knifefoot

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
just wondering how many schools practice a knife foot kick...haven't seen it on the board yet...maybe it goes by a different name...

basically...start left foot forward, bring your right knee up and have the leg cross in front of the left one...almost like for a twist kick i guess...then the rest of the action is all hips you throw it out like snap side kick...hitting with knife edge of the foot...

the action is almost identical to a snap side kick...just executed forward...instead of to the side

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that was a kick that we didn't practice. But it sounds like an inside crescent kick to me. I guess we make terminology alot more condensed than most. Back leg crescent, front leg crescent--outside and inside on both. TW

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hmm...it's not a crescent kick...it's a straight line action...

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, I get it now after re-reading it. Doesn't seem as strong a striking area on the foot as the heel nor can you get your hip into it like the side kick. What area of the body are you going for - the arms or legs? TW

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
no..it's not the strongest kick...but it's very fast...the normal striking area is the midsection...bladder, maybe the short ribs...

we also do a 360, jump spinning version...that one does pack some power

T

TKD USA

It seems like you are describing a step side kick with the edge of your foot

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think there is a step in it. Just chamber, bring your back leg up, knee over the left leg, and kick forward. It is like a twist kick from what is described. Correct me if I'm wrong now, bignick. TW

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
yes...much like a twist kick...but just a different striking surface

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
We just call that a sidekick with the "knife edge" of the foot. And we're taught not to do that. You can get by with this kind of side kick, but if you want real bone-crunching power, kicking with the bottom of the heel is the way to go.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like a verticle kick with the footsword. There's also a variation with the reverse foot sword. Basically, chamber out wide, then use the hips to generate the power. Using a heel for that's pretty much impossible. Looks closest to a crescent kick except there's no arc and the striking tool is different.

Not an especially weak kick when done right. Ideal target's the shoulder, and if you hit it just so, it has been known to result in shoulder dislocations.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Sounds like a verticle kick with the footsword. There's also a variation with the reverse foot sword. Basically, chamber out wide, then use the hips to generate the power. Using a heel for that's pretty much impossible. Looks closest to a crescent kick except there's no arc and the striking tool is different.

That sounds like a different kick than what bignick described. (Footsword? Are you tryin' to slip one of those newfangled Kenpo terms in there? :) )

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Marginal said:

Not an especially weak kick when done right. Ideal target's the shoulder, and if you hit it just so, it has been known to result in shoulder dislocations.
actually...i think marginal nailed it on the head...figured there was somebody out there practicing this kick...just didn't know what other people were calling it...

and no it's not a "weak" kick...it's just not the strongest in my arsenal

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zepp said:
That sounds like a different kick than what bignick described. (Footsword? Are you tryin' to slip one of those newfangled Kenpo terms in there? :) )

Nah, that's the term for the outside bone connecting to your heel as the TKD Encyclopedia describes it. Not new to TKD by decades. ;)

As I said though, there are two variations. The footsword version goes from in to out (the "twisting kick motion"), the reverse footsword goes from out to in, which is the one I described. Looks similar to the kick that broke the helmet of the loutish football player in the Perfect Weapon. (Since you did mention Kenpo and all...) Just more of a straight line with the foot tensed to encourage the bones on either side of the foot (depending on which FS you're attacking with) to make contact rather than the sole of the foot as in a crescent kick.

Works best against someone who's side facing. Abdomen, ribs, temple and shoulder are perfectly viable targets from there.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, if you going to the head, it becomes an inside crescent kick and that is exactly how we do that. We use the outside edge of the foot for crescent not the "sole".

From what bignick described it doesn't go "vertical". The back leg/knee is brought up chambered, is a twist, and straight horizontal kick, like a sidekick but strikes with the outside edge of the foot to the midsection.TW

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Marginal said:
Nah, that's the term for the outside bone connecting to your heel as the TKD Encyclopedia describes it. Not new to TKD by decades. ;)

Is that that TKD Encyclopedia that General Choi wrote? I should probably take a look at thing at some point.

Well, I guess I didn't really understand bignick's description, but you and I seem to also have different terms for the some of the same kicks Marginal. What you've described as a footsword, and reverse footsword, are what I'm used to calling an outside crescent kick and an inside crescent kick.

I'm not sure what kind of "crescent" kick impacts with the sole of the foot.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do all my side kicks with the blade of the heal of my foot. Sounds like a side kick, but very confusing explanation

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sorry bout the explanation...it's very hard to put action in words...wish i could put up a video or something....

trust me...it's not a side kick...it's executed to a target standing in front of you...

not to sound arrogant...but i know the difference between a snap side kick and a thrust side kick...and this isn't either, and it's not a crescent kick

it's not that big of deal...just wondering if anyone else did this kick

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Is that that TKD Encyclopedia that General Choi wrote? I should probably take a look at thing at some point.

Well, I guess I didn't really understand bignick's description, but you and I seem to also have different terms for the some of the same kicks Marginal. What you've described as a footsword, and reverse footsword, are what I'm used to calling an outside crescent kick and an inside crescent kick.

I'm not sure what kind of "crescent" kick impacts with the sole of the foot.

I guess we both agree that Marginal seems to be describing an inside crescent kick (high kick) with the edge of the foot. That's what we do and it is called a crescent.

About what bigfoot is describing, from what I understand, it doesn't go vertical it chambers over the left leg and goes straight forward to the midsection in a twist motion. I would think that the left leg has to turn 90° to make it more comfortable and to get the knee up in the right position and for stability. Thanks, bignick, I will try that one and bring it up in class---he should "love" for that, huh? He doesn't teach it, probably for a reason. So I will find out..... TW

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
sounds good...that's what so great about the board...we've all got our differences...for instance my school doesn't teach twist kick...at least not that i've seen