Still looking

N

noonesfool

I am still looking for a good school for Tae Kwon or something else.
I left Kung Fu after the guy started asking for way to much money.
I went to a Kenpo place for 2 weeks as suggested but they taught mixed arts.
I could not tell what was Kenpo and what was not so I left after I said I wanted something not mixed.
I found a guy that teaches the 7 animal forms of Kung Fu through my local college so it's very cheap but it's only once a week.
It seems everyone in my area that teaches Kenpo teaches Philipino and various arts together.
Thats nice to look cool but confusing for practical use on a daily basis.
I do not have alot of options for Tae Kwon Do since every school in the area is a chain school.
I'm getting burned now by one so I do not want to get back into one.
I like Kung Fu but there are like 2 schools here and not really caring if you learn or not.
This guy from the college is good there is no money involved really and no ranks,etc.
If you do it wrong the guy says hey you suck and then clean it up.
I'm still stuck at the Tae Kwon Do school from hell because I have to pay until this winter.
I paid the dork 3 months ago for my sparring gear and have yet to get it all I get is it's coming this week.
The college only allows certified instructors to teach on campus so I took another self defense course.
This guy has certifications in 6 martial arts so he teaches Kenpo,etc.
This dude is a dork to the core and confusing he is like this is from Philipino arts,this is from karate,this is tae kwon do,etc.
The course was for on description Kenpo/Jujutsu not 95 million arts.
People who have never trained think he is cool and they are powerful now because they listened to him.
One guy was like I can kill you now kung fu man with an arm bar type move.
I knocked him straight on his butt inside of 2 seconds and he still has the attitude the guy teaches.
The dojang from hell is better than this crap anyday but I will keep looking for the good school in town.
Upon further analysis of the dojang from hell I saw a new black belt was not taught basic jump side kicks.
The third dan still has a glass leg and does turning kicks like a old man.
I cleaned mine up by asking the Kung Fu guy proper methods for doing the kicks.
The dojang from hell shows me something,I ask cheap kung fu man then it all works out.
The master of the dojang found out I do kung fu at college and demanded I quit on the spot or toss me out.
I was like please do sir because I won't quit and it never came.
I am a green belt and have to fight black belts in sparring always.
They are vicious with me like trying to kick me in the face,etc.
I am not shown much TKD so I have to resort to using kung fu to keep from being hurt badly.
They then complain to the master about it then I get in trouble for it.
What is the normal range of kicks a yellow-green belt should have in TKD?
I got in trouble for using TKD kicks in a white crane form with the standing on one foot and striking repeatedly.
I watched other guys do it in TKD and thought it was standard practice.
I am not trying to mix the arts up but that is all I have to keep from getting hurt badly.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
The dojang you're in now really does sound like the dojang from hell. You should demand that the bastard give you back your money and let you quit. No competent teacher would ever tell a student not to use a technique that they've been using succesfully unless it was harming another student. If he ever refuses to train you, but won't refund your money, you should consult a lawyer (your college might have free legal counsel), because you would have a pretty decent chance of getting your money back through small claims.

There's nothing wrong with mixing up techniques from different arts, so long as its safe for your training partners. A teacher who tells you otherwise deserves a boot to the groin.

For now, you should definitely stick with cheap kung-fu guy, and should train with him more often if the opportunity presents itself.

For us to recommend a better dojang to you, we would need to know where you're located.

OP
N

noonesfool

Check this out guys....I had to purchase "school" sparring gear from them. I wanted to buy my own online at a better price.
I ran it past the master and he said I could buy it but I could'nt use it in class or testing.
Now check this out it was the same gear as used in class except it did not have the school name on it.
I had to pay $30 more to the school and I still have yet to get it.
One guy told me the dude that owns the school ripped a dudes gear up because it was not his at testing.
I also heard a guy came to our school from a Japanese dicipline and he put the emblem of his art on his uniform to pay tribute I guess.
I heard the dude that owns the school ripped his uniform off his back and threw him out.
I do not like the way this man does his students that are interested in self defense.
I heard the school is to large for him to run now so I am wondering if that is the problem.
Here is the catch 22 I am getting from the pr***ck that is stealing my cash.
He only teaches self defense to higher rank students so it's not that he does'nt teach supposedly but that I am not ready for it.
What self defense I did see was weak like turning your chin to slip a lock.
I then taught what I picked up from kung fu and the dude tells on me and I get in trouble again.
I am being constantly told that I am not diciplined because I use other stuff to fight a 3rd degree black belt.
I have never hurt any of them with it except when they get mad because I am blocking all their kicks and open up head shots.
I have no gear so I am fighting people that are sufficiently padded.
I have to use this old used dirty sh***t because they have not given me any and I often refuse.
People just tell me to give up and buy a gun but you can not carry a gun everywhere with you.
I should'nt have to give up anything because people lie alot.
What school makes a color belt spar black belts anyhow? that is other than mine.

