Tell me about your first day of training..

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
On my first day, I paid with 25.00 silver dollars I had been saving. I went to Dick Raney's kenpo karate school here in San Antonio,TX. That was in April 1970. He taughtm my 1st and 2nd lessons,then tested me at the end of the intro course. It was for 5 lessons.

dart68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The only thing I really remember about my first day was seeing myself in the front window reflection wearing a t-shirt and sweat pants while everyone else was wearing there gi and feeling really out of place. I bought a gi that night.

Silv3r

White Belt
Reaction score
i remember the black belt that first helped me out. she said i did pretty good. the only thing i remember completely messing up is bowing out at the end of class.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone. My First Day Of Training Was At The Tender Age Of 38. After Being A Couch Potato For A Good Number Of Years My Body Got Quite A Shock. There Was A 20 Minute Warm Up Drill. I Thought I Was Going Die!! The Actual Class Part Was Very Embarassing. They Were Doing Blocks And I Felt Like I Was Swatting Flies Instead Of Actualy Accomplishing Anything. Then We Went To The Kicking Portion I Don't Think That I Went The Same Direction, Much Less, Preformed Any Of The Kicks That Class Did. The Instructors And My Class Mates Were Awsome. They Took The Time To Help Me Out. When The Class Was Over I Had To Go Home And Take A Nap!! Even With That Said I Had So Much Fun That I Kept Comming Back And Have Been Training For Almost 6 Years.

wrc619

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My new first day of training was in Guam. i felt that no trip to the far east would be complete without martial arts training of some sort. My island family took me to watch thier kids practice Universal Kempo one day. The instructor was very well mannered. Two weeks later, I was in the adult class, doing dog sprawls and shrimping for warm up. I have worked out no less than three times a week for most of my adult life, and I was still sore until the next class.

CrimsonPhoenix

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't really remember my first day of Tae Kwon Do training at my first school, but I do remember that I was about ten years old and I had been wanting to take martial arts for quite awhile. Some of my friends had starting taking from this school and six months later I joined.

My current school left quite an impression on me on my first day. Some friends and I from my first school were invited to come to another Tae Kwon Do school by a guy that took from there. Our previous instructor had moved, so we decided to take him up on the offer.

I remember I was a pretty cocky twelve year old -- mainly due to the fact that I thought I could just kind of pick up from where I had left off. My vision was completely shattered at the start of class where we went through half an hour of warming up and stretching. I just about died. My friend and I named this class 'stretchercise' for quite a while. Next I was shown a basic form which was very similar to what I already knew. I learned quite a bit about basics and stances that night and left with a very bad impression because I thought my school was better than this one, which was quite a stupid thought actually. . .

Anyway, now I've grown to love the school and wouldn't miss a single class for anything. Big difference, huh?

jkembry

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow...my first day of training...well in 36 or 37 years anyway. I was scared to death, and felt so awkward...come to think of it I still do. Every move and exercise felt so out of place and un-natural. I did make it through the entire 2 hours and have not progressed to purple belt - but still feel like a white belt. Some things are more natural now than they were, but the frustration still gets to me. The key for me was to not worry about the youngsters in the class and progress at my own pace.

Today, I am happy I have stuck with it. And, unless something happens to alter it, I plan on training till my time has come.

- Jeff -

Tomu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
2 Things.
Standing in Jigo Hontai until I thought my thighs would explode.
And learing Ukemis.
I had a headache for a while because I wasn't tucking my chin properly.
But I was hooked from the start.:)

KhateCh

White Belt
Reaction score
Hm, my first training day...

It was great. I love remembering it, I was just so anxious --in that time i was always anxious. I had been wanting to get into some type of Martial Art since long, and the time had finally arrived!

I just gave everything in, I was somehow uncertain about being so hasty with the new movements but I did it well --surprisively.

At the end of the class, sensei came up and asked "you seem to really like this, which was your previous art?" and I was like OMG I had never done anything at all. But I think it's not because I did it that well in the first class, but rather because my excessive confidence in my self... hmm... such times. I was so like that!

