Teaching Concerns

Hajime

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have just received my first dan, and since I want to open schools later on in life, my saseong told me that I should start a club and start teaching TKD. Its going to be sort of my own miniature school. Now, I'm very competent in everything i've learned so far, I study my encyclopedia almost every day. But I'm a little worried about sparring. I'm very good at sparring, one of the best in my school, but in the back of my mind I have this bad thought that someone is going to come to my club and we'll spar, and some 6'3'' new student might get the best of me, which would be horrible. To anyone who teaches, have you ever had this thought, and how did you get rid of it?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never underestimate ANYONE. Even the most uncoordinated person in class can break your ribs if you let your guard down ( I know it happened to me).
Let the new students know the rules you expect them to spar with, including how much power. Always expect the unexpected from new students

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That is very sound advice, to never underestimate anyone. In addition, don't underestimate yourself, either. If you are not confident in your abilities, then it is going to show in your sparring as well as anything else you do.

Don't worry if someone gets the better of you in a sparring match. I've gotten the better of my instructor on a couple of occaisions (although it only occured twice, and I only bested him because he was tired from sparring everyone else in class both times, but I still count it, ha), but I really had to work for it. You are going to have off days...you're human, and we all have days like that.

If you do have a student that gets the better of you, don't let it get to you. Just make sure everyone knows the rules when you spar.

And one other thing: Just because you're instructing other students doesn't mean that you're staying in practice yourself. Make sure you still attend class regularly, and this will help you stay on top of your game and advance far enough so that you can continue teaching past the rank you are at currently.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have this bad thought that someone is going to come to my club and we'll spar, and some 6'3'' new student might get the best of me, which would be horrible. To anyone who teaches, have you ever had this thought, and how did you get rid of it?

Every time I step into sparring not only do I think it is a possibility but I have had it happen. What did I do? Simple, I congratulated him on his skills and learned from how he defeated me. Did that make me less than a teacher? Not at all. Remember that you are still growing as a martial artist. You will not be able to defeat everyone who comes into your school regardless if they are a first timer or somone who has experience. So why stress it? Just because you wrap that black cloth around your waist doesn't mean you are the perfect fighter.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have just received my first dan, and since I want to open schools later on in life, my saseong told me that I should start a club and start teaching TKD. Its going to be sort of my own miniature school. Now, I'm very competent in everything i've learned so far, I study my encyclopedia almost every day. But I'm a little worried about sparring. I'm very good at sparring, one of the best in my school, but in the back of my mind I have this bad thought that someone is going to come to my club and we'll spar, and some 6'3'' new student might get the best of me, which would be horrible. To anyone who teaches, have you ever had this thought, and how did you get rid of it?

Hajime,

When I first opened my school, as a 3ed dan, my instructor told me there would be people come who would want to spar me. He said most of them cannot fight well. Those that get real skill have disipline and respect and don't go around challenging other schools.

Now notice he said 'most'. There may be one or two that might be that low class, but most that try can't. I know this from experience.

See when I had my school a very large 6ft 5 guy asked if he could spar oen day after class. He was a big big fellow (I'm 5ft 8!) I said 'okie dokie', next week come by.

During that week I made inquiries with friends in other dojos (that's a wise move guys.) They said he was actually a nice guy and they and no idea why he would do that.

Well the day came. He showed. One of my 'friends' showed, and said he wanted to see the blood. Nice friend there!

Ok! My battle flags were flying high. I was ready to come in with 110 percent. I turned on my hate switch (I know that does not sound nice but when I go to war, I use that emotion.)

He did his first kick, a front round house. Kicked like a 10 year old girl (sorry girls, no offense!!) I suspected a trap. He kicked again. Pitiful. Then he did a backfist. Had the power and speed of a.. oh, it was just a flip of the hand like a cat playing with a toy (and he was wearing gloves and sparring booties!!!)

After dicking around awhile it dawned on me he was a nice IDIOT. And did not know he was challenging me in front of the school. No they didn't carry him out on a streacher. I have no desire to hurt people just to hurt them (and never had that desire.)

Ok, don't have fears over this Hajime. Train well and train hard. Meet each person with a smile. If they want to spar after class, have them sign a release. Expect a hard fight. Run your battle flags up! But don't be to amazed if they turn out to not be so hot (and an idiot!)

Deaf

OP
H

Hajime

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. That's all really great advice. I'll do my best to try never to under estimate anyone and stay sharp with my sparring. And I was going to continue my training, I set up the schedule for my club where now i'll be doing something with tkd seven days a week to stay sharp.

Latest Discussions