How would you fight a sumo wrestler

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok lets say you're fighting a sumo wrestler who's bigger, taller, heavier, and stronger then you, how would you fight him?
I would throw in some leg kick sand keep away, then after throwing a certain amounts go in for that one two combo, then go back to the leg kick and once in a while when i see an opening run in and throw crazy haymakers, i mean he/she is not gonna stand there so I need to keep my guard up and well and move around a lot i mean i know he's bigger, heavier, and stronger then me, but i know that my fists are faster then his so quickly one two then out few leg kicks quickly circle around him leg kick i see an opening one two, same thing when he puts his guard down go in throw hooks and upper cuts, to the head of course, being the size i see some are i don't really wanna throw in some body shot because i might not hurt him/her(that is if there are female sumo wrestlers)
That's pretty much how i would do it, what about you??

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are big, they are tough, and they are strong. But I'd imagine they don't run that fast :D

That said, Keith Hackney gives a pretty good show of it in one of the early UFC's ;)

OP
M

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
is that the savate dude who kicked the sumo dude's face then sent like 10 of the sumo dude's teeth flying?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with the leg kicks. Some well placed kicks are eventually going to start shaking the foundation a little!! :) Punches are also a possibility, but I think it would be best to hit and move rather than staying there to trade blows.

Mike

takadadojokeith

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you want to know how a little guy beats a sumo wrestler check out...

Hackney vs. Yarborough
Takase vs. Yarborough
Takimoto vs. Sentoryu (though I'm not sure I agree with the judges' decision here)
Gracie vs. Akebono

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
They are big, they are tough, and they are strong. But I'd imagine they don't run that fast :D

That said, Keith Hackney gives a pretty good show of it in one of the early UFC's ;)

Hackney threw the proverbial knee kick...and it bounced off.

If there were a situation where I (a 48 year old man with arthritis and degenerative cervical disk disease) would have to fight a sumo wrestler, I would do this:

Run.

Failing that, I'd pull my knife and attempt to hamstring him...or something.

Regards,

Steve

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
To quote Pink Floyd:

RUN...RUN....RUN....Run...

oh yeah, and throw heavy beer-mugs and stines (sp?) if ya gotsm.

Your Brother (who doesn't mess with anything twice his own size)
John

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Whatever you do, make sure he doesnt fall on you! Imagine jumping up, throwing a good elbow to the face and KO'ing him with one hit..The happy look on your face starts to fade as you realise he's falling in your direction..:)

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not my forte, but a flying side kick to the head would finish it. The head is probably the sumo wrestler's most vulnerable spot with the groin and the knees next. Actually my master did that in a street fight when he was young. It did end the fight. And he can still get the height now. Sigh, not me. TW

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Best way to beat any one: kick 'em in the crouch and run for your life(incase he falls in your direction since they way normally about 600 pounds). And japan long ago out lawed female sumo werstlers, saying that it's immoral.

andy

Green Belt
Reaction score
i would have my girlfriend put a pizza in front of a fan.
as soon as takes a whiff--he's goin down
:jediduel:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rent or borrow UFC 3 I believe. There was a Sumo in there against a striker/kicker.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
it was keith hackney vs. emmanuel yarbrough. yarbrough submitted to keith's repeated strikes. from what i remember, keith broke his hand hitting yarbrough on the head, but he kept hitting him with it until he submitted.

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah his hand looked like a bunch of bananas after that, but he did bring the big guy down. Those early UFC's were good as the fighters were all really diverse before they had the weight divisions etc.
But I seem to remember firstly that the sumo didnt seem to have much heart in him for the fight and also the knee kicks directed at him didn't work that well.
Crotch kicks.. I would've thought a sumo's crotch would be pretty protected with all the fat surrounding the area. Plus I've heard they can pull/push their nuts up into their body, although whether that's true or not...?!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Running does seem like the best strategy, followed by kicking. I wouldn't want to get in too close, and I'd want to be ready to get off-line quickly.

These are some tough fighters. I wouldn't count on any single strike having a big effect.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd wait for the sumo to fall down. That seems to be the turning point in every MMA fight I've watched since they can never get back up.

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
All your strategies sound really good. You should try them out and tell us how it goes.

F

first123class

I don't think a Sumo wrestler would normally attack you.
Therefor there is not point of fighting him. And if he did than use every weapon around, it's only fair.

Latest Discussions