Taking "the pledge". What's in it for you?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On a few different discussion boards, I've seen references to martial arts classes that have some kind of group pledge.

The content of the pledges also seems to vary, including
  • basic sentiments such as to try one's best in class, or to not use the art to abuse others.
  • specific sentiments such as remembering a founder
  • rank-specific values, such as a promise to teach what one has learned to pass the art on
  • asking for allegiances outside of the art itself, such as being loyal to an association or faithful to a deity.
So...something I'd like to throw out for discussion is...

Does your school have pledges?

What is your personal opinion of them?

Is there anything to your school pledge that you would like to added, or deleted, or changed?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Sera classes sometimes we use Pendekar Paul de Thouars' invocation:

I present myself before the Creator
I present myself to the best of my ability in the Knowledge of the Art
I ask to receive from the Creator all those things which I do not see
To engrave upon my heart until the end

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Coming from Parker Kenpo, there is the Kenpo Creed as well as a pledge for each belt, yellow through first black.

The few schools I have been in, make note of these things, mostly the Creed. They are not really treated as gospel, but rather something all students should be aware of, and mindful the message they bring.

My instructor described the belt pledges as recognition that someone had screwed up, and their mistake was made a lesson for all to observe.

Personally for me the Creed and belt pledges are for the most part simply reminders of principles I already hold myself to. They also gave me pause to think about things I had yet to consider as part of my training and progression through the ranks, namely my responsibility as a teacher and role model for those in rank below me.

As a rule I don't have a problem with pledges and creeds, in so far as they don't violate an individual's own principles.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes.

Tenets
Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self-Control
Indomitable Spirit

Student Oath
I shall observe the Tenets of Taekwon-Do
I shall respect my instructors and seniors
I shall never misuse Taekwon-Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
I shall build a more peaceful world

They are not really treated as gospel, but rather something all students should be aware of, and mindful the message they bring.

What he said! Anyone who teaches anything needs to be mindful of the example set for the students - because students should strive to emulate the instructor(s), and instructors should strive to inspire their students to surpass them - and without some type fo guideline, how can that happen?

Is there anything to your school pledge that you would like to added, or deleted, or changed?

No.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't have a pledge, per se, but before every class we say:

Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo

which translates roughly into "Every action in life holds the possiblity of enlightenment"

To me, it means to try and be aware of the deeper meaning in events in your life. *shrug*

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes.

Tenets
Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self-Control
Indomitable Spirit

Student Oath
I shall observe the Tenets of Taekwon-Do
I shall respect my instructors and seniors
I shall never misuse Taekwon-Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
I shall build a more peaceful world

What he said! Anyone who teaches anything needs to be mindful of the example set for the students - because students should strive to emulate the instructor(s), and instructors should strive to inspire their students to surpass them - and without some type fo guideline, how can that happen?

No.

I will have to side with Kacey here, lead by example.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No. No pledges, no dojo kun or Korean analogues... nothing of that sort.

I've taught downhill skiing, calligraphy, proof- and model-theory for first order logic, and any number of other things, and I've never asked my students to take any kind of pledge. I do not view it as reasonable to ask my students to make any pledges that I myself would resent having to take. At the begining of my seventh decade of life, I don't really feel much like taking lessons in morality or virtue from a MA teacher, and I wouldn't ask my students to accord me an ethical authority that I myself don't confer on others. I possess certain skills that I'm willing to teach students, as long as they're willing to learn them. For me, that's all that's involved.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay, first of all, like Kacey said:

students should strive to emulate the instructor(s)

I say, the student who REALLY wants to learn WILL emulate the Teacher. Period. All of the pledges and so forth, they never do any good for me, they do not "stick", it takes something deeper.

Now, I am an "old dude", so I do not emulate others so much, I am my own person, but the YOUNG student certainly WILL try to be like the Instructor, as they should be. And, the Instructor is only a human being too, but that's okay, they are a good person to emulate.

