Being an instructor!

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last night my instructor asked me " hows your first form?" I said "not bad" he said "ok show me" so i did and then he made me drill that form to the lover grades, the little kids! Boy was that so hard. Thats the first time I have done any major teaching. Before I did some of the class warmups but that was just such a nightmare. Being someone who likes to stay in the background, who is a little shy I did find the whole situation difficult, because children have a shorter attention span and trying to control everything, trying to correct them and stop them from messing around was a complete nightmare. I now understand why my instructor shouts sometimes and does the things he does with us! I don't think I would enjoy his job. But because I am getting further with my training, as I am now a higher grade I am expected to assist him every so often but I don't particularly enjoy it. I don't really see myself becoming an Instructor. I don't mind teaching one or 2 kids but any more than that gets really stressful. In the past I have enjoyed showing children of my mums friends certain techniques in the comfort of my home without being around so many other students, just self defence techniques.
I can do one on one really well, I know I can but a whole class is a totally different thing. But maybe it will be good therapy for me to do that once in a while. Its just last night I didn't feel very confident doing what I was doing.
I can't turn around to my instructor and say I would rather not do it because I think that would be disrespectful and do respect him.I know he has his reasons as he as a great deal of experience. Last night I was expected to make them do pressups or situps if they misbehaved or didn't do as i said. But I was too nice! I was afraid of pushing them too hard and causing injuries.
Has anyone here been made to do some teaching, did you enjoy it, did it go to your head or has it helped you?

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, there is no scarier feeling than looking out into a class full of people after you forget one of the stretches in warm-ups. Kids are tough to teach, I grant you that. There are many people here who do not teach children at all because they don't like it.

Teaching is not for everyone. I enjoy it and, as tough as it is, there is nothing more rewarding than seeing a kid's face light up when they "get it". As time goes by, you will feel more comfortable in front of people and kids. If you do not, you will find out whether teaching is for you.

J

Jason Davis

Teaching Really helps you evaluate your own skill. I think the best thing an instuctor can do is make advanced students teach. Your skill will increase very radiply.

S

Shinzu

i agree. i learned so much by teaching. it is very rewarding also. let your teacher know that you would like to ease into it. have a plan devised before you teach. this will make the class go alot smoother.

you got hit with it all of a sudden and were caught off guard. it is normal to freeze up.

dont worry.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tony,

If you are going to accept the responsibility, do it for the right reasons: personal challenge, deeper understanding of the art, dealing with confidence issues..., but if you are primarily motivated by fear of disrespecting your instructor, talk to him about your reservations and see what he has to say.

There are so many different instructional styles to take. As far as exercise/punishment as a tool, just consult your instructor for reasonable numbers or reflect on what you have seen your instructor do when he was leading the children's class. The punishment is more about action consequence than causing injury or tiring them out. Choice works really well. Tell them that they can choose to do the right thing and earn the reward of learning new and cool stuff and getting better as martial artists OR they can choose to be disrespectful/unfocused and earn the consequences of having to do exercises which will make them stronger, but isn't nearly as fun or helpful to becoming a better artist (I know the fitness/finese argument, that is not how this is being applied).

Yelling can be done as a demonstration of a lack of emotional control or as a demonstration of disappointment and righteous indignation (crazy man yelling vs. Drill instructor: first is just out of control while the latter is using it as a teaching tool).

I don't know, if your instructor thinks you are ready and a good pick, go for it. All that can happen is that you get anxious/nervous, work through it and come out a better artist/stronger person for facing the challenge.:)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Code:
Its just last night I didn't feel very confident doing what I was doing.
That is totaly normal for many pople. Teaching and learning to teach are two different things. Being uncomortable and a little unsure how to handle situations that arise when instucting is to be expected.
You have already stated that you tend to stay in the backgound and are a little shy, so getting in frount of a group and training them may take time to learn. Look at it as just another lessen your instructor has given you. Take the time to figure out what went right and what didn't. Then figure out ways you could have done better and try them the next time.
Kids can be a handful but they will try almost anything you ask. Their energy level is high and they move at the speed of light if given a chance so you must keep them doing something all the time. A basic drill or form to them may be boreing so you ned to find ways of doing it that keeps their attention. Maybe just haveing them do it starting faceing a different direction every 3rd time may do the trick.
Teaching is not for all people but there are great rewards seeing a student do well preforming something you helped them learn.

S

ShaolinWolf

I'm testing for Trainee instructor Apr. 7 and I know just aboutall the cirriculum from past ranks. I know all the forms, self-defense, sparring segments, and weapons forms/sparring segments. I'm a bit shaky on the one-steps because they never taught me them and they don't teach them; you just need to know them just in case.

I was kind of worried about teaching little kids, but I'm fine now. A lot of the adults I know who take MA with me say they can't stand sparring younger kids, even 2nd degree kids who are like 12-13. Yeah, they don't have the power, but I like fighting them because I get to see what they are capable of and also it does improve me. I like sparring them also because it helps me learn to control my power better.

