Teaching at Home or in a Commercial Space??? Thoughts...

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If the goal is to open a commercial school, but you want to start small, I think that JowGaWolf is right - start by subletting in a community or someone else's commercial space, rather than by teaching in your house. If you teach at the rec center (or at a gym, dance school, etc), there will be good parking, public restrooms and possibly changing facilities, and you may have access to mats or other exercise equipment rather than having to buy everything yourself. Plus, if you teach at a rec center, they may advertise your classes to community members at little or no cost to you.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
You see right through me, bro. :)
All places I've learned, taught in some, too.

i haven't been at it nearly as long as you have, I started in 1981, but I know where you're coming from . I have trained in school gyms, church basements, public parks, kitchens, basements, garages, civic centers, National Guard armories, backrooms of various businesses.....
I even had an impromptu chi sau lesson at 2 in the morning on a deserted veranda at the airport... of course this was before 9/11.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I even had an impromptu chi sau lesson at 2 in the morning on a deserted veranda at the airport... of course this was before 9/11.

Would have loved to have been there. Impromtu sessions tend to be really cool.

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
My first commercial location was renting space at a local gym. I started out teaching at my house, and still do. I've also taught at parks and various other places. Start with the free options and build your student base. You can also generally rent community centers for a few dollars for a couple of hours a few nights a week. Or, find another struggling martial arts school and timeshare with them. There are many options. The way I look at it, I am the source, so wherever I am in the presence of a student is my Kwoon.

Latest Discussions