Taekkyon

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can see we are all just going to go round and round and never make any forward progress. Well I will be looking into other avenues so we can really understand what it is we are all talking about, me it is about the history and timeframe of what has become TKD and what and who has had the biggest influence in beginning it to where it is today.

Well, the thing is, in order to make forward progress you have to get a solid foundation, and that includes dealing with lingering ghosts, legends (urban or otherwise), and a lot of stuff that can limit your search for those other avenues you mention. I've suggested another avenue of that kind—a connection between TKD on the one hand and certain Chinese arts, like Long Fist, which have similar spectacular, full extension acrobatic kicks. And we know that some at least of the early TKD Kwan founders did study Chinese systems, and it's the hard northern external systems, the ones like Long Fist, that are geographically relatively close to Korea and Manchuria, that have those kicks. I've said it before—I think that the Koreans happen to like kicking, period, and that's the reason they incorporate a variety of acrobatic kicks in their MAs—but it's at least possible that these neighboring CMAs, of the type I'm talking about, contributed something as well. It's something to investigate. Another possibility (which actually might be part of the first story) involves the role of Hapkido in the formation of TKD kicking. I don't know what the relationship between the two arts is, but at least one poster on MT has suggested that Hapkido kicking techniques were influential in the development of TKD's current kicking arsenal, and the relationship between the CMAs and Hapkido itself becomes part of the question. Finally, we know that tournament competition tends to promote spectacular kicks, when athletic difficulty is part of the point-scoring equation. It's not just TKD that shows this; it's happened in sport karate too and, interestingly enough, in Taekkyon, where the World Taekkyon Headquarters site specifically identifies many of the modern Taekkyon's high spinning kicks as the result of tournament competitive activities (remember that Taekkyon is now part of the official ROK sport council). So some (though probably not all) of the kicking components of TKD have arisen from the tournament career of TKD, maybe piggybacking on what I think is the long-time Korean interest in difficult leg techniques for their own sake.

All of these are possible directions for further exploration. But as long as people have this imprinted equation TKD kicking = Taekkyon influence in their minds, no matter how little good support there is for it, we won't be looking in those directions with much perseverence. So this kind of discussion is necessary, I think, just to clear the ground a bit.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every single thread on every single chat line ends in this same manner. Nobody ever getting anywhere. Why is that, what the hell is so hard to get the truth from people about an art that is only 50 freaking year old here. My God it is not like we are trying to go back 100,000 years and pinpoint the start of the mankind. I have never understood why anybody try to fabricate a art that is like the number one art in terms of people doing it. I would be like look what we have done it such a short period of time.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every single thread on every single chat line ends in this same manner. Nobody ever getting anywhere. Why is that, what the hell is so hard to get the truth from people about an art that is only 50 freaking year old here. My God it is not like we are trying to go back 100,000 years and pinpoint the start of the mankind. I have never understood why anybody try to fabricate a art that is like the number one art in terms of people doing it. I would be like look what we have done it such a short period of time.

Politics, ideology, one catastrophe after another (Occupation, Korean War, the Park dictatorship, nonstop hunger and social disruption, fear of an even deadlier conflict with the North...) It's gotta have an effect, Terry.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Politics, ideology, one catastrophe after another (Occupation, Korean War, the Park dictatorship, nonstop hunger and social disruption, fear of an even deadlier conflict with the North...) It's gotta have an effect, Terry.

Ok what about Honesty, integrity, humility and the rest of the codes. I guess that is only for students and not the actual people running it. My bad and I apologies for even thinking like that.:ultracool

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok what about Honesty, integrity, humility and the rest of the codes. I guess that is only for students and not the actual people running it. My bad and I apologies for even thinking like that.:ultracool

Ah, but never underestimate the degree to which people's beliefs and even memories are molded by the needs of the moment. Looking at the incredibly conflicted history of TKD that we do know about, back in Korea in the years following the Occupation, you'd have to say that those qualities you mentioned were in pretty short supply at times, eh? Not naming any names or pointing any fingers, but... :uhohh:

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, but never underestimate the degree to which people's beliefs and even memories are molded by the needs of the moment. Looking at the incredibly conflicted history of TKD that we do know about, back in Korea in the years following the Occupation, you'd have to say that those qualities you mentioned were in pretty short supply at times, eh? Not naming any names or pointing any fingers, but... :uhohh:

No you would never point or name a name not you exile
icon14.gif

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Oh, and by the way Youngman - none of what I typed was directed at you *personally*. It is all in the spirit of debate, so if I made you angry or if I crossed the line, that was definitely not my intent. Though we disagree, we are still brothers in TKD and I have the utmost respect for you:cheers:.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, and by the way Youngman - none of what I typed was directed at you *personally*. It is all in the spirit of debate, so if I made you angry or if I crossed the line, that was definitely not my intent. Though we disagree, we are still brothers in TKD and I have the utmost respect for you:cheers:.
Very well said :asian:

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
SageGhost,
It's very difficult to make me angry. I always enjoy good debate, even if I don't see eye to eye with the people I'm debating. Yes, in the end we are Taekwondo brothers.

Latest Discussions