I now agree with 'Exile'. What's the point in oaths for me? I will recite them, but I must get needed power from some other source. Oaths don't carry enough weight for me. I can recite them all day long, as a parrot might. I like them, but they don't have the "staying power". I hope I make sense.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't have a pledge, per se, but before every class we say:

Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo

which translates roughly into "Every action in life holds the possiblity of enlightenment"

To me, it means to try and be aware of the deeper meaning in events in your life. *shrug*

I thought it meant Chicken, Hot Mustard, Diet Coke in a bowl? ;)

*ducks for cover*

:redcaptur:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
My daughters' goju-ryu karate school has a general "student creed" and another pledge for shodans and above. They start every class with it, and it does fit in with their commendable effort to teach values along with techniques. Seems to help getting everyone focused and revved up, but most I think are reciting by rote instead of looking for any deep meaning. I think some would be just as comfortable reciting an ad for Pledge Furniture Polish.

I've never seen anything of the sort in Tai Chi classes I've taken, but given that I also haven't seen belts/sashes, formal ranks or certificates, any uniforms or really much of any type of formality this absence of pledges isn't surprising. Being that I'm an elder (nicesspeak for old), maybe that informality is just right for me at this point.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope, we are a Karate club, not a church or a self glorifying secret society. We teach a system of inflicting and avoiding bodily harm, relaxation and body control, not ethics, philosophy or religion.

Loyalty to your instructor, your dojo and your style is a good thing, but declaring it loudly at every is a bit too much for me. A bow suffices.

I have been at traditional schools where the opening greeting had a religious meaning. However you had the option of doing a normal bow and greeting to show respect to the dojo. I liked having that choise. Apart from this there were no religous influence. Your beliefs were your own.

I don`t really like pledges. Shools that are heavy on them tend to be big on mysticism as well.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tenets
Courtesy
Integrity
Perseverance
Self-Control
Indomitable Spirit

We have those as well as a student Oath that is slightly different from school to school.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All ATA events begin with:

Sir/Ma'am - I will practice in the spirit of Taekwondo, with courtesy to my fellow students, loyalty for my instructors and respect for my juniors and seniors, sir/ma'am.
and end with:

Sir/Ma'am - I shall live with perseverance in the spirit of Taekwondo, having honor with others, integrity within myself and self-control in my actions, sir/ma'am.

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score

My school does not have any kind of pledge, and I'm glad about that. The problem with pledges in general is that after a while you just say them per wrote, and the meaning behind them doesn't really even register. In the end, the whole point of making the pledge backfires.
Just my two cents...

edit: My instuctor does recite a pledge of recognition when you recieve a new belt, but that's pretty much universal, isn't it?

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No pledges, no blood oaths and very little ritual. We bow in, we bow out, we bow to our partners, we use basic Japanese terminology and say "thank you" often. Pretty basic.

I remember from my psychology classes in college (waaay back when) reading about the importance of ritual. It helps foster a group's cohesion and sense of belonging. Nothing inherently wrong with it. The Catholic church (for that matter, just about any organized religion that I can think of) uses ritual and group chants to promote this sense of harmony and unity. On the other hand, the Nazis did the same thing for less wholesome purposes. Guess it all depends on who's leading the cheer.

On a related note, if I skip something in my kid's class, I've got 3 or 4 6 yr. olds who will quickly remind me. At that age they thrive on ritual and order and even though they may turn into Lord of the Fly imitators at the drop of a hat, they really want things to follow a set order. It gives them security and confidence because they know what's going to happen next.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our school is run out of a 4H barn, so after the first class and before the 2nd (we have three a night) we recite the 4H pledge:

I pledge my Head to clearer thinking,
My Heart to greater loyalty
My Hands to larger service
and my health to better living
for my club, my community,
my country, and my world
To make the best Better

We don't have a school pledge though, just the acknowledgement that if not for the 4H and their donation of the barn, we would have no dojang at all. Certainly not a $16 a month dojang anyway.

jim