Teaching assertiveness from a young age.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yes, a kid should be a kid, but know how to recognize and react to danger.

I actually meant the opposite re: combat stance. A child should have an everyday stance and view danger in this context - not have a combat stance and view everyday life as deadly. It's a subtle but important distinction.
Thanks for clarifying that. I agree. :)

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think it´s politics which i won´t go into.
You see it everywhere in the media.. it´s ok to wear your moms panty.
Circuit training with some outdoor survival will toughen them up.
As a kid i was doing these things in the British Boys brigade. Never did me any harm.
I've taught for fifty years and still enjoy it. The main reason I enjoy what I do is because 48 years ago I stopped teaching kids. I now have a private studio at home where I teach adults up to black belt and beyond.
Kids are a lot of trouble and you're always chasing them whatever. Then there's the crying and parents staring at you because they think you have injured your child in some way. It's so soothing to teach adults. But I had an occupation, so I could teach at home and not worry about money.
Good luck!
Sifu
Puyallup, WA

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I used to teach kids but pretty much have had my fill, at least for teaching voluntary unpaid.

I think that teaching self defense needs to include the laws of the land.
I grew up training, and had a kind of opposite experience to that of the OP's story.

I started American Kenpo when i was 11, and was trained by 1st generation GM Ed Parker Snr students, as well as attending quiet a few GM Parker seminars.

I was taught from a fairly early age the Kenpo way of fighting. This is ironic, as I live on a small island in the UK, that has low population and low violent crime, especially low knife and firearm related crimes.

The laws in the UK are also completely different to the US. In the US, by law you have some right to defend your self under various circumstances and if someone breaks into your house, you have the right to even shoot them dead.

In the UK, the laws with regards to self defense are completely different, and in the island that i live,
the laws are even stricter or should I say more conservative.

I have over the years had a chat with the local police to see what I am allowed to do with regards to defending myself using martial arts.

During one period, i was being stalked by a group or small gang of local petty criminals, who were stalking me with clear bad intentions.

I asked them what I was allowed to do, if i was attacked by several of these petty criminal idiots, some who were bigger than me.

They basically told me that I could do nothing and I was best to call them on my mobile and they would send someone out to deal with the attack. Great advice! In my experience, if you call the police, the police rarely send someone out.

So. basically, if you take the police's advice, if I were not to defend myself, I potentially could get kicked to death by a gang of petty criminal nasty people.

As it happened, I managed to avoid the people by being street wise and being clever about the routes and areas that I travelled into. Staying in areas that were populated with witnesses, and staying in areas that had CCTV coverage.
In case an incident occured, there would be a high chance of any attack being caught on film, which could be used to prove your innocence in court.

As it happened, I was attacked during one incident during this period. The attacker attacked me literally a week after I had lost my older brother to a drug overdose and I was suffering from severe grief (I have Autism Spectrum Disorder).

The petty crim took the advantage to attack me while i was in the early stages of grief, and stalked me to a sports centre where i frequented to use the gym / punch bags.

The crim basically waited for me to train, hiding in a blind spot in the sports centre, and when i was on my way out, he creeped up behind me and rabbit punched me in the back of the head, attacking from behind.
At the time i had a hooded parker on, with my hood up, which the crim pulled the hood down over me, trying to floor me.

The funny thing was, although I didn't spot the attack coming, because i was still extremely disorientated due to the grief etc, The criminals attack didn't hurt, and when he attempted to pull me to the floor, pulling my hood over my head so I couldn't see, i simply just pulled my coat off over my head, along with my gym bag, and just stood up and looked at him as if he was a complete idiot.

The criminal. was shocked, and then panicked and started shouting "Help, I'm being attacked"
(So much for the tough hard man that he pretends to be to his gang of crims.... hahaha)

Anyway, because the guy started shouting, the gym staff came running and one member of staff stayed with each of us, and they phoned the police.

The criminal tried to make out that I was the instigator and bully, who had attacked him unprovokingly.
When the police turned up, they knew who the crim was and knew him from the many times he had been in trouble before.

Luckily for me, the police were able to get the CCTV footage of the entire incident which proved that everything happened as i had explained and the crim was sent to court without me having to write a statement or appear in court.

If there had been no CCTV footage however, the result may have been completely different, as the legal system in the island that I live, is far from what it is in many other places, and it can be more of a case of who you know rather than who's telling the truth. As with every police force, there are some police who are bent, or who may have gone to school with the crim, who may still be friends of the criminal and decide to favour the crim rather than you, despite your innocence,

I have learn't however that CCTV footage can not always be relied on, so my advice is for kids to best try your best to avoid conflict if possible.