OP
D

Disco

That's what it's called, when they keep going back to a bad situation.

If your looking for advice, here it is........... Stay away from that school, PERIOD! end of discussion, no further comment needed. Go talk to the Kung Fu guy and see if you can get some additional time for training.

If you insist on going back to the school from hell, you'll get what you deserve. Just don't feel like you have to keep an ongoing dialog about it You've got control over the situation, use it.
:asian:

OP
N

noonesfool

I am not a battered anyone here and simply warning others of an unregulated business.
Maybe a newbie will stop by say that sounds like it's bad let me do some research here.
Maybe someone such as myself looks here and gets an idea of a bad school not knowing it's bad.
I have to pay for this crap for 1 year which means if I don't then I am sued and my credit goes to crap.
It appears there are more crap schools than reputable ones around the world.
Noones regulates this business so it's up to us to exchange experiences and warning flags so we all know better next time.
I only go once a week because I am to pay or be sued that simple.
Maybe a crappy instructor hangs around here and will think twice when they see people talking openly.
I see new white belts come in and I can get to them first and say run before they sign on the line.
If I stop going then I will not be able to claim reimbursement because I quit coming and then I loose the money for my gear.
I am learning more about bad schools just by being there and seeing more and more markers.
I talk to people at school and they do MA and we talk about all the flags.
Maybe after I see how bad people are getting rammed I can judge on the spot just by looking at a few minutes of class what is wrong.
I am compliling a report for business law class on the martials arts schools and possibe legislations to introduce to combat this form of theft.
Nothing changes unless people like us talk in the open about things like this.
There is also a situation for what you propose called being raped and not talking or standing up for yourself.
We need to get some regulation in this business to stop this.
You are probably a martial artist yourself and I would think that hearing of places like this would upset you.
This hurts many people reputable instructors and good people that want to learn like myself.
By posting out in the open not having much experience in the matter gives me an idea of what other more experienced people think about it and some base line for my own benefit.
Much as you proposed if you do not like the discussion feel free not to read it.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
If you're not getting anything for your money, there really isn't any point in going there to be abused.

In answer to your question about sparring upper belts, most quality schools have upper and lower belts spar, but the upper belts are supposed to tone it down. They're responsible for teaching the lower belts how to spar, not how to get whaled on.

OP
T

TKDman

When you go about picking a school you definatly have to ask a lot of questions to find out about the school. There are so many evil businessmen out there with McDojos its not even funny....

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/ has an excellent guide for finding schools.

OP
M

MartialArtist

This person is obviously a troll... Isn't he a member of McDojo.com?

OP
R

RCastillo

Go with the ITF . I think you'll find what you want in TKD.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You do not have to pay for that crap for a year, regardless of what they made you sign. They are not delivering the promised instruction, and they are running a dangerous studio where someone could get seriously injured. Take some of the money you would pay that fool, walk into a lawyer's office with that contract, and have that lawyer write a letter to the owner of the school stating that you do not feel you're getting the instruction you were promised, that you feel he runs a dangerous school, and that if he doesn't release you from the contract, you are gonna sue him! I believe there is a gentleman on this site who deals in martial arts law. You may want to shoot him a PM. Let me know if you need his name and I'll find out for you.

Best of Luck!

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by nightingale8472
You do not have to pay for that crap for a year, regardless of what they made you sign. They are not delivering the promised instruction, and they are running a dangerous studio where someone could get seriously injured. Take some of the money you would pay that fool, walk into a lawyer's office with that contract, and have that lawyer write a letter to the owner of the school stating that you do not feel you're getting the instruction you were promised, that you feel he runs a dangerous school, and that if he doesn't release you from the contract, you are gonna sue him! I believe there is a gentleman on this site who deals in martial arts law. You may want to shoot him a PM. Let me know if you need his name and I'll find out for you.

Best of Luck!

You need a Hachet"Person". I think "Nightengale8472 is the right person for the job!:samurai: