Take care of your teeth

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A long time ago, I ignored advice to have my wisdom teeth removed. I had one taken out when it started hurting, but the others didn't, so I ignored them.

They came in sideways and pushed on my back molars until they exploded. Not all at once, it was a slow motion thing. Still, I ignored it. Little bourbon for the pain and it would pass.

Well, eventually that doesn't work anymore. Just had two molars surgically removed on my left side. Three more on the right in June. Whee. And due to my heart problems, we had to juggle medications, get various doctors to talk to each other, only local anesthetic, plus I wrote a big check.

Don't be stupid like me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A long time ago, I ignored advice to have my wisdom teeth removed. I had one taken out when it started hurting, but the others didn't, so I ignored them.

They came in sideways and pushed on my back molars until they exploded. Not all at once, it was a slow motion thing. Still, I ignored it. Little bourbon for the pain and it would pass.

Well, eventually that doesn't work anymore. Just had two molars surgically removed on my left side. Three more on the right in June. Whee. And due to my heart problems, we had to juggle medications, get various doctors to talk to each other, only local anesthetic, plus I wrote a big check.

Don't be stupid like me.
I'm surprised they stayed in that long.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Don't be stupid like me.
I hope you feel better quick. That sounds pretty awful. I’m shocked you didn’t get them removed in the military. Seemed like they didn’t need any reason to take them.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had one taken out when it started hurting, but the others didn't, so I ignored them.
This is what got me in trouble. There was never any pain. My Wisdom teeth actually rotted and damaged the teeth next to it. They never fully came out.

It reminds me the value of pain. Pain is what lets us know that something is wrong. Had I had pain earlier on, then I could have them removed before they caused problems. I was never given the advice to remove mine. The assumption was that, since they weren't causing pain or problems then it would be better to leave them in. Yep. not such a good idea Mr. Dentist.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The assumption was that, since they weren't causing pain or problems then it would be better to leave them in. Yep. not such a good idea Mr. Dentist.
I had one tooth that was infected. I felt no pain at all. So I didn't bother to take it out. I then found out that it infected 2 other implanted teeth next to it (I didn't know implanted tooth can be infected). When I remove that infected tooth a month ago, I also had to removed those 2 implanted teeth next to it. I will need to have 3 implanted teeth (2 roots with a bridge) to put on in the next 6 months (it costs me $12,000).

Try to keep your infected tooth as long as you can is a bad idea. You will end with more trouble. Also if you remove a wisdom tooth on the bottom, you should also remove the wisdom tooth on the top. Otherwise your top wisdom tooth will grow twice as long.

Last edited:
OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope you feel better quick. That sounds pretty awful. I’m shocked you didn’t get them removed in the military. Seemed like they didn’t need any reason to take them.
One of my platoon members had his out, they botched the job and he had such a bad infection he was on light duty for two months and was nearly medically discharged. When it came time to do mine, I asked to not to, and they made me sign a waiver saying I would not hold the military responsible and that was that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
One of my platoon members had his out, they botched the job and he had such a bad infection he was on light duty for two months and was nearly medically discharged. When it came time to do mine, I asked to not to, and they made me sign a waiver saying I would not hold the military responsible and that was that.

I don't recall having any say in the matter. :D Military medicine. Always a bit of a crap shoot.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't be stupid like me.
Oof. Hope you get feeling better - that sounds like zero fun of any kind.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what got me in trouble. There was never any pain. My Wisdom teeth actually rotted and damaged the teeth next to it. They never fully came out.

It reminds me the value of pain. Pain is what lets us know that something is wrong. Had I had pain earlier on, then I could have them removed before they caused problems. I was never given the advice to remove mine. The assumption was that, since they weren't causing pain or problems then it would be better to leave them in. Yep. not such a good idea Mr. Dentist.
I’ve never had mine out. I got lucky and they all came in nicely. One dentist said “someday” I might want to think about it, but none since have said a peep.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch! That sounds truly awful, Bill.

Dental/oral care is so important, a fact overlooked by many people, especially here in the U.K (have you heard of English teeth?😉). Some research suggests that flossing ones teeth can increase one’s lifespan by up to 9 years! I’m so susceptible to gingivitis I brush thrice daily (with chlorhexidine before bed) floss and use interdental brushes too! It seems to do the trick 😄
CB03727B-B8B0-4DEA-98EF-16BD0FFACDC7.jpeg

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Ouch! That sounds truly awful, Bill.

