Do you need to prove whether a strategy or technique combo work?

isshinryuronin

Senior Master
Reaction score
A: Dear master! How come my punch doesn't knock down my opponent?
B: Because your punch is not powerful enough.
A: Could you prove a powerful punch can knock down someone?
B: ..........Oh, good, you're awake. I think your jaw is broke, but don't worry ,the ambulance is on the way.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To develop strong

- grip, or
- head lock,

there is no short cut but to put training time into it.

Kung Fu = time.

Who said anything about shortcuts. "Train more" is a generic, non-specific answer that isn't helpful.

When my students have a problem, I either tell them:
  • What corrections they need to make in order to fix the problem
  • What they need to train in order to fix the problem
  • What they will learn later on that will help fix the problem
If I asked my Master why I couldn't land a headlock, and his answer was just "train more", without any specific feedback on how to make it actually work, I'd assume one of the following:
  • He doesn't actually know how to land one
  • He isn't capable of teaching me how to land one
  • He doesn't care enough to bother helping me fix my problem
I'd assume he's just hiding behind mysticism to cover for bad teaching.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In MA, there are

1. 50% technique (such as how to throw a punch) and
2. 50% ability (such as how to develop punching power).

One can learn technique in school. He has to develop ability at home by himself. The ability development require time.

I have told my students that one day when their students cannot break their grip, they have developed some ability.

That first grip break answers your question. The technique is sort of sound but doesn't work. Multiple bites work but he is resetting each go which is working against himself.

But the only way to know is by doing it.

The lab is a vital component to developing a skill.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When my students have a problem, I either tell them:
  • What corrections they need to make in order to fix the problem.
When my student's head lock does work on their opponent, I would tell them that:

- They need to bend their opponent's spine side way (not forward).
- When they lock on their opponent's head, their locking arm elbow should point straight down to the ground.
- They need to put their opponent's head on their chest.
- They need to control their opponent's leading arm.
- They need to use hay-maker to knock on the back of their opponent's head and knock them out half way.

If all these requirement has be met and if their head lock still don't work, they will need to spend more time to hang on the pole.

my-pole-hang.png

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That first grip break answers your question. The technique is sort of sound but doesn't work.
May be I'm just bragging about myself here (not may be, I'm). :)

Whenever I have a big and strong new student, I always ask him to test on the grip breaking. I can always break his grip on the 1st try. My big and strong new student cannot break my grip within 10 tries. This is one way that I can earn some trust from a new student.

I still remember when my teacher was still alive. Whenever someone said that someone was great in MA, my teacher always said, "Just let John to get a grip on him and see whether if he can break it or not." I know my teacher gave me an high score for my grip strength.

My grip strength gave me a lot of advantage during my tournament time. When my opponent could not break away my grip, I had completely disable his offense and I could almost attack him whenever I wanted to.

my-jacket-tear.gif

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When my student's head lock does work on their opponent, I would tell them that:

- They need to bend their opponent's spine side way (not forward).
- When they lock on their opponent's head, their locking arm elbow should point straight down to the ground.
- They need to put their opponent's head on their chest.
- They need to control their opponent's leading arm.
- They need to use hay-maker to knock on the back of their opponent's head and knock them out half way.

If all these requirement has be met and if their head lock still don't work, they will need to spend more time to hang on the pole.

my-pole-hang.png

This is good. This isn't what you described before, is why I was confused.