I also recommend using the "fence" strategy if a conflict starts to escalate.
As for self defence in the UK, I would say that it would be better alive and in prison than do nothing and end up dead.

But, ideally try and avoid conflict, try and make an effort to diffuse any escalating conflict, try and distract, or use humour or reason with the attackers if possible. If you can escape by walking off, do so.

But if the attackers continue to pursue you, and you have no choice to walk or run.
then defend yourself!

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
While I think the topic is interesting and important, I also think you made a lot of generalizations that are based on personal experience. Passive kids are not necessarily taught to be that way by their parents. In sparring, people do not necessarily "back away" because they're passive...maybe they're not as big as you, or not as strong as you, or not as experienced, or because you're the instructor. Or maybe they *were* more aggressive sometime and place in their life, and it resulted in a bad outcome. Plus, many parents want their kids to get martial arts training to *become* more assertive. And there's a genetic component: I've seen premature newborns in a neonatal intensive care unit who were more "aggressive" than others, pulling out their IVs and ET tubes...and they've never had the social influence of their parents.

In my experience, just striving toward mastery of a martial art, and many other pursuits, helps improve assertiveness.

Jusroc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting what you say about premature newborns, as I was premature and i would say that i have a stronger spirit than many. I actually was pretty much stillborn. I suffered from oxygen starvation to an extreme due to a very dysfunctional or damaged umbilical cord.

Apparently I stopped breathing for several minutes at birth, and was given the last rights by a catholic priest.
I was not expected to live more than a week, maybe 2 weeks max. I am now 48 and still alive and kicking.
I would say if i had a weak spirit, i would not have lived. It takes grit to survive difficult circumstances and trauma.

I have taught kids karate and judo for several years.
I think the more timid kids just need the right approach by a good coach in order to develop in the right manner.

They need to be nurtured with the right type of training (developmental sparing rather than out and out war)
which can be used to help each individual develop confidence and you would be surprised as to how confident and skilled kids become.

This does take a good teacher with a lot of patience and kindness, as well as time, to spend time with each kid to help them develop in the right way. Such coaching can be hard to find, as clubs that have a high volume of coaches that operate democratically and intelligently, in my experience are rare. Politics get in the way.

But not impossible. Timid kids perhaps could benefit from one on one lessons or small groups of similar types of kids,
which can be helped to develop away from the more confident and vicious kids, and when they are ready, they can join the bigger class.

OP
T

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
, the idea of suggesting a child should have a combat stance at all (much less at all times) is repulsive to me.
Of course, the idea that people should stand up for themselves might be repulsive to the people who want to control them. This is how my elders felt as I was growing up and it allowed them to treat me as a punching bag who wouldn't fight back. This is the type of behavior I want to see less of from people who call themselves adults and it's something I want to see more young people fight back against. I don't want kids to be disobedient; I just want them to be brave enough to stand up to parents or teachers who abuse their power.

Last edited:

wolfeyes2323

Green Belt
Reaction score
Prepare for a long rant but this is an important issue in martial arts that I think deserves some attention.

Growing up, I was always taught to sit silent when confronted or to not attempt to defend myself or de-escalate a violent situation if I was attacked. I was raised with the idea that instigative violence against me is OK while defending myself is wrong, a ridiculous dogma that is both legally and morally reprehensible. I was basically taught to be a passive, weak person under the guise that it will somehow make me morally superior. But all it did was make my life more difficult and let people walk all over me.

Fast forward a couple decades and after 6 years of studying Shotokan Karate, I am an assistant instructor who has been assigned to a kids class (as apparently you have to teach kids before you can teach adults). My job involves teaching children not just how to physically defend themselves but also how to de-escalate bad situations using their words. Just as a maths teacher teaches arithmetic, it is now apparently my job to teach assertiveness.

One thing that I notice about the classes I teach is that there is a 50/50 split between assertive and non-assertive children. The assertive ones strike the hardest, are the most social/happy, and have an easy time paying attention and following directions. The non-assertive ones strike the bags/targets hesitantly, have a harder time socializing, and often find it challenging to follow instructions. They are also often told to sit out of class due to behavioral reasons and appear to be quite passive during sparring matches, rarely scoring any points. And from what I hear, they apparently have a lot of difficulties in school as well.

