Taekwondo for Fitness

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We also do a thing called Black Jacks. This is how it goes: You do 1 sit-up and 20 pushups and then run down and back. Then 2:19, 3:18, and all the way until it's 20 situps and 1 pushup.Whenever I get the honor to lead a warmup I make at least one of the classes do it. If the whole class does it together then we usualy do jumping jacks until everyone is ready to move on.

OP
Skip Cooper

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We also do a thing called Black Jacks. This is how it goes: You do 1 sit-up and 20 pushups and then run down and back. Then 2:19, 3:18, and all the way until it's 20 situps and 1 pushup.Whenever I get the honor to lead a warmup I make at least one of the classes do it. If the whole class does it together then we usualy do jumping jacks until everyone is ready to move on.

Cool, I like the sound of that drill. Gonna try them tomorrow, but instead of running I'll throw in a some "burpees" between the pushups and situps.

My usual circuit I do at home is 25 reps of pushups, situps and squats until I can do no more, which is usually about 5 sets. Then I finish off with Hindu pushups, we called them dive bombs back in the day. I usually cool down with some basic yoga poses and a couple of chi gung forms that I know. This usually takes about 30 to 45 minutes to complete and I work up a good sweat. I am always looking for something to crank up the intensity.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am always looking for something to crank up the intensity.

Skip: the best way to crank up intensity is in a power rack. But if you don't have a lifting-oriented gym available, as I gather, and if you like doing pushups, then try pushups with your feet elevated, on a folding chair or something like that. Get your feet a couple of feet above your head and do pushups... then, when you can do that, change the drill to one-arm pushups.

OP
Skip Cooper

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Skip: the best way to crank up intensity is in a power rack. But if you don't have a lifting-oriented gym available, as I gather, and if you like doing pushups, then try pushups with your feet elevated, on a folding chair or something like that. Get your feet a couple of feet above your head and do pushups... then, when you can do that, change the drill to one-arm pushups.

Yes, those are excellent variations of the tried and true pushups. I use differing elevations to hit all of my upper body and the Hindu pushups are a great finish because they tie it all together neatly.

I now tend to stay away from weightlifting. After many years of powerlifting, I have some joint problems, especially in my shoulders. Since I quit lifting and switched to bodyweight exercises, my joint pain has gone away and I feel stronger now. I try to simulate all of the weight training exercises without the equipment and I am no longer interested in being the biggest guy on the block...I have finally come to terms with my short stature, LOL! I just wished I could fit into regular size clothes again, LOL!

My philosophy on strength has changed as I have gotten older. I am more interested now in strength conditioning rather than power. I come from a football/wrestling background where power and flexiblility were stressed, but this atmosphere also lends itself to injuries. It is my opinion that if you can fatigue your muscles with your own body weight, with proper form, you cannot injure yourself. Your body will tell you when you have had enough. To up the intensity, I either increase the reps or the sets until I can do no more, it just depends on my mood when I am training. Besides look how strong animals are in the wild...and they don't have to worry about gym memberships, training pyramids, or scheduling rest days.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for the clip...we called them squat thrusts back in my wrestling days. Those alone can get you into shape.

Thanks again, guys.

The squat-thrust is the bit without the jump. We call the squat-trust with the jump included burpees too. I hate them, they are a killer, I love squat thrusts and can do them better than any guy at our class, but the jumps.... *shudder*

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's funny....I've heard the term "squat-thrust" a million times and couldn't figure out what people meant by it. So whenever I saw squat thrust I thought 'Well I'll just do burpees instead,' or I'd do squat jumps, what a dork!

OP
Skip Cooper

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's funny....I've heard the term "squat-thrust" a million times and couldn't figure out what people meant by it. So whenever I saw squat thrust I thought 'Well I'll just do burpees instead,' or I'd do squat jumps, what a dork!

I've done the same with 'burpees' but was always too proud to ask what it was. So I have done burpees all along and you have done squat thrusts all along...now if I just knew what a 'side-staddle hop' was. LOL, j/k it is the same as a jumping jack.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am currently training in jungkikwan hapkido. As of yet, I have seen no kicking, but I have recently joined this organization so I have not been exposed to all of the techniques.

However, I do have some shotokan experience from many years ago.

Correct me if I am mistaken. Wasn't Jungkikwan highlighted in Black Belt magazine not to very long ago. Something about the 10 kicks of hapkido. It was a nice read.

OP
Skip Cooper

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Correct me if I am mistaken. Wasn't Jungkikwan highlighted in Black Belt magazine not to very long ago. Something about the 10 kicks of hapkido. It was a nice read.

Unfortunately, I am unable to confirm or deny you assertion about the Black Belt article. After searching Black Belt Magazine online, I could not find anything specific on Hapkido kicking techniques and I did not find a thing on Jungkikwan Hapkido. However, I did find quite alot of information on cane fighting as taught in the jang mu won hapkido style. BB's archive may not have been added to the database yet, if you know the issue I would be grateful if you could forward me the information.

OP
Skip Cooper

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
OK Jaz, just for you here is Jen's version of the Power Pyramid:

Round 1: 1 Burpee; 2 Pushups; 3 Situps run down the gym and back, do jumping jacks until everyone is done.

Round 2: 2 Burpees; 4 Pushups ; 6 Situps repeat running and jumping jacks

Round 3: 3 Burpees; 6 Pushups; 9 Situps repeat run/jumping jacks

Round 4: 4 Burpees; 8 Pushups; 12 Situps repeat run/jumping jacks

R5: 5;10;15
R6: 6;12;18
R7: 7;14;21
R8: 8;16;24
R9: 9;18;27
R10: 10;20;30

I added the jumping jacks because it gives the really in shape people a little more challenge AND because (I know this is hard to believe) but some people sometimes try to cheat on pushups!

I tried this routine on Wednesday, although I substituted squats for 10 reps instead of running. OMG, this was a killer workout. My abs weren't up to the workload, I was forced to finish with crunches:waah:. I was able to complete the pushups, but they didn't get tough until the last couple of sets. Next time, I will start off with 5 pushups and progress up to 25. This should bring me to the wall like the situps.

Thank you very much for sharing this routine, it is now part of my training regimen.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Glad you like it! It is a great model to tweak as needed too, very easy to substitute exercises as you wish.

OP
Skip Cooper

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
DUH!!!

You know, I just re-read your post and I completely left the burpees out of the routine. I just went pushups, situps and squats. No wonder the pushups were so easy. I guess from all the years of ignoring the word "burpees", I completely looked past it.

Thanks again for the post.

tkd_jen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, you're in for a totally different workout! :) The pushups are OK until round 7 or 8. Good luck!

Latest Discussions