DojangMom

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
LOL! Well, now I don't feel so "special" anymore! Here I thought I was so unique because I'm pushing 40 and starting a martial art (TKD) for the first time in my life after 15 years of absence from any form of physical exercise. We had signed up our 8 year old son about 5 months ago, and since then, I've been sitting against the wall, watching the classes, growing more and more enamored with the sport. Grossly out of shape, I went to my son's dojang for a demo class, just to try it out and see if I could handle it. Loved the class, but I couldn't walk for 5 days afterwards. Clearly, I needed to learn how to pace myself and not try to keep up with the younger, higher belts! So, once I got the OK from my doctor (always a good idea for us older folks), I signed up. First "real" class was fantastic. Was I sore for a few days afterwards? Absolutely. Was it worth the pain? Absolutely!! :D

KickingAngel16

White Belt
Reaction score
First, some background. I've been watching my boyfriend spar and practice in Tae Kwon DO and it just drew me in. He's a 2nd dan black belt. His sister and mom are also black belts there. I got to know the people there and started to get used to the place. I then signed up.

On my first day, I was nervous. I was not coming in to just watch, but actually learn. It was a mixture of nervousness and excitement. When I walked in, it took a while for the insructor to notice it was my first day. She helped me get through it and gave me tips. I enjoyed it so much though. I practiced a lot since I enjoyed it so much and I was ready for my first belt test 2 weeks later. After the test, my master said he would like for me to consider joining the olympic sparring team since I have strong kicks. My boyfriend is on team, but he's still in Puerto Rico. I've been going to team practices without him there and I still enjoy it. It's worth the sweat and labored breathing. The team coach even invited me to do sparring this Friday. I can't wait! I know I went a little overboard, but it was a lot that came on all at once. I mean, I've only been in it for a month. Sorry for going past the first day though. It just led to a chain of events.

lemon_meringue

Green Belt
Reaction score
I remember being really nervous on my first day. I kind of hung around at the door for a while after realising there were no other girls in the class. I saw people doing advanced ukemi and thought "ok, maybe this isn't for me..." The head sensei came over and introduced himself and managed to get me through the door. I'm not the most confident of people, so this was quite an achievement :D He then spent the entire lesson with me at the back of the room showing me some very basic rolls and wrist escapes. At the end of the class, the other students (all 6 of them lol) came over and introduced themselves and made me feel really at ease. Overall, my first lesson was a great experience, and as I look back I can't believe how far I've come since then.

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well the first time I went to a karate class was with my brother who was taking classes. I was only three and there were not classes for my age, but I did my part on the side. (I knew then that I really loved kenpo.) So I don't really remember exactly what went on. I really started when I was ten. The first class I learned a self defense technique and don't remember much else.

Mimir

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I remember my first day all the time. My daughter was the one who started us on the journey. She had seen a Taekwondo demo that was done at her school and wanted to try it. I took her to class and watched for over a year. At around the same time, my wife and I had another baby girl. Understand that there is an 11 year difference between my baby and the next oldest. I got to thinking that I would be 57 when the baby was getting ready to graduate from high school. I was very overweight and didn't really do anything for exercise. It didn't take much thought to realize that if I didn't do something, I might not be there to see it. I had wanted to start when I was a teenager, but couldn't afford it. I decided that I was there at the school anyway, so I joined class.

I remember being very nervous and thinking that here I was, the oldest person in the class (1 month from turning 39) as well as the fattest. I have to say that not one person ever said anything about either of those things. I would say that people went out of their way to make me feel welcome and part of the class. I admit, it took several weeks before I could even finish a class completely and still not one negative remark.

stonewall1450

White Belt
Reaction score
Well my 1st day was a few days ago. I stared MMA and I really love it. The 1st day was a fitness class and I wore my tail out. I was sore the next day, but went right back to the wrestling class. I love this stuff and I am officially hooked. Im actually laid up right now with a sore back(slid foward with my grappling partner. He tried to gain control as i pushed foward and he hit his knees pulling me up as my legs slid back lol. perpendicular to the mat didnt feel good but im not quitting). Back to 1st day.

I had to be pushed onto the mat because i wasnt sure if they wanted me to jump right in or to wait for the 1st excrsise. The atmosphere is so relaxed and they teach you. I am glad I came here 1st before joining. I learned that you need to check the place out before you go. And this place is the best thing that has happened to me.

zendokai guy

White Belt
Reaction score
i dont rember i was only seven years old when i started TKD but at forteen when i went to muey thai i was in shock the raw power i think just blew my mind.
at 17 was my first lesson at karate i got whooped i thought that i was all that and paid the price (it was one of those real real old school sensais).

Latest Discussions