doing a front kick than I had practiced before (thrust not snap). I trained under this ten year old for more than one practice till he felt I should join the rest of the class. I had and still have no problem with studying under him because he knew way more about the system than I did and he was darn good at teaching.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first day of Taekwon-Do was back in 1981. I was 10 and joined with my Dad for something to do together. I remember walking into the room; it was big, wooden floor, mirrors on one side and filled with people. The beginners class was an hour and a half and the new students were handed off to a first dan after being suitably worn out in warm ups. Trying to learn rising kicks, middle blocks, and punching was pretty tough. I ended up promoting to 9th gup before quitting. Lasted maybe a total of 4-5 months.

Came back to Taekwon-Do when I was 15 during the summer of 1986 and have been training ever since. A friend of mine had taken up judo and I remember thinking "If he can do a martial art I certainly can." The first day back was much the same as the first time around, only this time the black belts made a much bigger impression. They were very intimidating and I recall more than one class hoping they wouldn't notice me. My friend joined with me but quit around 7th gup.

There's only two people who are still training who were there before me. One is a 5th dan who I remember seeing test for 1st dan when I joined when I was 10, the other is a 5th dan who was a red belt when I joined again in 1986.

Pax,

Chris

danimal86

White Belt
Reaction score
Had my first Hap Ki Do class in 8 years this morning (Leesburg). I was surprisingly clumsy and nearly punched my instructor in the face accidentally. *doh!*

I'm trying to go to a Krav Maga course this afternoon (Reston) to see how that looks as well. From what I have read, it seems really practical but we'll see how it goes.

swegin

White Belt
Reaction score
well i did TKD for years but that was is when i was in JHS to HS but dont remember my first day so I will talk about my first day of BJJ from a few weeks ago.
I am not in good shape by any means so I was nervous but the instructor was really cool and was like "just go at your own pace". So we started with 10 minutes of warmups, various kinds of running, pushups, sit ups, an specific bjj excercises. Then we did a round of take downs. From there I was shown a kimura from mount, drilled that, then a transition to the armbar if it failed, drilled that for awhile. From there learned a basic sweep and drilled that for and then moved on to an escape from side mount. Then i reviewed all of the moves with this extremely patient woman who was my partner and then finally the instructor. It was then time in the class where everyone in the class would do live rolling, first from guard pass then from knees or feet. I wasnt allowed to roll, told me I could on my 3rd class which i did. So I hung back and watched everyone roll and took it all in, except for the time i had to excuse myself to go throw up in the bathroom.
Hung with everyone after class and they were truly encouraging and great.
I had tried out another school which i wont give the name of, but its well known if you are in NYC area, and the owner/head instructor couldnt be more rude and obnoxious.
Truly night and day.

pinky

White Belt
Reaction score
My first day was one of the best days ever i always wanted to be a ufc fighter so i joined and i played football but i loved martial arts more than anything so i quit but we sparred the first night and i think im still sore from it lol.

Rolls_Royce_Phantom

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Twice I have had fight-or-flight at the door and in both places I got beat back with a broomstick. My first ever of the two was a morning karate class were I came in on no-sleep from doing ma research the night before and nursing a sore back from squats. I made the mistake of wearing a sweatshirt and didn't drink any fluids. Luckily I made it through the "lets see if the new guy flakes out" physical test, and was complimented on my ability for a white belt. (I think I did all of the bb req. counts, I don't recall, just hearing some people collapse to my left..) It all went downhill from there as the combination of above factors melted my brain and exposed me as a true novice for my lack of new complicated skills. I look at the stuff that confused me then and wonder what planet I was on. Great experience all in all.

;)

rosworms

White Belt
Reaction score
My first day of returning to Taekwondo went well.... for the first half of the class. I was on my back for the second half due to my passing out from a combination of overworking myself when my body's not used to it and mostly from dehydration.

The class continued while Master Boltz sat and talked to me while I was lying on the floor. We basically used that time to go over how the school is run and stuff. I knew I wasn't going to continue with class tonight, but he wouldn't let me leave until he knew I could sit up and stay conscious long enough to drive.

LOL I still plan on going back next week though.

DragonHorse

White Belt
Reaction score
probably the toughest day of my life. I know exactly what you mean about the dehydration too.

Mindfulness

White Belt
Reaction score
My first day consisted of standing in Yee chee kiu mu ma (goat clamping stance) clamping a focus mit inbetween my knees for 2 and a half hours.

FUN!! lol ;)

Cheers,

Mindfulness

chaos1551

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My first day was simple. I was given instructions, school rules and shown a few things to practice:

How to bow
When classes were
How to show respect
Horse stance, reverse punch, front kick

How to taunt your opponent (i.e. ahhhhh your kung fu no good)
Never make eye contact with the instructor

Just kidding. No taunting or eye contact rule.

I remember being quite nervous. I remember my instructor doing a few forms which I thought were amazing. When it looked like my brain was going to pop and ooze out of my ears, the guy cut me loose. :erg:

My thighs were very sore.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Never make eye contact with the instructor

Just kidding. No taunting or eye contact rule.

