tae bo, tkd dance, now anti bullying....

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I hate fads. It seems that since rener and ryron released their new series, which was very well written(and not by them), that is all I see. Flyers and signs everywhere! How many of the new anti bullying "experts" have actually studied child psycology?
Just like other fads most have either done a seminar or watched a video and are now trying to teach something they know very little about. Stick to teaching what you know or go to college and learn about child pyscology, get a degree and then you can try to understand why billy bullies others.

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, the anti bullying is not new.

I remember when my kid made green belt, about 7 or so years ago, they had a big camp with lots of different courses.
One of them was 'how to deal with bullies'

It was not magic, by all means.

Do not engage, involve authorities (teachers) and only if it is escalated from there (not by you) use minimal force to get away (like a nice push to the base of the nose, not a punch)

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Its all the rage here. Never saw a sign or heard of it till about 6 months ago. Now all of the loca karate/kung fu/tsd/tkd schools are trying to teach dbl leg take downs and mount control.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Could you tell us a little more about what it is? I haven't heard off it before.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its all the rage here. Never saw a sign or heard of it till about 6 months ago. Now all of the loca karate/kung fu/tsd/tkd schools are trying to teach dbl leg take downs and mount control.

I don't doubt it one bit. (and I have to say that the anti-bullying thing didn't not play into things after that camp either...but then again that was the last camp they held, too)

Sadly there is a tendency to cash in on these things.
The bug repellents carry a note about West Nile Disease....though it seems it has long since left the media as epidemic of the season...

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could you tell us a little more about what it is? I haven't heard off it before.

It's a program for teaching Gracie Jiu-Jitsu to children by their parents. So effectively a home study course for kids but teaching the parents how to teach/help their kids. It is actually really fun (both my two kids love it). They cover the very basics of GJJ from a playing point of view for younger kids, then on to Junior Combatives (their main GJJ course for adults is called Gracie Combatives).

There's a section on how to stop being bullied (rules for how to respond to bullies) and stop people abducting them.

All in all very good and good fun.

Both my kids are going to be learning Taekwondo (my son is an 8th Kup at the moment, my daughter starts in a few months, properly, when she turns 6) but as they say in the UFC "you gotta have a ground game".

I'll be honest though, I don't know if I'd be as in to it if I wasn't learning BJJ myself...

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anti-bully is the new market niche to drive kids into the dojang. My opinion is that martial arts has always taught anti-bullying techniques. We just never placed a cool name to it.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anti-bully is the new market niche to drive kids into the dojang. My opinion is that martial arts has always taught anti-bullying techniques. We just never placed a cool name to it.

The chief instructor at my dojang is also a certified Gracie Combatives instructor and teaches the Bully-Proof classes. I agree that it's totally a marketing niche right now with the popularity of BJJ right now. Not that I'm against it at all, but I do disagree with having it as a seperate option. It should be rolled into the regular classes. I remember when I first started out studying martial arts back in the 80's it seemed like the self-defense aspect was pushed alot heavier, there were alot of classes where that was all we did was work on self defense tech.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Give me the tkd taebo anti bullying dance and I'm THERE :D

Actually the anti-bullying classes have been in my areas for awhile and the 2 my daugher went to were not bad but they also were not pushing an MA response either

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that they are bad, quite the opposite. I just think that an online course or learning some techniques at a weekend seminar shoud not qualify someone as a "certified" instructor. Teach what you know. Unless a tkd instructor has studied for more than 5 years(bjj/wrestling/sambo/judo), he/she has no business teaching a dbl leg takedown and mount control.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tactics aside, most "anti-bullying" programs teach the same mental/verbal skills. The style I have been involved with for over 15 yrs has always taught an "anti-bully" aspect in their juniors class, right alongside dealing with strangers and other kid appropriate topics.

Just most didn't put a big name to it and charge lots of money for it in marketing.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think we should all be happy that the "anti-bullying" classes/groups are taking place of the Stranger Danger program. At least they are learning that the bad guys are not hiding behond trees and wearing trenchcoats with wide brim hats.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think we should all be happy that the "anti-bullying" classes/groups are taking place of the Stranger Danger program. At least they are learning that the bad guys are not hiding behond trees and wearing trenchcoats with wide brim hats.

You got that right!

Latest Discussions