Tell me about your first day of training..

cecivy

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all

My first day came about after having attended my son's first belt test in the adult TKD class. I thought I was too old to do this while being the only female in class. But to make a long story short it was only a few weeks until I took the plunge. I kick myself when I think I should have been doing this years ago but life really didn't let me. I started hapkido 6 months ago after doctor told me he wanted me to lose 5 pounds....i'm petite. Since then I've lost 17 and I'm feeling great eating better. Oh yes one sideline....I'm a trained dancer so my master's jaw dropped when I executed spin kicks, leaps, rolls, etc without a hitch. I can pick up movement just by watching so that is a BIG plus since I am 51 almost 2 but not quite. :eek:). Anyway I am now working on transitioning from orange to green belt. Who says it can't be done?

By the way, my first day found me out of breath at 15 jumping jacks. Doing 100 now plus push ups like the boys do. Not as many but I can do more than 15 on a good day. Those killer dance classes I took all my life kicked in and muscles said "here I am!" Spent 2 years watching my son in Karate and took it all in visually, another plus.

Hapki!!!

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, I was 6 years old when I took my first Martial Arts class. I remember it was a private lesson with the owner of the school. He taught me the basic blocks (upward block, inward block, outward block, downward block, and pushdown) and the first side of short form 1, which involved the blocks I just mentioned. The class lasted 45 minutes, then after class, he took me onto the mat to meet the instructors that would be teaching me from now on. Today, I am proud to be an instructor at that same school after 13 years of training.

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I certainly remember my first day of training. It was at a Jeet Kune Do school. I was 1 years old and had just finished up my delicious Big Mac sandwich in the car outside of the school haha. We were working on heavy conditioning, bag work, and focus mitt training that day. It certainly was not a very good class for me as I seemed to be moving in slow motion because of that Big Mac. Certainly taught me a good lesson though!

Lee Ch'a

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, technically my first day of training occured when I was 6 years old, so I don't remember much. Unfortunately, I was a silly little 6 year old and told my mom I liked class but didn't want to practice at home. She eventually decided that paying for the classes wasn't worth it if I didn't practice. Naturally, she was right, but I regretted once I was a bit older and smart enough to understand what I missed out on. Unfortunately our little town only offered martial arts those couple years, and then there was a break again until a couple of years ago when another gym came to town. I am now nearly 19 and training hard and loving every minute of it! My first class more recently when I was 16 just involved me feeling dumb and awkward as I fell on my butt repeatedly when attempting some back spin kicks. But it's all worth it!

MAist25- Funny story about the Big Mac! I understand- since I've been in Martial Arts I've certainly been eating better; I simply crave better food as well! Nothing like fast food to slow you down, ironically enough- considering the title of the food. ;)

Mike Melillo

White Belt
Reaction score
I remember the sore wrists I got from learning to handle a padded shinai many years ago, but my first day recollection is from re-entering the martial arts after a decade and change a few months ago... I was starting over a lot older, heavier, and with a chronic autoimmune disease... I was worried I'd break a hip doing the bow-in! Regardless, the warmup and stretching was strenuous but good. The first half of the night was dedicated to learning basic punches and stances. The footwork was unusual and tough to master, being so different from what I'd known. By the first hours' break, I was fairly winded and sore, and Sensei asked how I was doing and if I was going to participate in the second half. Thinking it would be equally as strenuous, I asked if I could just watch. I wish I hadn't. They went straight into tambo drills, something I probably could have picked up on with ease. Live and learn.

Last edited:

ShotoKHAN

White Belt
Reaction score
I remember my first day feeling VERY out of place in the school. A lot of dojos did a 'try it before you buy it' policy, and they let me try the class out first before they even offered me anything. When I say that, I mean, they didn't even offer me a gi to wear. haha!

so here I was, feeling like a fish out of water, everyone donned in white and colored belts, and here i am in shorts and a tank top, being set aside, and being shown a horse stance first. I remember the legs BURNING after a few set of straight punches were taught. I wanted then and there to ask about the 'fist at the hip' rule, but knew to keep my mouth shut and keep an open mind. I learned the front punches, rising block, and downward block the first day, along with the front snap kick.

Like good martial arts schools, they would only teach me a little at a time, a few techniques per belt, so perfection was the aim of the game. Still that first day was a fun crash course, and I wanted back in the next week, gi and all. ;)

brownie710

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My first class of ZDK was great. Everyone was welcoming and the physical warmup was a great little workout. I was allowed to work on forms, 3 step kumite, shown a few self defense moves was given a few sheets detailing what to study for my 8th kyu test as well as history and rules of the dojo. I was told since it was the middle of the month to just see if I liked the class and attend for the rest of the month (about 5 more classes) and not to worry about paying. Additional classes have been slower paced to let me work more on forms but the overall experience of the first gave me a great idea of what future classes will be like.

Burrows

White Belt
Reaction score
Accrington/Lancashire (North West of the UK)
My first week of Muay Thai training was last week! My hips,Quads,Abs,Traps/Kneck was the worse of muscles.. they was so sore but it hasn't stopped me from continuing training Muay thai. Now Iv'e started training 3 times a week as i love it. My kneck is a bit sore now from clinch work. Overall it's a great sport and you need good fitness for it, I was nearly sick on my first lesson haha. (Now I run 3-4 times a week :D).

BobS761

White Belt
Reaction score
Mine was about 7 months ago. I was sitting in dojang waiting for my son, who started a month earlier, and thought I could do it as well, didn't look that hard, and I was there anyway. Well, at 50 years old, I could barely walk for about 4 days afterwards. But I'm still there training, and still improving. Excellent intsructor, that works our butts off, yet encourages us as we progress.