This concerns me a great deal, largely due to the fact that I know what it is like to be conditioned as a passive, weak individual early on in life. It is my hypothesis that the latter group of children are being taught by their parents and teachers the same dishonest, counterintuitive doctrine that I was taught, i.e. "always be the bigger person regardless of the situation, even if it means being a total pushover." And it appears that this doctrine has subconsciously conditioned some of these children to be quiet, weak, sensitive individuals. This weakness is evident in their behavior as much as it is in the roundhouse kicks they throw at the heavy bags. From my perspective, being emotionally passive and having weak technique has transcended correlation and has become a full-on connection with almost 100% accuracy. In other words, if a confident kid walks in, they throw strong punches on day 1; if a quiet, shy kid walks in, they throw weak punches several months into their training.

By sheer luck, I personally managed to break free of this "always be gentle and passive" nonsense around the time I started university and currently live a happy life, finding it easy to stand up for myself when appropriate. However, in my experience, the people who choose to be passive and non-confrontational into adulthood end up being miserable, unsuccessful, unhealthy individuals that then pollute the world by instilling this destructive logic onto their own offspring. Even some of the friends I grew up with have fallen victim to this toxic state of mind, and of course, they have grown up as miserable, unsuccessful, unhealthy individuals.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I see this same kind of passive behavior in some of the adults that I train with. Now, I am by no means good at sparring, nor an intimidating-looking individual, and yet I have had kumite matches with high-ranking opponents in which they continuously back away from me despite plenty of openings from them to attack and me not throwing a single technique. I can see the hesitance in their eyes and it is easy for me to capitalize on it simply by being the least bit assertive in my technique. Once again, it is my prediction that they were taught from a young age to be passive, and that these teachings are responsible for their lack of vigor. This seems to even show up when they do kata, with the same people still being afraid to kiai properly even after several years of training.

I don't want my young students to turn out like this. I want them to grow up as strong, assertive people. I want to override any passive, anti-confrontational rubbish that their parents and teachers might be poisoning them with and let them know that being a confident, assertive person is the one true key to success and happiness. I don't want to see any of them sent into the adult world as weak pushovers, as it will only bring them disappointment in the long run. Does anyone have any advice on how best to teach this? It could be something as small as a physical drill or something or as big as a pep talk, and it can be as small as what a single lesson would cover or as big as something to teach over the course of several years. Granted, I don't want to teach them to be aggressive, as that emotion is just as harmful as being passive; I want to teach them to be assertive yet still civil.

More importantly, do any other instructors here face this dilemma? Am I the only one who notices this assertive vs. passive split, not just in the dojo but in everyday life? This is a topic that has fascinated me for quite some time now and I would like to know what other martial artist - students and instructors alike - think about it.

P.S. I am by no means trying to judge or denounce anyone, as I am a firm believer that everyone has the potential and deserves the opportunity to better themselves. I am simply looking to bring light to a certain problem and assist people in getting rid of it.
this is related to the expression of virtue in
our MA and kata . Many kata are taught with a
defensive move at the end of the form. We are
in position, we are justified in our actions,
(the technique of the kata), but , we choose
to spare a defeated or inferior opponent (the sword
that gives life), this is a expression of virtue.
If we end confrontation from a position of weakness,
it is not a expression of virtue, it is submission.
So if we could not follow through with our defense
and prevail we can not be virtuous by not engaging
we had no real choice.

I teach my youth all the same, it is simple,
Engage the brain and senses, confrontation seldom
begins without warning, or events that precipitate it.
When a threat is detected we can leave or if we can not
then we should seek a strong position, where we can not
be snuck up on blind sided or ambushed. We can not
allow this position to be compromised without acting .

We can not wait for someone to be in our face, with their
hands on us or around our neck before we decide to do
something, we must act while we have the advantage of
surprise, where we can control the timing of the
engagement , and determine where it will be fought ,
and we must keep the advantage. We can
not allow our position to be compromised before we act.

We can show compassion , and mercy which are a expression
of virtue, but only from a unassailable position.

auntlisa1103

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I really think we need to remember “nature vs. nurture” here. With all respect to OP, just because you were raised that way doesn’t mean all non-assertive people were raised to be that way. Individuality plays a much larger role than I think you are considering.

I’ve lived through some people’s worst nightmares. Family tragedies, health crises, blindness (and the journey to restore partial vision). As someone else mentioned it takes a lot of internal fortitude to make it through.

