Taekwondo stay in Olympics 2020!

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would even phrase it differently. Taekwondo is in and wrestling is out (not might be). Wrestling has to apply/present to be included in the next IOC session, but for the moment, as it stands, they are out of the Olympics.

I think this is great news for Taekwondo!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be difficult after 2020 if Karate or Wushu are chosen as the alternative to wrestling though as to non martial artists alongwith TKD these are all very similiar.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think they will select wrestling as official sport. This is more like a warning, they must change rules and make it more audience friendly. ( and refereeing must be better )

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they will select wrestling as official sport. This is more like a warning, they must change rules and make it more audience friendly. ( and refereeing must be better )

Trouble is that's what they have done with a number of sports like Judo and TKD and changed it for the worse.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Trouble is that's what they have done with a number of sports like Judo and TKD and changed it for the worse.

Agreed, 100%. TKD has decided to make the sport "flashier" by rewarding head and spinning kicks with more points.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it is a good day for TKD. Yes it is not core TKD but it does and will drive business to school owners. And if you teach traditional as well as have a program for the sport side separated from your traditional your school will be the better for it.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the olympics were the worst thing to happen to the MARTIAL ART of TKD, and this decision is a shame for wrestling.

an out and out shame

and dont bother trying to to tell me how wrong i am, because IMO i am not.

not in the slightest

olympic TKD is a joke, and needs to die in a fire, IN MY OPINION

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think this was the greatest thing for taekwondo, Today's rules are much better and fights are much more fun to watch :)

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Old Reliable!!!!:flame:

the olympics were the worst thing to happen to the MARTIAL ART of TKD, and this decision is a shame for wrestling.

an out and out shame

not in the slightest

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score

an out and out shame

not in the slightest

I agree to a point. TKD's olympic connection has bloated the martial sport aspect of things. Olympic style is quite rigorous but the newer rules are for the gymnasts among us. Flashy kicks may be exciting to watch but are a poor example of TKD's sum total.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is a good day for TKD. Yes it is not core TKD but it does and will drive business to school owners. And if you teach traditional as well as have a program for the sport side separated from your traditional your school will be the better for it.

This is very true. The TV presence has fueled the popularity. It sends an unbalanced message about TKD.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is a real shame for wrestling, but it is good that TKD remains. However, I would like to see an overhaul of the TKD rules and scoring system.

I have a lot of non-martial artist friends, as I am sure all of you guys do, but I feel that the way TKD is conducted at the Olympics shows martial arts in a bad light. A lot of my friends consider TKD in the Olympics to be the bench mark or base of all other martial arts and no matter how you explain the differences and complexities surrounding martial arts of differing styles, it is sometimes impossible to change their minds.

Question in point, 'How stupid is it to perform a jump spinning head kick to score more points even if you land on your ***? In the street that isn't practical.'

Fair point in all honesty, however, no matter how many times I explained that although I agreed with his view, street fighting is different to rules based competition. His answer, 'Well I don't see the point of doing any martial art if that is the way you guys fight.'

And no matter how much I explained that training for competition is completely different from training to fight realistically or for a SD perspective, his mind was made up after watching competitor after competitor fight the same way in the Olympics.

It can be frustrating, I have trained in TKD for 2 years previously and alongside the multitudes of other styles I have had the privilege to train in, you think he would understand my point of view due to my experience. But no, he believes Olympic TKD is the way all martial artists fight, he may be completely wrong, but others share the same belief.

Introducing Wushu or traditional Karate may be a good way to go in dispelling this myth, but if the rules for TKD were tweaked slightly, for instance, only scoring a technique that is performed correctly leaving the attacker in a solid safe position after the attack (such as is the case for Wado Ryu (for instance a reverse punch may only score a full point if the attacker's stance is correct, knee not dropping to the floor etc)).

But hey, these are only my opinions, would I like to see wrestling stay, yes. Do I want to see TKD go, no, but I do think there is a vast room for improvement.

OP
Markku P

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It is a real shame for wrestling, but it is good that TKD remains. However, I would like to see an overhaul of the TKD rules and scoring system.

I think the main reason why Taekwondo stay in Olympics are our new rules so no need to change. Wrestling..they have made mistake with their rules and really poor judging.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Like them or not, taekwondo's ruleset is what makes it unique, which is the point. The new rules are intended to make the match more exciting to watch. Athletes are encouraged to attempt more difficult techniques, not be more realistic. I appreciate the display of skill and the continuing development of the sport.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
All my non-martial arts friends found the Olympics exciting...many watched because my kids do the sport and quite a few have put their kids in TKD. All of them seem to be able to understand the difference between the sport and self defense. They find the spinning kicks to be very exciting...allot of them watched Servet Tazegul on Utube and have become fans!

Lets face it the 2012 Olympics were a big success for TKD which is why it remained in the Olympics. Great fights and sold out crowds. It was a big success. Looks good for Karate and Japan as the host for the Olympics. They moved out wrestling to bring in another combat sport. Karate will bring allot of coverage in Japan...I think it puts Karate as the front runner for inclusion in 2020.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Like them or not, taekwondo's ruleset is what makes it unique, which is the point. The new rules are intended to make the match more exciting to watch. Athletes are encouraged to attempt more difficult techniques, not be more realistic. I appreciate the display of skill and the continuing development of the sport.

In Olympic TKD, the skill set and gymnasticism (made up word) is impressive. However, I agree with a previous poster: It is problematic to allow a player to score with a spinning/jumping kick and then fall to the ground without consequence. First of all, the technique is incomplete. Secondly, it is kind of like cheating but not. Either the score should not count if a player falls to the ground or the defender should be able to hit the person on the ground. Promoting TKD by creating rules for flashier maneuvers speaks of modern marketing techniques, rather than solid TKD techniques. I do not fault the players who use the rules to his/her favor, but I do find valid points of criticism in extolling flash over solid execution. Just imagine of gymnasts did not have to worry about landing correctly, think of all the wild flips he/she could execute?

Latest Discussions