Dental/oral care is so important, a fact overlooked by many people, especially here in the U.K (have you heard of English teeth?😉). Some research suggests that flossing ones teeth can increase one’s lifespan by up to 9 years! I’m so susceptible to gingivitis I brush thrice daily (with chlorhexidine before bed) floss and use interdental brushes too! It seems to do the trick 😄
View attachment 29674
Have we heard of British teeth? LOL.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have we heard of British teeth? LOL.
A few years ago when I started dating again, I was so surprised at how many U.K. women had partial dentures…ones you’d never expect to 🤢. It was shocking. Now they all go to Turkey and have cheap implants that get infected!!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
A few years ago when I started dating again, I was so surprised at how many U.K. women had partial dentures…ones you’d never expect to 🤢. It was shocking. Now they all go to Turkey and have cheap implants that get infected!!
That's not good. I've had really good luck with my dentist. Been going to the same guy for 17 years now. I picked him back when he was just starting out. He is the "official" dentist for our local hockey team, the Seattle Thunderbirds. Given the tooth issues those kids have, I figured he must be pretty good. :D

My son-in-law was very afraid of dentists. His mom and dad were both afraid of dentists and passed that along to him. So, when he married my daughter, his teeth weren't in very good shape. She's got him sorted now... he goes to our family dentist and has fortunately turned things around before any permanent damage is done. But his mom is now in her late 50s and has a full set of dentures. :(

In the States, medical care in general, and dentistry in particular, is really dependent on coverage. If you have a good job with good insurance, you're more likely to go to the dentist regularly. But even then, there is often a pretty sizable out of pocket expense. So, folks will avoid going to the dentist regularly, though the odds go up with insurance. And will also often defer treatment until it is a crisis because even with insurance the costs can be significant. I had a root canal done a few years back and with insurance, it still cost me over $1000 out of pocket. By the time the crown was in place and all the treatment was complete, I was out over $1500.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One of my coworkers told me the other day that she is taking her husband to go to the dentist..for the first time in his life..at 30 years old. His parents never wanted/couldn't afford to have him go as a kid, and with the media about dentists apparently it just built into anxiety so he never scheduled an appointment.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have personally known of a couple people who got a tooth infection and didn't say anything or seek treatment. One actually ended up dying from it and the other one almost did. Because of how the teeth/sinus area is set up, it is very easy for the infection to spread and get into areas and then rapidly spread from there.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have personally known of a couple people who got a tooth infection and didn't say anything or seek treatment. One actually ended up dying from it and the other one almost did. Because of how the teeth/sinus area is set up, it is very easy for the infection to spread and get into areas and then rapidly spread from there.
This is more common than people think. Untreated dental abscesses are common causes of such lovely things as Ludwigs angina, in which the infection causes swelling in the throat and the floor of the mouth. Why is this a problem? Because your airway collapses.
How about a little bacterial endocarditis? A valve job on your heart is a bit more involved than one on your car.
Or maybe some bacterial meningitis? Brain abscess? The body has a thing called the blood-brain barrier. It's great. Without it, infections in the brain would be far more common. But by the same token, it makes it tremendously difficult to treat brain infections when they do occur. I can recall patients who had catheters inserted into the ventricle of their brain and antibiotics directly administered. I don't recall it being terribly effective even so.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's not good. I've had really good luck with my dentist. Been going to the same guy for 17 years now. I picked him back when he was just starting out. He is the "official" dentist for our local hockey team, the Seattle Thunderbirds. Given the tooth issues those kids have, I figured he must be pretty good. :D

My son-in-law was very afraid of dentists. His mom and dad were both afraid of dentists and passed that along to him. So, when he married my daughter, his teeth weren't in very good shape. She's got him sorted now... he goes to our family dentist and has fortunately turned things around before any permanent damage is done. But his mom is now in her late 50s and has a full set of dentures. :(

In the States, medical care in general, and dentistry in particular, is really dependent on coverage. If you have a good job with good insurance, you're more likely to go to the dentist regularly. But even then, there is often a pretty sizable out of pocket expense. So, folks will avoid going to the dentist regularly, though the odds go up with insurance. And will also often defer treatment until it is a crisis because even with insurance the costs can be significant. I had a root canal done a few years back and with insurance, it still cost me over $1000 out of pocket. By the time the crown was in place and all the treatment was complete, I was out over $1500.
There is a two year waiting list for NHS dentists in Devon/Cornwall. So I save up money for dental treatment since I considered it a priority over other things in life like the latest sneakers, pay per view TV or take away food 🤷🏾

Anyone want to see my teeth again…from a different angle?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There is a two year waiting list for NHS dentists in Devon/Cornwall. So I save up money for dental treatment since I considered it a priority over other things in life like the latest sneakers, pay per view TV or take away food 🤷🏾

Anyone want to see my teeth again…from a different angle?
Two years for just a check up? That seems like a lot. We try to get in every 6 months for a routine check.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
My dentist a few years ago asked me if there was anything about my teeth that concerned me. I said, "Yes! Getting punched in the mouth." 😁

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The best tooth maintenance is to chew fresh ginger root daily.
  • Is ginger anti-inflammatory? It is possible. Slattery notes, “Ginger contains over 400 natural compounds, and some of these are anti-inflammatory. More studies will help us determine if eating ginger has any impact on conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis or respiratory inflammation.”