Taekwondo isn't from Karate, it's from Korean Gwonbub that existed for 300 years

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 300 years old Korean Gwonbub pictures that I showed look like today's Taekwondo & Karate. Byungin Yoon taught a martial art called Gwonbub in Korea, which became a huge part of new Taekwondo. That suffices as proof cause the sport name is the same & the contents are the same. If there was any Karate school who contributed to the creation of Taekwondo, it is merely Kata culture being adopted by Taekwondo. Karate didn't invent nor have anything Korean Gwonbub already didn't have for the last 300 years. All the important Taekwondo techniques including rotation punching already existed in Korean Gwonbub, which Japan probably copied in creating Karate. Also, Byungin Yoon doesn't have lineage to Karate; he learned Gwonbub to teach the sport named Gwonbub.
You just pointed out that Gwonbub also looks like Karate. So, the similarities you pointed out to say they had to have come from Gwonbub could also have come from Karate.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
You just pointed out that Gwonbub also looks like Karate. So, the similarities you pointed out to say they had to have come from Gwonbub could also have come from Karate.

Wouldn't it be reasonable to believe:

Koreans were prohibited by the Japanese government to train in martial arts in 1870 that lasted in to the 1920s.

Karate originated in Okinawa and taken to Japan.

And Gwonbub could have originated from Okinawaan karate as well but that link was lost during the ban?

OP
S

Steven Lee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Something could have come from either Gwonbub or Karate? Gwonbub is older, & Byungin Yoon used that name for teaching.

No, Gwonbub was never lost. It was taught in the Korean military even until the early 20th century. Korean military was trained in its martial art textbook Muyedobotongji including Gwonbub.

No, Gwonbub's history recorded it came from Subak (means Clap, but the sport had straight slaps & punches anyway), with Chinese Kung Fu Taizu 32 Palm Way influence. Also, Japanese admit that Toudi & Karate are different, "simpler". It's weird for sports to look "coincidentally" the same. So, Karate probably copied Korean Gwonbub since it's older than 1922's Funakoshi Karate by 200 years. I don't think Korean Gwonbub is from Okinawan Toudi. There's no such records at all in Korea. Also, how did Okinawan Toudi "really" look like? No visual records, right?

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something could have come from either Gwonbub or Karate? Gwonbub is older, & Byungin Yoon used that name for teaching.

No, Gwonbub's history recorded it came from Subak (means Clap, but the sport had straight slaps & punches anyway), with Chinese Kung Fu Taizu 32 Palm Way influence. Also, Japanese admit that Toudi & Karate are different, "simpler". It's weird for sports to look "coincidentally" the same. So, Karate probably copied Korean Gwonbub since it's older than 1922's Funakoshi Karate by 200 years. I don't think Korean Gwonbub is from Okinawan Toudi. There's no such records at all.

Funakoshi studied and brought karate from Okinawa not Korea.

OP
S

Steven Lee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No, that's what he said, not what he did. Does it seem likely though? Pictures don't look the same coincidentally (which is why I was hung up on Taekwondo-Gwonbub link). This is just a side topic. I already declared that Taekwondo is mostly Karate influence & that I will focus on other Korean traditional sports (like Taekyun-Yetbub, Nalparam, Subak, Kyuksul, Breaking, etc many historical sports) to value the cultural wealth of Korea. Also, Funakoshi admitted that Okinawan Toudi & Karate are different, right? Simpler or whatever?

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, that's what he said, not what he did. Does it seem likely though? Pictures don't look the same coincidentally. This is just a side topic. I already declared that Taekwondo is mostly Karate influence & that I will focus on other Korean traditional sports (like Taekyun-Yetbub, Nalparam, Subak, Kyuksul, Breaking, etc many historical sports) to value the cultural wealth of Korea. Also, Funakoshi admitted that Okinawan Toudi & Karate are different, right? Simpler or whatever?

Well he was born and raised in Okinawa....so it would be likely that what he brought to Japan was based from Okinanwaan style karate.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity. Is it that important to know where the original roots of TKD came from? When I look at Traditional Korean marital arts, they tend to have a different flow than TKD. I've noticed this with many martial arts. It is like each system has a unique concept of movement that is adopted by the area (country, region, village) and I'm thinking if you view that concept of movement, then you can trace it back to it's influences. TKD does not move like Traditional Korean Martial arts. It's movement is more like a blend between Korean and Japanese martial arts.

If I had to describe TKD, then I would say that it took the punching from Japan and Kicking from Native Korean Martial arts which seem to favor more of the soft power than the hard power that is common in Japanese Martial arts.

OP
S

Steven Lee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The topic of Taekwondo, Gwonbub, Karate link is done. Taekwondo is mostly Karate. Also, I'm limited to computer time due to my living conditions, can't commit to this place.

Yes, truth matters in any topic, especially if I (or my background Korea) get harms, losses, profits in any way from it. I'm done here.

