Tae Kwon Do self defense clip

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Dont get me wrong, i dont think you SHOULD need 10 moves to drop someone, but i know you MIGHT need 10 moves to drop someone.

I bounced for a few years and some guys can just take monster hits and keep comming. Now the average person? chop them in the throat and they will drop. But then again,the average person wont attack you..... and we dont train to deal with the average person.

And I know what you are saying, when you see kenpo demo's, the attacker usually just stands there, but when i was studying it, when we learned the techniques, the attackers moved and reacted, otherwise, alot of what you see doesnt make sense, since the techniques are built around striking open targets, which opens other targets, which sets up new open targets.

And I dont want to get into a TKD vs Kenpo thread, so to get back on track, I agree with most here that no, the guy in the clip isnt doing TKD

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kacey,
I dont mean one or two particular techniques, I mean a one or two move combination.

kenpo teaches 4,5,6,7,10 move combinations.

I have never, in 24 years, seen a TKD stylist that throws more than 2-3 shot combos. because they rely on power. And I have been to Korea, I have seen how they do it, and all across america.

TKD doesnt flow. Shotokan doesnt flow. and we all know where TKD came from................

it can be taught that way, thats what i am doing, but if i change mine much more, it will stop being tkd

As I said... different experiences lead to different interpretations. Perhaps that's not what you've seen - but I've seen different things, and they do not make my TKD into something else. I guess we've just seen different things. Most of my experience has been with the ITF; perhaps that's the difference, as the ITF does not do Olympic style sparring.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And I dont want to get into a TKD vs Kenpo thread, so to get back on track, I agree with most here that no, the guy in the clip isnt doing TKD

Twin,

On the contrary, I wish there was a Kenpo class near me. I'd love to train in it. You will get no arugment from me a good Kenpo pratitioner cannot handle themselves. I have no doubt they can.

And guys, I've seen TKD practitioners do 10 move one step sparring techniques. Seen others do self defense where they do all kinds of fancy stuff if grabbed (stuff I really on the street don't think will work so well with someone really POed off with you.)

I know as we advance in skill, we like to kind of jazz up things to show how skillful we are but I feel it's kind of overdone now and then.

Deaf

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Unlike Kenpo, I don't feel the guy will react in specific ways to specific strikes. A back fist to the jaw may invoke many different responses depending on the size, strength, training, etc.. of the other guy.

Right, I would agree. These motions have the look of the Kenpo, but, the American Kenpo that I had a chance to have a taste of taught specific combinations, handed down by Ed Parker.

They work!

They produce the reactions in the opponent (uke, dummy, whatever you may call the guy). You can see in various videos of some American Kenpo seminars (I have never been to one myself) how the Teacher can hit the uke with enough power to produce the reactions, to demonstrate. The uke knows he is going to get hit, but will not be injured, but he will be hit, hard enough to make him move involuntarily in this way.

American Kenpo can be a meat grinder -- once one is caught up into that meat grinder, he will be hit MANY TIMES! A bewildering barrage of strikes. I myself do not see such "minor strikes" in the TKD. The way I was taught the TKD, each strike is meant to put big power onto the opponent, but this is not so with American Kenpo as I understand it.

This is not meant to be antangonistic. You see, I was able to learn some American Kenpo, up to the blue belt from a Good Teacher. And, if there was an American Kenpo School with many students in my city, I would be thinking quite hard about joining it. It may be many things, but to my mind, it is terribly effective. I am not speaking badly about TKD when I say this.

Now, if someone wishes to learn the Kenpo, why would they not study the true, tested, honoured curriculum, like the American Kenpo. I would think they would learn the combinations of Ed Parker, his forms. He has given this to the world.

I cannot judge this video, but it is confusing! Yes, American Kenpo -- it has such good combinations! I have even thought of asking the Kenpo people to recommend the video instructional tapes. I have friends who understand combatives enough to "fill in the blanks" and expand on them. It is good to study this -- I have seen it! Once a student was stupid enough to say, "Oh, that would not work, that reaction there is not going to work."

Well, it DID work alright -- and the student FELT it work!!! This was an Okinawan type of Kenpo, and there was a High Ranking Teacher of some sort there (I cannot say his rank, but he was perhaps a GM) -- yes, haha, yes, indeed it worked! As advertised!

:mst:

Latest Discussions