Tatoos

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK. I've been reading this thread with interest because I've thought about getting a tattoo but with it being sooooo permanent there really wasn't anything I could think of that I'd want forever...until now.

So, I have a few stupid questions for the experienced. Once you know what you want tattooed, how you find the image? Do you just see what's available at the shop and choose the closest thing, or will the artist design what you want or what? Second question, a matter of where? I'm not sure what the best place would be. I'm thinking small of back cuz I like that look but I've only seen sunburst type tattoos there and I'm thinking of getting a tiger with the Chinese symbol for courage (has personal significance for me). Would something other than a sunburst type design work on the small of back or would it look better somewhere else? I don't want it somewhere where it would be visible all the time. Please give me some advice to get started.
Thanks!
:asian:

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most tatoo artist can design one for you, at least the ones I have known. You can also bring in a picture of what you want or something similar and work with them to find the design. As far as where to get it, keep in mind the less fatty tissue and the more boney the area the more it will hurt.

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Sil Lum Tigerlady, I'd look at the flash (stuff on the walls) first, then leave, compare it to what you want. You might see something similar. I had a guy do a tattoo for me based on an album cover and a couple of years later I walked into a tattoo studio and the disign was there on the wall. It had already been done into a ready made design but I didn't know that. Great idea not to have public skin done. I can cover everything with a 3/4 sleeve t shirt.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent advice and information Nalia and Lonecoyote. The more I think about it the more I like the small of the back. I don't have any fat there but I'm not too concerned about pain. I can handle it. I'm starting to think a small tiger (maybe about 4 inches from nose to tip of tail) climbing up my spine, maybe shown from the top side, I'll have to see how it looks. Not sure where the Chinese character would fit in yet.

I'll go check out the "flash" first too. From what I've been told there is a well known, highly desirable tattoo artist nearby. I understand people from all over the world have traveled to him and there's a waiting list to get in. A friend of mine got a tattoo from him (it looks awesome) and she said when she went in there was a guy from Germany who was making his third trip for another tattoo so I'm pretty happy to know that and hope the stories I've heard about his expertise are not hype.

How long does it take? What's the healing time like? Any other info I should know?

Thanks again. :)

M

marshallbd

Sil Lum TigerLady said:
OK. I've been reading this thread with interest because I've thought about getting a tattoo but with it being sooooo permanent there really wasn't anything I could think of that I'd want forever...until now.

So, I have a few stupid questions for the experienced. Once you know what you want tattooed, how you find the image? Do you just see what's available at the shop and choose the closest thing, or will the artist design what you want or what? Second question, a matter of where? I'm not sure what the best place would be. I'm thinking small of back cuz I like that look but I've only seen sunburst type tattoos there and I'm thinking of getting a tiger with the Chinese symbol for courage (has personal significance for me). Would something other than a sunburst type design work on the small of back or would it look better somewhere else? I don't want it somewhere where it would be visible all the time. Please give me some advice to get started.
Thanks!
Before you have an artist design something for you, shop around and look at the artists original works to decide if thier style fits your tastes, most artists are happy to do a custom design but they do charge for it. So before you commission one, be sure the other original works give you that "Warm Fuzzy".

As to the pain, I hear that different places hurt more than others and I find that to not be the case. It is about the same in any location you get inked. hurts a little but gets numbed after a few minutes. Good luck on your search. and let us know what you finally decide on...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply marshallbd. I like the "warm fuzzy" advice. I opened the phone book to look for the number of the shop I want to go to and found they have a website. After checking it out I found that they ONLY do custom work. :)

Check 'em out

http://www.bmeworld.com/kabalist/index.html

Comments?

M

marshallbd

Sil Lum TigerLady said:
Thanks for the reply marshallbd. I like the "warm fuzzy" advice. I opened the phone book to look for the number of the shop I want to go to and found they have a website. After checking it out I found that they ONLY do custom work. :)

Check 'em out

http://www.bmeworld.com/kabalist/index.html

Comments?
Just shop around before you decide. Lots of styles out there and some really excellent artists as well as some really bad ones. Also look at thier portfolio of actual tat's on clients... Unfortunately I am unable to open the link as it is blocked by the Feds...I work for the Forest service...

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerLady

My personal advise would be to draw/trace your own design or pick something that means much to you, but make sure you give it your unique mark. Remember that most artists can use a Xerox machine to turn any printed design into a flash to put on you, so search for pics from mags or online. If it is a common pic (sunburst, script, basic symbols like anchors or crosses) then see what you can find in the artist's flash collection. The artist will let you know the limits of color, detail and size.

As for where you get it, you have to consider some things; how big is it going to be, how much sun will it get, if you ever want to cover it, how much pain you can take and where you really want it. I put mine on my back so that they can be covered by a tank top or any shirt. Ankles and calves are good for men because we can easily cover them, even in business occations, but it might be harder for the ladies. Some areas are a little more painful, mainly where there is less fat or muscle or more nerves.

Remember to be careful of foreign language symbols. The meaning you have always thought, might not be right, also sometimes the literal translation is interpreted differently.

Just like has been mentioned here, make sure they show and explain to you all the equipment, and make sure that it is new and clean, no dirty needles or old rags around. Make sure they use new fresh ink.