Korean martial arts don't favor "soft power". You made it up. Historically, Korea has many historical data hitting hard, punching hard, kicking hard. Taekyun does soft contact sparring, but Taekyun-Yetbub hits hard (& it punches and stuff) for real. Kyuksul which likely comes from Korean Subak also is known for hard power. Kiaijutsu (Korean Kihapsul/Charyuk) also uses hard power in Breaking/Tameshiwari (not from martial art but self-created from power circus, which Mas Oyama introduced to Karate). There are also many Subak records hitting hard. What Japanese martial art favors hard power? Karate? Karate doesn't hit the same way as its Tameshiwari/Breaking which is from Kiaijutsu including the hitting technique. Judo? Judo throws hard, but Korean wrestling Ssireum is also like that, except more limited in grips.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity. Is it that important to know where the original roots of TKD came from? When I look at Traditional Korean marital arts, they tend to have a different flow than TKD. I've noticed this with many martial arts. It is like each system has a unique concept of movement that is adopted by the area (country, region, village) and I'm thinking if you view that concept of movement, then you can trace it back to it's influences. TKD does not move like Traditional Korean Martial arts. It's movement is more like a blend between Korean and Japanese martial arts.

If I had to describe TKD, then I would say that it took the punching from Japan and Kicking from Native Korean Martial arts which seem to favor more of the soft power than the hard power that is common in Japanese Martial arts.

Its definitely a blend of styles.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, but they also brought okinawa brought karate from china. It's all a circle (or line in this case I guess).
There are some over laps, but each country had their own national concept of fighting.and you can see those fighting concepts by examining the movement of the fighting and not so much the techniques, because the techniques overlap big time from martial arts to martial arts. National fighting concepts is no different than National governance concepts that are embraced by the citizens.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, truth matters in any topic, especially if I (or my background Korea) get harms, losses, profits in any way from it.
I don't want to sound too American and too insensitive, but I doubt the harm, losses, losses in profit or any other perceived loss would be rectified by who did what first. TKD is one of the most profitable martial arts systems out there and the majority of those who practice it aren't even interested in actually being able to fight and destroy their enemy.

I find it difficult that any loss that you are experiencing is the result of knowing the truth about the origin of TKD. That is unless you are a tour guide who tells tourist about the origins of TKD. I have always found that the Truth only matters when things are clear. Until then that point the truth is a fuzzy thing with different perspective. Sort of like science. The science community is just a bunch of scientist who think they know what is going on with various theories on what the truth is. Then one day someone is able to get to the truth, which usually mean there were a lot of other scientists who had incorrect theories. Martial arts is like that. The people who could have really shined more accurate information have been dead for centuries and unfortunately they weren't good at documenting martial arts history.

They were probably like the rest of us. Life gets in the way and other priorities take over.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, Gwonbub was never lost. It was taught in the Korean military even until the early 20th century. Korean military was trained in its martial art textbook Muyedobotongji including Gwonbub.

Now you're claiming that the Korean military (which didn't exist during the Japanese occupation) was training with spears on horseback up through the liberation, but all record of this was erased?

No, that's what he said, not what he did.

Ah, I get it. So Gichin Funakosi was also a part of the Great Conspiracy?

I already declared that Taekwondo is mostly Karate influence

Yes. You finally got it correct. Taekwondo was almost wholly based on Karate, primarily Shotokan.

Taekwondo is mostly Karate.

Yes. It is. It's good that you've finally come to realize this.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Korean martial arts don't favor "soft power". You made it up. Historically, Korea has many historical data hitting hard, punching hard, kicking hard.
Soft and hard power has nothing to do with how hard someone hits or kicks another pers. Soft power and hard power are just fighting concepts that describe how one receives attacks and send attacks. These are common martial arts techniques. But I'll take the credit for creating the concepts of Soft and Hard Power. if you want to give it to me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah actually not many know this, but I invented Taekwondo.

(You may close the thread if you wish)
That's awesome. I just found out today that I invented the concept of Soft and Hard Power. I can't wait to tell Hanzou and Kung Fu Wang that their teachers lied to them. Guess I'll have to go to China and give them the bad news as well.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's awesome. I just found out today that I invented the concept of Soft and Hard Power. I can't wait to tell Hanzou and Kung Fu Wang that their teachers lied to them. Guess I'll have to go to China and give them the bad news as well.

Yeah I thought so, and no worries you're totally welcome by the way! And that's really cool to know, yeah you'd better do that, for the sake of historical accuracy :S

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
As for Taekwondo's earliest gyms, you mean original 2 Kwans, Changmugwan & Pasaenggwan. From my sources, everyone learned Gwonbub from YMCA Gwonbub club (1946) & Chosunyeonmugwan Gwonbub Club. Even the Taekwondo people who called their art Toudi/Tangsu by linguistic influence learned from Byungin Yoon, according to my sources. Also, there should be physical evidences for YMCA Gwonbub club (1946) & Chosunyeonmugwan Gwonbub Club, paperwork & whatnot.

Out of interest, given that you state Taekwondo's earliest gyms are effectively Changmookwan (GM Yoon, Byung-in founded) and you claim that GM Yoon taught solely Kwonbeop and all of Taekwondo comes from this root - have you checked this with the current president of Changmookwan?

I interviewed him in July of last year (coming to my Youtube channel when I can finish the translation) and he made no such claims.

If you like I can ask him (through his son), specific questions about this early period? I'm a Changmookwan 7th Dan and a regional CMK manager for the UK.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to ask the OP if he trains martial arts if so what and to what standard?