Verbally, I’m a very assertive person. In the dojang, however, I really have to work on my willingness to fight. I far prefer to hang back and self defend until I find an opening. That’s not because I was raised to be a doormat, it’s because I’m not a physically aggressive person.

Having said that, in many cases I’m also not a CONFIDENT person. But that’s also about my personality rather than any parenting I received. And it is an area where martial arts has helped me a lot. Heck, six weeks in, my husband said my dog listened to me better when I commanded him….from working on my kiyap (two weeks later I also found myself down blocking the same dog to the chest without thinking, because he was playfully jumping at me and almost knocked me down, but that’s another story).

Have you ever heard the expression, “meet people where they’re at”? Meet your students where THEY are at, not where YOU were when you were that age. Don’t assume your upbringing is theirs. I would focus on building confidence, and let whatever assertiveness they are going to find develop (or not, quite frankly, depending on personality) from there.

Petey Nunchakus

White Belt
Reaction score
Prepare for a long rant but this is an important issue in martial arts that I think deserves some attention.

Growing up, I was always taught to sit silent when confronted or to not attempt to defend myself or de-escalate a violent situation if I was attacked. I was raised with the idea that instigative violence against me is OK while defending myself is wrong, a ridiculous dogma that is both legally and morally reprehensible. I was basically taught to be a passive, weak person under the guise that it will somehow make me morally superior. But all it did was make my life more difficult and let people walk all over me.

Fast forward a couple decades and after 6 years of studying Shotokan Karate, I am an assistant instructor who has been assigned to a kids class (as apparently you have to teach kids before you can teach adults). My job involves teaching children not just how to physically defend themselves but also how to de-escalate bad situations using their words. Just as a maths teacher teaches arithmetic, it is now apparently my job to teach assertiveness.

One thing that I notice about the classes I teach is that there is a 50/50 split between assertive and non-assertive children. The assertive ones strike the hardest, are the most social/happy, and have an easy time paying attention and following directions. The non-assertive ones strike the bags/targets hesitantly, have a harder time socializing, and often find it challenging to follow instructions. They are also often told to sit out of class due to behavioral reasons and appear to be quite passive during sparring matches, rarely scoring any points. And from what I hear, they apparently have a lot of difficulties in school as well.

This concerns me a great deal, largely due to the fact that I know what it is like to be conditioned as a passive, weak individual early on in life. It is my hypothesis that the latter group of children are being taught by their parents and teachers the same dishonest, counterintuitive doctrine that I was taught, i.e. "always be the bigger person regardless of the situation, even if it means being a total pushover." And it appears that this doctrine has subconsciously conditioned some of these children to be quiet, weak, sensitive individuals. This weakness is evident in their behavior as much as it is in the roundhouse kicks they throw at the heavy bags. From my perspective, being emotionally passive and having weak technique has transcended correlation and has become a full-on connection with almost 100% accuracy. In other words, if a confident kid walks in, they throw strong punches on day 1; if a quiet, shy kid walks in, they throw weak punches several months into their training.

By sheer luck, I personally managed to break free of this "always be gentle and passive" nonsense around the time I started university and currently live a happy life, finding it easy to stand up for myself when appropriate. However, in my experience, the people who choose to be passive and non-confrontational into adulthood end up being miserable, unsuccessful, unhealthy individuals that then pollute the world by instilling this destructive logic onto their own offspring. Even some of the friends I grew up with have fallen victim to this toxic state of mind, and of course, they have grown up as miserable, unsuccessful, unhealthy individuals.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I see this same kind of passive behavior in some of the adults that I train with. Now, I am by no means good at sparring, nor an intimidating-looking individual, and yet I have had kumite matches with high-ranking opponents in which they continuously back away from me despite plenty of openings from them to attack and me not throwing a single technique. I can see the hesitance in their eyes and it is easy for me to capitalize on it simply by being the least bit assertive in my technique. Once again, it is my prediction that they were taught from a young age to be passive, and that these teachings are responsible for their lack of vigor. This seems to even show up when they do kata, with the same people still being afraid to kiai properly even after several years of training.

I don't want my young students to turn out like this. I want them to grow up as strong, assertive people. I want to override any passive, anti-confrontational rubbish that their parents and teachers might be poisoning them with and let them know that being a confident, assertive person is the one true key to success and happiness. I don't want to see any of them sent into the adult world as weak pushovers, as it will only bring them disappointment in the long run. Does anyone have any advice on how best to teach this? It could be something as small as a physical drill or something or as big as a pep talk, and it can be as small as what a single lesson would cover or as big as something to teach over the course of several years. Granted, I don't want to teach them to be aggressive, as that emotion is just as harmful as being passive; I want to teach them to be assertive yet still civil.