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
I certainly remember my first day of training. It was at a Jeet Kune Do school. I was 1 years old and had just finished up my delicious Big Mac sandwich in the car outside of the school haha. We were working on heavy conditioning, bag work, and focus mitt training that day. It certainly was not a very good class for me as I seemed to be moving in slow motion because of that Big Mac. Certainly taught me a good lesson though!

What? o_O How could you do martial Arts at 1 year old? Let alone remember your first day!

Either you sir are a complete badass, or you defy the laws of science...which makes you a badass.

malteaser14

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I thouroughly enjoyed my 1st session... Even if it did end down A&E!! Lol!

So my 1st class we did the normal, warm ups, learn to make a fist, footwork drills, and a bit of pad work. Ok all of this was fine... I then remember my instructor saying "only do this if ur confident u know what ur doing... Newbies, don't attempt this!" (obviously I failed my 1st lesson in listening!) he demonstrated a jumping front snap kick, and a double jumping front snap kick (I think that's what it's called! Where both feet are kicking at the same time!)

As I have a tiny bit of dance experience I did the jumping front snap kick with ease (similar to a dancing scissor kick! )
Sir saw this and was impressed and asked if I wanted to try the double kick... So me being me, thinking "that looks a bit like a pike jump in trampolining" I gave it a go. To my amazement I managed the kick... I shocked myself that much that I forgot to bring my legs back to land the kick!! U can imagine how fast I fell!! Lol! Needless to say, falling that hard, in boxing gloves, I broke my skaphoid in the base of my thumb! Not that I realised this until after I finished the session and went for a drink and found I couldn't hold a glass of wine! Oops!!

However, I have healed and returned... And learnt the listen a bit more carefully and leave the senior work to the seniors!! Lol :)

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
After my introductory classes, my first 'official' class was a Saturday 'open rank' class so I showed up early to warm up and started stretching in the warm-up area waiting for the kids class to finish...now, I KNOW my instructor said the class started at 11:30 am but the more I waited, the more black belts kept showing up and waiting with me...then when it was time to go into class, and I walked in, more and more black belts flooded in....as class started - I realized I was in a room with 24 black belts and myself!!! So, I did my best to keep up - but all I kept thinking was - I made a mistake, I goofed up the time...they were all friendly, but - REALLY!! ALL BLACK BELTS?!? Afterwards, I asked my instructor if I goofed up the time and when I told him why, he just laughed and said no, that he had over 50 active black belts and although it didn't happen very often, sometimes that's how Saturdays were..:) The best part though is that those black belts are now my friends along with our other 200+ active students who I am proud to call my 2nd family!!:)

***bows*** Kris :surfer:

Quercus

White Belt
Reaction score
34 years of age. First Training was last Thursday. I've been to four so far over these two weeks, and am doing all ages classes at the local TSD Dojang with my boys, who are 5 and 7.

We visited on Wednesday, spoke with KJN Ferraro, and were very impressed with the low-key vibe and the excellence we saw in instruction and excution by the students. (Green/Red class was in session.)

The ongoing growth of the Dojang was clear, even to my completely novice eyes (never had a particular interest in MA, though I've read widely in eastern religions and philosophy. After we met briefly in the office, KJN Ferraro drew some dividers across the mats, briefly and modestly introduced his teacher, and prepared to train with what looked like a pike of some kind. I looked up who's who in TSD and saw that this teacher is a 9th Dan who lives here in Connecticut.

We went to dinner, discussed it, and the family was universally in favor of signing on for a year. I'm glad that they ask for that kind of commitment, and offer a 1-month notice clause should anything change. I feel committed but not locked in.

So my first training was the very next day, and after getting the paperwork out of the way, My sons and I and one other young man worked with Sai Bom Nim Prokopis, who was friendly and effective-- we all learned quickly. I've already nearly memorized my first form, and feel ready to practice it at home and work with my sons.

"Prokopis" is a Greek name. I looked it up. It means progress, advance. I also noticed that this particular Thursday was a new moon-- a symbol of new beginnings. I certainly feel as though a new beginning has been made, and have already felt the benefit of more focus, better sleep, and better energy, especially at work, where I teach in a rough urban high school. Several students said that I look like I've been working out--- and only after three trainings! (the second one did kick my butt-- I was pouring sweat after working hard on kicks, and was embarrassed to be then sent to work on breaking and striking moves with an assistant. It's pretty easy to break a grip when you're drenched!)

And most importantly, the boys love it!

Tang Soo!

mmartist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Wow, my first day... It definitely wasn't a walk in a park.
During my first day in my new Krav Maga school I was beaten a lot. I thought that I will quit, but now I'm grateful I didn't. It's really hard, but the feeling after a class is unbelievable.

Udel

White Belt
Reaction score
My first day of training. Looking back almost 20 years (I was 6) and the only thing I remember was that I threw up on the dojang floor.

Now I do remember that I was extremely nervous and scared, only because at that time the school was very small and there were older kids in there and I vaguely remember thinking "oh no, I think I am going to get beat up by these older kids.

Flash forward, now being an instructor I have sympathy for those kids who throw up on my floor. Luckily it has only happened twice.

AlwaysDreaming

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm sixteen years old and had my first training this thursday. (Normally it's on wednesday but as some of you might know we had elections in holland) I thought I would just die during the warming up! But somehow I got trough it. The first hour or so I was really scared fotunatly we have three hour trainings. In the end I totally loved it. I signed up for 6 months. I have a lot to learn but I have many years to do so!

Latest Discussions