Yikes! I was about to ask if he was a David Lynch fan. :ultracool

My first class was great (of course, I wouldn't have gone back otherwise, and I wouldn't have reason to be perusing MT. When I first showed up to my first class, the only person I'd ever met who practiced MA was a narcissistic loose cannon. So I expected some chauvinism. There was plenty of machismo, but everyone was incredibly encouraging and friendly. I felt (unnecessarily) rather klutzy compared to everyone else, but I got over it pretty quickly.

And now, after one whole year of practice, I'm a total death machine!! :lol:

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The year was 1985, I was 5 years old, and I LOVED the Karate Kid movie! My dad and I started taking Moo Duk Kwan Tae Kwon Do together. The first day of class, I learned maybe 4-5 techniques in the 2 hour class, 30 minutes of which I spent doing push-ups for breaking the rules. I talked more than I listened, and I paid more attention to what was going on around me then I did listening to my instructor.

I can't believe I wanted to go back after that! It took me 7 years to EARN my black belt, but the standards were a bit different back then, generally speaking. But here we are 25 years later, and I am now a 5th dan. There is only one other student out of our whole association that started the year that I did that is still in TKD.

I am proud to say that I am an instructor in school that is high quality, low quantity, extremely low profit (actually non-existant), and traditional. There are times that I wish our school could increase our revenue a bit, but we strive to run the school as an educational institution and not a business. But I digress.. .

My first class was alot of punishment and reprimanding, but I wanted to learn so bad that it was a minor concellation.

Slav

White Belt
Reaction score
My first day was not very intensive. I was making a great number of simple straight blows but it was exactly what I needed for the first time. In such a way I understood what a long thrilling journey I'l have in future and came to the second day of training in a good mood :)

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first class was september 10th, 2009.

Truthfully.....I was nervous and was very clumsy trying to do stuff in front of the Black Belts that i had never done before. i was the only white belt in the class at that time, so felt really awkward. anyway I wasnt good at it at first, so i was sucking big time! but i didnt have to do much trying to move, not on the first day, since the very first thing they taught me was seiken zuki all i had to do was practice that for first day. BB's and senseis are great though. Great teachers and coaches and mentors for beginning Shotokan-ka! They knew exactly how to teach me and train me. They teach you blocks and punches while standing first. once you've got that down, only then do they teach you how to move forward in crescent step while doing it. But first day I learn seiken zuki and I think maybe jodan age uke and chudan uchi uke. Or the other ones. gedan barai maybe. I dont remember exatcly what blocks I was taught on the first day. But aisde from feeling really clumsy, I enjoyed the lesson my first day.

TKDLady

White Belt
Reaction score
hey Everyone! So my first day of training was actually yesterday. I had signed up for a free trial class of TKD along with my sister. When we got there we were so excited and everyone looked really friendly. We started out with stretching, pushups,and crunches.Then we jogged some laps around the dojang. After that we practiced some basic kicks and punches, along with this really fun obstacle course(I think that was my favorite part ;) Overall it was a very exhilirating experience, my sister and I fell in love right away and we signed up for the program which we start today. We got our uniforms and our white belts and if there's one way to describe how we felt, well it was like we found our home.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
hey Everyone! So my first day of training was actually yesterday. I had signed up for a free trial class of TKD along with my sister. When we got there we were so excited and everyone looked really friendly. We started out with stretching, pushups,and crunches.Then we jogged some laps around the dojang. After that we practiced some basic kicks and punches, along with this really fun obstacle course(I think that was my favorite part ;) Overall it was a very exhilirating experience, my sister and I fell in love right away and we signed up for the program which we start today. We got our uniforms and our white belts and if there's one way to describe how we felt, well it was like we found our home.

Thats how I felt when i started shotokan. The dojo is my home! :)

shane

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
when i went to the training class at that time i was very nervous , I was tense and didn't believe, after observing my children's class, that it was going to be all that hard. I was very incorrect, but I was very snared at the end of it. I relished discovering the new boots and how to correctly fall.

Spanky

White Belt
Reaction score
I stopped in at a kung fu school about a week ago, just to observe a class in progress, and get some info on the school.

One of the masters told me to join the next class. I told him I was there just to observe, but he almost insisted I take a free trial class. So I did.

Let me say that it was the most fun and intense workout I've been through. The crazy part was about 20 minutes into the class, one of the senior students turned to me and said: "OK, we're done warming-up now". I was already dripping with sweat and getting a little light headed.

The following day, nearly every muscle in my body was on fire. But boy, was I hooked!

jfor

White Belt
Reaction score
I don´t remember a lot of my first day of training of muay thai (like 7 years ago), but I do remember that I felt I was going to faint from exhaustion.
I've never done this sport before and we start the class training some punches. I remember the shoulder and arm pain (I think that was the worst pain, wort than any kick I've received, hehe).
Anyway, that's what I remember from my first day of training. BUT even so, I really like this sport, I really enjoy training with my friends and also by myself with my heavy bag :D

Greetings!

Latest Discussions