Tailoring

--"1) Are triple burner and triple warmer interchangable terms?"--

Yes. When you translate from the many Chinese Dialects you'll see "Triple Warmer, Heater, Burner, etc. All the same just different translations.

--"2) "I also know that even if a student is not capable of exactly hitting the mark in the beginning, as long a I give him good basic execution the technique will work on a mechanical level quite well. " That almost sounds like Motion Kenpo talk... I thought those points were stressed from the beginning?--

Well the difference is we are working on a specific alphabetical sequence backed up by an anatomically correct delivery system. I know everyone says they emphasize correct basics, but I haven't seen them. I think some do some "effective" basics but that's different. As you know I can rebuild and show you the difference in everything you do on the spot. I gave a guy a lesson in "fighting posture" today and HOW to get there. This guy stepped back into a neutral bow, hands up on guard, with fists clenched tightly. He looked beautiful, but I knocked him over with one weak push. Although the posture looked correct aesthetically, he got there anatomically incorrect and destroyed his "Platform Relationship." Therefore he had no strength to resist.

--"3) I know you are against blunt force trauma and attacking soft tissue areas. Do you refer to those nerve point activations as just that, "activations" or as "micro traumas"?--

I'm not really against "BFT," just the reliance on it for effective application. If all you have is "BFT" than sooner or later you run into someone who doesn't feel pain or can take a hit better than you can. Everytime you hit a meridian it has an effect even if the opponent doesn't "feel" it. Like the guy at the camp. He felt me tap him (you know I don't hit people like Dillman does. He really clocks people. No wonder they go down.) but because there was no real pain, he thought he was ok and even told me so. Then he crashed and burned. It really scared the guy and we had to talk afterwards because he didn't understand why he fell or why he couldn't get up. In blunt force trauma and soft tissue attacks you are trying to inflict pain. Under certain circumstances, society might not find this acceptable. In California putting your fingers in someones eyes is called "mayhem," and is a legal enhancement that ups the penalty under the law and a man might have a difficult time justifying this type of action, no matter what. We don't do soft tissue strikes because they are either overkill or unnecessary.

With Ed Parker's SubLevel Four Kenpo interpretation, pain is not the objective, incapacitation is. Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt, but pain is a vicarious byproduct of the application. That's the beauty of it. You can modulate the destruction from extreme to almost nothing but still maintain the control.

--"4) Could you comment on the "levels" that you go through in the system. What level does CMA (control manipulation alternatives) represent? I think you mentioned there were 5 stages/levels as you re-examine the base with advancing students if I'm not mistaken? Mr. C referred to his process as "phases"...."

Yes, Ed Parker called the levels "Phases" as Dennis I and I both do. However Motion-Kenpo is a stand alone concept that has it's own phases. It was created in the early seventies specifically for the purposes of proliferation. SubLevel Four Kenpo has a so-called "ideal phase" as well but it's different. It's called a "Default Technique Phase," or Phase One. This Phase encompasses everything taught from beginner to black. Forms, sets, techniques, and it's own unique physical principles and body mechanics that are not available in Motion-Kenpo. As you saw on your visit, the orange and purple move better than many browns and blacks because of the emphasis on proper execution and body mechanics above everything else for effective applications. The really cool thing is, if you accept and work at it, it doesn't take any longer to learn.

Phase Two re-interprets the forms and sets and teaches applications hidden in them. All of them are functional and are not motion based at all. (Neither are they in Phase One). The techniques are also raised to a higher level of aggression where every attack includes additional hand or foot assaults in conjunction with attempts to wrestle or take you down. This introduces the GCM Concept and students are obliged to finish the Default Technique Sequence no matter what the opponent does by controlling the distance. This Phase also contains the introduction to Control Manipulation with Short Form One as the base vehicle to begin the process. Phase Two also becomes "Nerve Cavity Specific" by teaching more what, when , and how.

Phase Three Introduces Control Manipulation Alternatives (CMA). These are quick finishes to techniques that are short, vicious, and effective. The level of destruction is still under your control however with the emphasis on attacking nerves and misaligning the body as you align your own. The smaller details become obviously rellevant.

Phase Four requires a student execute the technique with a Full Control Manipulation finish for every technique in the curriculum. A student must control the attacker fully and completely dominate the destructive potential of the circumstance. (However the term Control Manipulation and Contact Manipulation have different meanings in SL-4 interpretation).

Phase Five is where you learn to formulate. Not physically because you already learned that by Phase Four, but you learn to formulate Destructive Sequencing to be effective, as well as explore internal energy, and healing techniques. Knowing what nerves to attack, what sequence, and what posture is necessary to facilitate specific cavity availability are all here.

This is the short version. We do a lot more.

Amen Dennis to your post.

(Have you done what you're supposed to do yet? Don't make me come to Arizona now.);)

Originally posted by Doc

Amen Dennis to your post.

