Leg Sweeps

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taking someones balance is a valuable tool when it comes to self defense. Even if you don't actually take the person to the ground, simply causing them to widen their stance, buys you more time for follow-ups.

In my art, Kenpo, checking the leg with your leg is something that is done is just about every technique. A simple change in ones stance, can check, pin, or buckle the leg of the attacker. Additionally, a low kick to the inside or outside of the leg, near the ankle, can move the leg enough to give a change in their body.

Is this something that is in your art as well?

Mike

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I study SKK. Im only a purple belt and some of my material has take downs done sweeps or picking the ankle. At the higher ranks they introduce what my insturctor calls "disturbing the balance" into sparing, which is just what you said about kicking to the inside or outside of the leg to open you opponent up. That eventually leads to full take downs.

I think it is very important to practice this. It can give you the advantage when facing an attacker that is bigger than you. Checking their leg can cause them to open up long enough to end the fight quickly

good topic

B

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Taking someones balance is a valuable tool when it comes to self defense. Even if you don't actually take the person to the ground, simply causing them to widen their stance, buys you more time for follow-ups.

In my art, Kenpo, checking the leg with your leg is something that is done is just about every technique. A simple change in ones stance, can check, pin, or buckle the leg of the attacker. Additionally, a low kick to the inside or outside of the leg, near the ankle, can move the leg enough to give a change in their body.

Is this something that is in your art as well?

Mike

I'm also an SKK student, yes, leg checks are an important part of just about every technique. At lower levels, it is not always shown how to check your opponent lower extremities, mostly for safety purposes. But, in other cases, it is not shown out of ignorance. In some systems, no names mentioned, the instructor themselves have not been taught properly. In some cases, this is becoming a lost art, due to the watering down of the system.

Anyway, I practice this. I call it disrupting balance. Balance is key within all martial arts. Yes, your opponent can still swing in an off-balanced state, but they will be unable to generate any power, or accuracy for that matter. Keeping them off-balanced will keep you in a superior position as well. Quite simply stated, if they are off-balance, they are trying to recover as your are pummeling them.

Nice thread MJS

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A quick front snap to the shins works very well..In Combat Hapkido it's called a distraction technique..

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also an SKK student, yes, leg checks are an important part of just about every technique. At lower levels, it is not always shown how to check your opponent lower extremities, mostly for safety purposes. But, in other cases, it is not shown out of ignorance. In some systems, no names mentioned, the instructor themselves have not been taught properly. In some cases, this is becoming a lost art, due to the watering down of the system.

Unfortunately, I've seen this many times and not necessarily in SKK.

Anyway, I practice this. I call it disrupting balance. Balance is key within all martial arts. Yes, your opponent can still swing in an off-balanced state, but they will be unable to generate any power, or accuracy for that matter. Keeping them off-balanced will keep you in a superior position as well. Quite simply stated, if they are off-balance, they are trying to recover as your are pummeling them.

Great point and that seems like the main objective IMO. If its possible to distract them by having them catch their balance, it opens the door to other things.

Nice thread MJS

Thanks. :)

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Lower leg locks, presses, takes and kicks are pretty much the first apps you learn in ba gua... the basic turning steps (both inside and outside) are also attacks, so i guess that's why we start there. As 14 Kempo so eloquently explained, they are attacks to take balance. Theoretically, you should be able to continually disrupt yr opponent in this way, preventing yrself fom being attacked, but that would just be hubris!
icon10.gif

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A well timed leg sweep that drives the opponent to terra firma can end or change a fight in an instant. Punchers lose some of their aggressiveness & kickers become afraid to stand on one leg.

Leg locks are just plain nasty. Not good for your attackers ankle or knee joint health.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wish I had some video of GM Bong Yul Shin demonstrating sweeps.

Looked effortless.

I remember seeing his uke lifted to a completely horizontal position at about 6' up in the air before dropping straight down to the mat. And that was probably because he was being nice.

I imagine on the street he would sweep so the attacker ended up coming down like a lawn dart.

Insley Stiles

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Greetings,

In Uechi Ryu we have several leg sweeps, blocks, and traps. Putting someone off balance is an extremely effective way of getting the upper hand. We also use shin kicks to the leg and while they are typically done to the femur or knee, they are very effective when used down low by the ankle. Depending on the force of the kick, it can be used to break balance or take the leg out from under an opponent completely. We also use what we call short angle kicks. These are done at an outward angle to your opponent and are done with the blade of the foot. these are effective anywhere from ribs to ankle and can be very effective in breaking balance.

Great thread!!

Regards,
Ins

Kosho Gakkusei

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In Kosho Ryu we have something called Aruki No Waza which means walking tricks. Aruki is all about occupying space. You take a position and place your legs in proximity to your opponents such that in order for him to strike you his leg needs the space your leg already occupies. This will lead to him throwing himself off balance or buckling his own leg. Very tricky stuff. In Kosho sometimes we even practice throwing someone to the ground without laying a hand on them.

_Don Flatt

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cuong Nhu sparring allows for people to sweep. We also allow (and almost encourage) leg catches, which are more common from what I've seen. Then again, we're a little crazy. We do, after all, allow groins kicks. :erg:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do leg checking, sweeping, and low kicks. They are a veri integral part of oru "street fighting/defense" training. And we also do them in classes and in knockdown tourneys.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
A quick front snap to the shins works very well..In Combat Hapkido it's called a distraction technique..

I like this tech, too, since so many leg sweeps I was taught put the attacker as off balance as the opponent. Want my guys to have their legs under them longer than the other guy. So to follow up on what Drac started, I like to follow a toe kick to the shin with either: a quick repeat to the same spot; or, a quick follow up with toe to the inner thigh, and if that can be repeated to the same spot, we're good.

So, yes I like sweeps, but only if my balance is not compromised.

Good question, Mike. :asian: A lot more to it than I first thought. :ultracool

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've started learning sweeps at yellow belt in TKD, and what Drac had described somewhere before then. They're often interpreted in our forms as such, and will be shown when broke down step by step.

Hmmm... Well, I'm still learning quite a bit in Ba Gua...

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lower leg locks, presses, takes and kicks are pretty much the first apps you learn in ba gua... the basic turning steps (both inside and outside) are also attacks, so i guess that's why we start there. As 14 Kempo so eloquently explained, they are attacks to take balance. Theoretically, you should be able to continually disrupt yr opponent in this way, preventing yrself fom being attacked, but that would just be hubris!
icon10.gif

Actually, this is probably one of the most fascinating things that I'm learning right now, the leg sweeps, presses, & controls. & it's so much faster than I would have thought it could be.
Now that I've seen this stuff, I don't know how I got along without it!

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Actually, this is probably one of the most fascinating things that I'm learning right now, the leg sweeps, presses, & controls. & it's so much faster than I would have thought it could be.
Now that I've seen this stuff, I don't know how I got along without it!

Yeah, isn't it fun?
icon10.gif
My favourite take is to get outside the line of my partner's jab, bringing my knee behind their leading leg and then just screw-drop my knee behind theirs. Feels great when you get it right. I also enjoy ankle/shin presses...

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, isn't it fun?
icon10.gif
My favourite take is to get outside the line of my partner's jab, bringing my knee behind their leading leg and then just screw-drop my knee behind theirs. Feels great when you get it right. I also enjoy ankle/shin presses...
Bad qi-tah, bad. :D

megat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i like to wait for em to make a kick and then go in quickly and sweep. they fall like a sack of potatoes. not recommended if you are practising on hard surface, your sparring partner may get injured. but if it is the enemy hehehehhe.