Make sure to look at the artist's portfolio and see how his work translates to the skin.

Don't base too much on price, as this is something that will last quite a while, it is worth paying what they ask, within reason.

The process can last anywhere between a half hour and multiple trips on multiple days, depending on your endurance, his time and the design's colors, size and detail.

The healing will take about a week to scab, and about a month to get to the final stages of healing. The artist should give you detailed instructions on how to take care of your ink, so that it heals correctly and looks right. This will include when and how to clean, what lotions are safe, when and how to bandage, ect. If you want your designs to last, make sure to hide them from the sun, either by shadow or by sunscreen. UV energy kills tatoo ink.

DON'T PLAY WITH IT OR PICK AT IT FOR THE FIRST WEEK. This could tear off the scabs and with it the ink, thereby screwing up the tat for life, or until you can have the artist fix it. The skin will flake, scab, shed and then scar naturally.

I know that was long winded, but I'm gearing up from my new ones too, so it is good for me to review. Good luck and let us know your decision and how it turns out.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
Thanks for the excellent advice and information Nalia and Lonecoyote. The more I think about it the more I like the small of the back. I don't have any fat there but I'm not too concerned about pain. I can handle it. I'm starting to think a small tiger (maybe about 4 inches from nose to tip of tail) climbing up my spine, maybe shown from the top side, I'll have to see how it looks. Not sure where the Chinese character would fit in yet.
Your very welcome Sil Lum TigerLady.

My sister in law has a tatoo of a black panther, about two inches long walking up the small of her back too. Trailing behind it are 4 paw prints. It looks really neat and I have always admired it.

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Something else to consider is that different skins take different colors in different ways. For some people, reds never look right, for others, reds work very well. The problem is that there is no real good way to predict which colors will take well and which ones won't. It's a bit of a gamble.

Most tatooists must first be artists. If you want a unique tat, go in with your idea roughed out on paper, explain to them how you want it to be, and ask them to draw it up. Then, when they're done, you can go look at what they drew. If you like it, great! But don't be shy about telling them if there's some part of it you want changed. It's your ink, and they should understand that it must be exactly how you want it.

Good luck!

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Something else to consider is that different skins take different colors in different ways. For some people, reds never look right, for others, reds work very well. The problem is that there is no real good way to predict which colors will take well and which ones won't. It's a bit of a gamble.

Good luck!

Usually not a problem if you are already fair with a pasty white Alaska tan, like me. All the colors shine bright when you have a snow white background. Not much fun on the beach (I blind the locals), but cool canvas for tats.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great tips on this. It's going to make getting startedmuch easier. I was so in the dark about the process. (except how it's done of course). I'm going to real sure that I'm happy with the design before allowing the tattoo. I have am fair/medium skinned (not blinding alaskan white lol! but I'm white) so hopefully that will eliminate any color variance.

I found these Chinese characters online. It's supposed to be the symbol for Courage. If anyone knows whether it's correct or not please tell! Next I'm going to see what I can find in the way of tigers. (If anyone knows of good links to look at designs please let me know).

Attachments

• $courage.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 234

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Genin Andrew said:
Sil Lum TigerLady, That is correct your Chinese characters do mean 'courage' so you can feel confident getting that inked on lol.

http://www.tattoo22.com/ti.html has some nice tiger tattoos.

http://www.the-gallery-of-china.com/chinese-tiger-painting.html

This site has some very nice oriental (chinese) style tiger paintings that would look nice as tattoos. Hope these links are of some help.

much respect
-andrew
Thanks for confirming my Chinese characters mean what I hope they did! I was a little concerned after reading some of the earlier posts about that on this thread.

I checked out the links too. There's a lot of good stuff there. The tiger paintings are VERY nice. I'll really need to take some time and peruse all the tats and pics. Thanks for posting them.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I called the tatoo place and found out the guy moved. Fortunately he's now about 8 minutes away from me instead of 40. The new website is www.markofcain.com

I had a consult yesterday and looked at his portfolio, which was huge and consists only of custom work. It was very impressive and he is the most published tatoo artist in the area. He also speaks publically at universities etc, on health issues. His shop was inspected in June and scored 100. I saw the certificate. He also went into great detail about safety issues along with what makes a good tatoo vs. a poor one, pointing out examples. Needless to say I learned alot yesterday. I scheduled an appt to have it done. The first opening he had was Dec. 3rd so I booked it. I'll post a pic when it's done. Thanks for all the advice. :)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I heard that Spider Webb and tatooists who study his work will use designs that don't have an outline - any feedback on that?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I heard that Spider Webb and tatooists who study his work will use designs that don't have an outline - any feedback on that?
Don't know much about tatoo artists so I'm unfamiliar with Spider Webb, but is this what you're talking about? The unlined portions of shading? I found it on the first page of his gallery pics.

skullflame_big.jpg

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't seen any of his ink on people, that I know of - but he wrote "Pushing Ink" and has two art degrees.

Dunno - just asking if anybody else has heard of / experienced that.

What you posted seems like it fits the description, Sil Lum Tigerlady.

Latest Discussions