(Have you done what you're supposed to do yet? Don't make me come to Arizona now.);)

If you have to go to Arizona, I wanna be your manager. We can call the event: DESTRUCTION IN THE DESERT . Of course I'll have to tease my hair up to look like Don King again, but that's no big thang. Maybe we could get Trejo to Center-Ref for you guys.

Hasta,
Billy

Originally posted by WilliamTLear

If you have to go to Arizona, I wanna be your manager. We can call the event: DESTRUCTION IN THE DESERT . Of course I'll have to tease my hair up to look like Don King again, but that's no big thang. Maybe we could get Trejo to Center-Ref for you guys.

Hasta,
Billy

No matter how much you agitate your hair, Don King you ain't. (that's a good thing)

Originally posted by Doc

No matter how much you agitate your hair, Don King you ain't. (that's a good thing)

You mean I stuck my finger in the light socket for no reason? Damn! Well, at least I survived! :cool:

I'm kinda glad that I'm not Don King... I hear he has to wear some pretty foul cologne to keep Mike Tyson from eating him. I just couldn't live under those conditions, but the hair is cool though!!! :lol:

Originally posted by Doc

If all you have is "BFT" than sooner or later you run into someone who doesn't feel pain or can take a hit better than you can. Everytime you hit a meridian it has an effect even if the opponent doesn't "feel" it.

EVERYTIME? Have you ever run across someone who just seemed
be built differently than normal people, and just flat out didn't
react? At a seminar with Ed Jr., a student just wouldn't react
to BFT or the nerve manipulations that were executed on him.

Originally posted by Kirk

EVERYTIME? Have you ever run across someone who just seemed
be built differently than normal people, and just flat out didn't
react? At a seminar with Ed Jr., a student just wouldn't react
to BFT or the nerve manipulations that were executed on him.

Well essentially that is what I'm talking about. There are some who have high pain tolerance and accept punishment very well. They are rare but you run into them from time to time. I had a guy I was teaching in the Police Academy that when you put him in a wristlock, he just didn't "feel it."

But everyone (that's alive) has a reaction to proper nerve activations, even if they don't feel it at first because they affect the nervous system. At the same time in most demos, you attempt to activate one nerve just to show a physical effect. With these people you need to activate more than one to get a visible effect, and it can get dangerous if you are not knowledgeable. A person who doesn't feel isn't good because pain is a warning mechanism for the body. Without it a person may do or allow something lethal to himself without any prior warning. If it didn't hurt when you put your hand in fire, you might burn it off.

Ed jr. doesn't know what sequences to use in a particular situation. He really doesn't like the "destructive nature" of the nerve information. He gravitates to the more passive elements of the arts. He's seen the aggressive "rip his head off stuff" all his life and only does it to make a point.

The big guy I did at Speaks camp in 97 was like that. But I "sequenced" him with 2 strikes from Alternating Maces, and he just stood there and said, "I'm fine, I didn't feel anything." He smiled for a moment and looked around the room as if to say, "See?" Than he collapsed. But the scary part for him is he never felt any pain. He thought he was alright but for some reason, his legs wouldn't work so it scared him to death. On another I used the last strike in Delayed Sword and tapped a guy and he went straight to the floor and was sitting and looking up at me like, "How did I get here." When I stood him up, he was still out of it but didn't know it. He was rocking back and forth and I had to hold his arm so he wouldn't fall again. The first thing people say is "I'm all right," because they think they are. A bb in Baltimore told me he was OK and then slowly as he was standing there began reaching with his hands "looking" for the floor." and had to sit down. Some react very dramatically, others are just "gone." What we call "Physical/Mental Disassociation." One day I'll have to convert that tape to digital and make an mpeg of that. But I don't use that stuff to get students so I have always held onto the tapes. That stuff is the results of training not the goal. The first thing I tell students "forget nerves" let me teach you "HOW" to move.

I have found there are some nerves on just about everybody that they won't visibly react to. I also have found those same people wll react outwardly to other nerves. I have a rather large student who doesn't seem to feel Lung nerves on his arms, but who "lights up" on the CV. Everyone is different and that is why you must first have an effective delivery system and forget the cavity points. MK doesn't have the nformation for that type of application and focuses instead on BFT and soft tissue to insure effectiveness.

As far as blunt force trauma, you can train to take a shot but they still have an accumulative effect on the living. Boxers train to take at least as much as they give, but they still get hurt. That's the nightmare. A guy who you just hit several times who just smiles at you with no apparent affect. Imagine the fear of police officers who are wailing away on a guy with batons and he just won't comply, than add 2 strikes with a taser that he ignors. That was the nightmare of "Rodney King." Scary when the guy is 6'5 over 300 lbs and on drugs.

Latest Discussions

Back