I look forward to being an instructor and I like teaching kids, its just everyone else I know, other than my instructors, don't like fighting kids. Like one of the guys this saturday who was in his 40s said he didn't like sparring kids, it being his first time sparring kids. He was too worried about hitting them too hard and such, but I don't see a problem. I do enjoy heavy sparring matches with other adults who are way stronger than me, because I have my flexibility, but some breaks are nice here and there. Some days I like not getting beaten to a pulp and other days I go all out.

I know everyone wants a challenge, but control is a major part of MA. And if we can't even spar kids without hurting them, who cares about our power. I see someone going full blast in adult vs. adult and they are really tearing each other up, but I think its great and all, but there also has to be some control. If we used just brute strength and not control, then we'd just be street fighting thugs with MA knowledge.

B

Black Bear

Discere docendo. Everyone at our studio "teaches" if only from being paired up with a beginner and having to explain and demo the finer points, the rationale, etc. Learning to articulate something well to another person causes you to understand it better.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony said:
Last night my instructor asked me " hows your first form?" I said "not bad" he said "ok show me" so i did and then he made me drill that form to the lover grades, the little kids! Boy was that so hard. Thats the first time I have done any major teaching. Before I did some of the class warmups but that was just such a nightmare. Being someone who likes to stay in the background, who is a little shy I did find the whole situation difficult, because children have a shorter attention span and trying to control everything, trying to correct them and stop them from messing around was a complete nightmare. I now understand why my instructor shouts sometimes and does the things he does with us! I don't think I would enjoy his job. But because I am getting further with my training, as I am now a higher grade I am expected to assist him every so often but I don't particularly enjoy it. I don't really see myself becoming an Instructor. I don't mind teaching one or 2 kids but any more than that gets really stressful. In the past I have enjoyed showing children of my mums friends certain techniques in the comfort of my home without being around so many other students, just self defence techniques.
I can do one on one really well, I know I can but a whole class is a totally different thing. But maybe it will be good therapy for me to do that once in a while. Its just last night I didn't feel very confident doing what I was doing.
I can't turn around to my instructor and say I would rather not do it because I think that would be disrespectful and do respect him.I know he has his reasons as he as a great deal of experience. Last night I was expected to make them do pressups or situps if they misbehaved or didn't do as i said. But I was too nice! I was afraid of pushing them too hard and causing injuries.
Has anyone here been made to do some teaching, did you enjoy it, did it go to your head or has it helped you?

Welcome to the world of teaching!! Something that you said in the beginning caught my eye though. You said that was the first time that you had done any major teaching. How much teaching did you do prior to that night? I ask this, because teaching is something that definately takes a long time to get used to. Sure, it looks easy, but if you're new to something, regardless of how long you'e been a student at that school, the students, both kids and adults are going to challenge you. I dont mean this in a physical way, though that is always possibl, but I mean more of your knowledge and your ability to teach.

When I first started, my Inst. had me do the warmups, and then progress to the punches, kicks, etc. and then eventually the entire class. I still remember my first time teaching a class, and I was nervous...who wouldnt be?? Anyone that tells you that they were not nervous is lying! Standing IFO a room full of people, and trying to conduct a lesson is a challenge, but dont get stressed out. Take it one step at a time. Ask your head Inst or some of the other Inst at the school for some tips on teaching.

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll do fine in the future!!

Mike

G

Gary Crawford

Tony,don't worry,it will get better.As many here have pointed out,teaching really does make you better.I think that is because of the responsibility that goes with it.When you are instructing,you have to do it right.If you teach them wrong,then you hurt the student more than help him/her.I always take the attitude of "I have a different perspective than anyone else,I see what others miss because I am an individual and others see what I miss for the same reason". I have always employed the entire classes opinions on various things to understand what they understand or don't.I have found that unless you have a group of completely uninterested students(which I have never seen)the class becomes more involved in their own improvement(especially in forms).It makes them pay more attention especially when they know you are going to ask their opinion.My first experience teaching was a major lesson for me.I had to teach beginning sparring to a white belt kids class.When a student kept dropping their lead hand,I sparred with them and lightly slapped their face when they dropped it,wich did work,they did start keeping it up.My next tournament I went to (Kenpo in Ca. in the seventies) I was disqualified when I did the same thing to my oponents when head shots for kids were against the rules.At my age now,Teaching is what I love the most.I have this need to share my experience.I don't do it that often,just some teakwondo sparring coaching and some Counter Terrorists Seminars,but I look forward to each and every oportunity.One day I will be teaching JKD(as soon as I get my credentials).My love for teaching is what keeps my involved these days.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
You'll no doubt get better. I recall the first time I taught...yuck. Teacher's evolve. I've been teaching for twenty six years, and I'm still getting better and learning new things every day.

The saying goes, "He who teaches, teaches twice." You learn as well as the student. You learn more about the techniques you're teaching (you have to think from a different perspective in presenting them), you have to do them as best you can (and you will screw up...get used to it), and the best thing...you learn about human nature. Your students will all be different, with different learning styles...some with learning disabilities you might not be able to detect...all with different personalities. You'll learn more about people from teaching than you would from any other job I can think of.

It can be a lot of fun. Once you start noticing a teaching success or two, it likely will be.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions