tae-kwon-do vs wing chun in non-sport combat?

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you have dragged me far enough into this pointless argument . Again, I'd rather be kicked in the balls then argue this style is better than that. Bla bla bla bla. You won! Congrats! You picked the better art! Knock yourself out homie! Haha!
Just my thoughts, not everyone trains to become a fighter or a badass. Many people go their entire life without fighting, I don't have a problem with that. I don't train MMA and I'll admit that many of those guys could kick my ***, there's nothing wrong with that. You can't beat everyone. Give credit where it's due some styles and arts are better at making fighters. One can say MMA is a sport for the ring in an effort to discredit those that don't do what you do or you can admit that some are in fact better and be secure that it's not for you. Surprised no one called me out on my glaring typo (wrote deficate instead of dedicate, haha).

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just my thoughts, not everyone trains to become a fighter or a badass. Many people go their entire life without fighting, I don't have a problem with that. I don't train MMA and I'll admit that many of those guys could kick my ***, there's nothing wrong with that. You can't beat everyone. Give credit where it's due some styles and arts are better at making fighters. One can say MMA is a sport for the ring in an effort to discredit those that don't do what you do or you can admit that some are in fact better and be secure that it's not for you. Surprised no one called me out on my glaring typo (wrote deficate instead of dedicate, haha).
Most people use Martial arts as a seatbelt. They don't wear the seatbelt cause they're planning on ever getting into an accident. It's just incase. Not everyone wants to be the next Jon Jones. Some people are happy with wearing that seatbelt everyday of there life while they drive in the slow Lane. Nothing wrong with that.

No one here in this post is taking away anything from mma. The OP's question was regarding wing chun vs TKD. I do WC which I like to call chinese boxing cause that's how I was originally taught. One of the best street fighters I've known did TKD as his only art. I'm putting a fork in this. Nothing more I want to say about it.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Most people use Martial arts as a seatbelt. They don't wear the seatbelt cause they're planning on ever getting into an accident. It's just incase. Not everyone wants to be the next Jon Jones. Some people are happy with wearing that seatbelt everyday of there life while they drive in the slow Lane. Nothing wrong with that.

No one here in this post is taking away anything from mma. The OP's question was regarding wing chun vs TKD. I do WC which I like to call chinese boxing cause that's how I was originally taught. One of the best street fighters I've known did TKD as his only art. I'm putting a fork in this. Nothing more I want to say about it.
Don't come back with "well some arts are like a 5 point harness front and side airbags"..lol no seriously I'm done

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tae-Kwon-Do and Wing Chun seem to be the two very popular boards on MT, and I guess they are two of the most popular martial art styles too. They are so different:

Tae-Kwon-Do is a Korean martial art. It focuses on kicks and flexibility.
Wing Chun is a Chinese martial art. It focuses on hand techniques.

I know Tae-Kwon-Do is a competition in the Olympics. But which do you think is better for non-sport combat? I would say Wing Chun.
Tae-Kwon-Do and Wing Chun seem to be the two very popular boards on MT, and I guess they are two of the most popular martial art styles too. They are so different:

Tae-Kwon-Do is a Korean martial art. It focuses on kicks and flexibility.
Wing Chun is a Chinese martial art. It focuses on hand techniques.

I know Tae-Kwon-Do is a competition in the Olympics. But which do you think is better for non-sport combat? I would say Wing Chun.
-------------------------------------

Depends on guts and the quality of the wing chun that is learned.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a common cliche "individual is more important than style" it's friendly and non threatening so people repeat it ad naseum. The individual is certainly a factor but look at a style as a whole. On average how able is an average practitioner when it comes to fighting? Some styles simply more reliably produce dominant fighters and some style are more occupied by out of shape martial arts fanboys.

Marnetmar said:
This is interesting. It seems like with this kind of training, the art you're training as a whole would become better and better over time.

Precisely! That's why some arts are able to consistantly put out black belts that can fight and handle a resisting opponent.
[/QUOTE]
Yea, it is how the individual is trained and how they practice. Boxing is an excellent fighting art but there are many terrible boxers, muay thai is an excellent fighting art but there are many terrible thai boxers. This can be applied to all the arts.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a common cliche "individual is more important than style" it's friendly and non threatening so people repeat it ad naseum. The individual is certainly a factor but look at a style as a whole. On average how able is an average practitioner when it comes to fighting? Some styles simply more reliably produce dominant fighters and some style are more occupied by out of shape martial arts fanboys.

Marnetmar said:
This is interesting. It seems like with this kind of training, the art you're training as a whole would become better and better over time.

[QUOTE="Mephisto] Precisely! That's why some arts are able to consistantly put out black belts that can fight and handle a resisting opponent.
Yea, If the individual is trained and practices properly they will become a good fighter. Boxing is a excellent fighting art and there are many terrible boxers. Muay Thai is an excellent fighting art and there are many terrible Thai Boxers. Same could be said of any art. There will be some excellent some terrible individuals and everything in-between.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hadn't read this thread until today. I don't fancy the this vs that argument. But this thread has some good stuff in it. Made my head hurt thinking about some of it, made me smile, too. I have to read the whole thing again (because I'm too stupid to use the multi quote thingy) and get back to it and chat with you guys.