More importantly, do any other instructors here face this dilemma? Am I the only one who notices this assertive vs. passive split, not just in the dojo but in everyday life? This is a topic that has fascinated me for quite some time now and I would like to know what other martial artist - students and instructors alike - think about it.

P.S. I am by no means trying to judge or denounce anyone, as I am a firm believer that everyone has the potential and deserves the opportunity to better themselves. I am simply looking to bring light to a certain problem and assist people in getting rid of it.
Imo, you're just installing confidence, baby! I wouldn't call it assertiveness.. I'd call it confidence.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fine line between assertiveness and rudeness/aggression is regularly misinterpreted and often overstepped.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The fine line between assertiveness and rudeness/aggression is regularly misinterpreted and often overstepped.
Interestingly, studies have shown that this is often gender based, in that when interpreting the same behavior from men and women, the men will often be viewed as assertive and direct, and women will often be viewed as aggressive and pushy. There's a huge body of research behind this, if you're interested. I am most familiar with this in a professional setting, but the ideas seem to translate pretty directly to other areas of our lives.

Bottom line, though, is that the line between assertive and rude/aggressive is highly subjective and probably very unreliable.

OP
T

ThatOneCanadian

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes. This is why it's good to know how to balance being assertive and being friendly. Assertiveness seems to be more effective when one is otherwise kind and well mannered. People also tend to listen to you more when they like you. To be assertive with a mean, rude personality is just strange.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, studies have shown that this is often gender based, in that when interpreting the same behavior from men and women, the men will often be viewed as assertive and direct, and women will often be viewed as aggressive and pushy. There's a huge body of research behind this, if you're interested. I am most familiar with this in a professional setting, but the ideas seem to translate pretty directly to other areas of our lives.

Bottom line, though, is that the line between assertive and rude/aggressive is highly subjective and probably very unreliable.
That’s interesting as I perceived it to be the other way around!

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Err... not sure I'd go so far as to say all that. I've mentioned in other threads that Judo is a high school sport here, just like football, baseball, volleyball, etc. Lots of kids turn out, both girls and boys, to compete.

Also, for what it's worth, there are typically at least a few girls on the wrestling squad. Not nearly as rare as it once was, and they compete well against kids their own size.

Regarding the "wake them up," I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that. Speaking for me and for my kids, we encouraged them to get into whatever they were interested in. While we didn't push them into any particular activity, we did require them to be involved in SOMETHING all the time. I was not much concerned about what they wanted to do. Rather, it was about them being engaged in something that would foster a lot of the traits we are talking about in this thread. And it's interesting how all of them ended up getting into very different things, and also interesting that my daughters are the competitive athletes, not my son.
What I mean is some kids are Dozy, half asleep not street wise either. More often than not some get sent to play a sport martial art or Fitness studio to wake or liven them up. Not everyone lives in the USA with Lots of high school sports on offer. Best way to bring them out is some Kind of training.
I think you misunderstood my point.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What I mean is some kids are Dozy, half asleep not street wise either. More often than not some get sent to play a sport martial art or Fitness studio to wake or liven them up. Not everyone lives in the USA with Lots of high school sports on offer. Best way to bring them out is some Kind of training.
I think you misunderstood my point.
doesn’t need to be a high school sport. Fitness and martial arts are just fine. So are drama, chess club, math teams, and band.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So are drama, chess club, math teams, and band.
come on bro... most of these people are victims. This is a martial arts forum so on topic no...i do not think being a chess champion is important to defend yourself or build your body.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have always believed in the saying, A healthy mind in a healthy body. Being a computer or Chess nerd will not help you build confidence or self esteem for outside in the real world, even Manager type people are put on survival courses to learn how to deal with conflicts & man managment which being a book worm will not teach you. I am not against education type things but i got more out of being in boys clubs in scotland such as the boys brigade. I learned discipline, sport & earned my rank. maybe i was just made to be a soldier i don´t know.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
come on bro... most of these people are victims. This is a martial arts forum so on topic no...i do not think being a chess champion is important to defend yourself or build your body.
No but it can help kids with their self confidence and competitiveness. Both ingredients of assertiveness.

And there’s nothing that says you can’t be on the chess team and the wrestling team. I was.

The thread is about assertiveness, not building your body or defending yourself.

you and I are talking about two different things. I’m okay with that

Latest Discussions