ALEX WHITE

White Belt
Reaction score
wing chun is my art, I have versed many tkd practitioners, all but one I have defeated, the one I haven't defeated goes by the name of don, he trains at Toronto's main center for TKD, and has met Grandmaster Kaputo as well is mostly trained by him, I believe it is the practitioner, also considering that he trains to the point of spraining his thumbs (6 times + for each thumb) just to do thumb push ups and conditioning his knuckles until they bleed. he is also trained in 23 or more arts and is extremely dedicated as well as deadly for a 5'4 man, don's also my good school friend

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea, If the individual is trained and practices properly they will become a good fighter. Boxing is a excellent fighting art and there are many terrible boxers. Muay Thai is an excellent fighting art and there are many terrible Thai Boxers. Same could be said of any art. There will be some excellent some terrible individuals and everything in-between.
There's no debate that skill varies among individuals. But looking at systems as a whole using the example of boxing and wc, You'll find a lot more boxers that can apply their craft in a fight or sparring situation. You'll find a lot moe judoka than aikidoka that can grapple and handle resisting opponents. All of the above arts have value but if you want to learn how to defeat resisting opponents and attackers some arts provide more demonstratable evidence of their skill. That's why I say the art is more important than the individual, if you train with resisting opponents regularly you'll be better prepared for reality. If the majority of people in a system can't demonstrate their skill on a resisting partner than that art is not as valuable as one that does. The individual>art argument is a martial arts pop culture saying that shows a lack of insight and is a misguided attempt to be fair and non confrontational.
wing chun is my art, I have versed many tkd practitioners, all but one I have defeated, the one I haven't defeated goes by the name of don, he trains at Toronto's main center for TKD, and has met Grandmaster Kaputo as well is mostly trained by him, I believe it is the practitioner, also considering that he trains to the point of spraining his thumbs (6 times + for each thumb) just to do thumb push ups and conditioning his knuckles until they bleed. he is also trained in 23 or more arts and is extremely dedicated as well as deadly for a 5'4 man, don's also my good school friend

Hiw have you defeated these practitioners? In competition? Who decided you won?

ALEX WHITE

White Belt
Reaction score
There's no debate that skill varies among individuals. But looking at systems as a whole using the example of boxing and wc, You'll find a lot more boxers that can apply their craft in a fight or sparring situation. You'll find a lot moe judoka than aikidoka that can grapple and handle resisting opponents. All of the above arts have value but if you want to learn how to defeat resisting opponents and attackers some arts provide more demonstratable evidence of their skill. That's why I say the art is more important than the individual, if you train with resisting opponents regularly you'll be better prepared for reality. If the majority of people in a system can't demonstrate their skill on a resisting partner than that art is not as valuable as one that does. The individual>art argument is a martial arts pop culture saying that shows a lack of insight and is a misguided attempt to be fair and non confrontational.

the people I versed were matches between friends and I let my friends who have absolutely know clue about arts decide who won. most of these practitioners have three or four years experience, one is a 4th degree black, who I found quite hard until I closed the gap, but belts mean nothing, considering don declines all of his tests perennially, he would have been black or higher if he din't decline the tests

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
the people I versed were matches between friends and I let my friends who have absolutely know clue about arts decide who won. most of these practitioners have three or four years experience, one is a 4th degree black, who I found quite hard until I closed the gap, but belts mean nothing, considering don declines all of his tests perennially, he would have been black or higher if he din't decline the tests
Cool, good for you for testing yourself!

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ultimately it depends on the practitioner. But if we will go by the saying that you react by the way you train, taekwondo particularly wtf taekwondo may suffer a bit when it comes to an exchange of techniques with a wing chun guy. WTF practitioners generally practice the sport version of the art. And when it comes to self defense that is very lacking. Unless the wtf guy gets a full on power kick to your head like dwi hooryo chagi or naeryo chagi to your nose... That would be a very unpleasant experience and would often guarantee the end of a fight.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score

Ummm.. So the art is more important than the artist? Let's use your boxing vs WC example. What if both arts train using the same methods? Like against resisting opponents? Like sparring in all ranges? That's how I train. I don't mind eating shots. I have sparred boxers. So is boxing just better?

Maybe? Maybe not? Depends on who's using it! Same goes for Wing Chun!

PS: Confrontation is my middle name..haha! Check my post history and with people who know me on here personally. I'm working on being nicer and less confrontational. It's my New Years resolution.

Last edited:

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
" All of the above arts have value but if you want to learn how to defeat resisting opponents and attackers some arts provide more demonstratable evidence of their skill"
----------------------------------------------------
No you just train to defeat resisting opponents. It's just that simple.

Kwan Sau

Purple Belt
Reaction score
WTF practitioners generally practice the sport version of the art. And when it comes to self defense that is very lacking.

True. Same goes for WC.
Sadly, not all versions or how they are trained are trained for practical self defense reasons.
There are a lot of highly commercialized kwoons out there that focus more on the flowery stuff...

I can appreciate your comment as I once had an altercation with a serious practitioner of a kicking art like TKD. His leg skill was impressive and formidable.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ultimately it depends on the practitioner. But if we will go by the saying that you react by the way you train, taekwondo particularly wtf taekwondo may suffer a bit when it comes to an exchange of techniques with a wing chun guy. WTF practitioners generally practice the sport version of the art. And when it comes to self defense that is very lacking. Unless the wtf guy gets a full on power kick to your head like dwi hooryo chagi or naeryo chagi to your nose... That would be a very unpleasant experience and would often guarantee the end of a fight.

Well, since there IS no such thing as "WTF Taekwondo"....
The WTF is a sports governing organization. They set no curriculum. They award no rank. They sponsor and oversee tournies. That is all.

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well, since there IS no such thing as "WTF Taekwondo"....
The WTF is a sports governing organization. They set no curriculum. They award no rank. They sponsor and oversee tournies. That is all.
You are correct I stand corrected it should be kukki taekwondo.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
" All of the above arts have value but if you want to learn how to defeat resisting opponents and attackers some arts provide more demonstratable evidence of their skill"
----------------------------------------------------
No you just train to defeat resisting opponents. It's just that simple.

And what do you think a random attacker will be doing on the street?

Latest Discussions