Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone got any good Sukiyaki recipes?

Been playing with a couple I found online, but I don't know how "legit" they are.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found this one is pretty close to what I recall having years ago:

ingredients
Sauce:

* 1/2 cup soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 cup soup stock
* 1/4 cup mirin
* 1 pound thinly sliced beef meat
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 medium onions, sliced
* 4 ounces yam noodles (shirataki)
* 1 cup sliced bamboo shoots
* 2 stalks celery, sliced
* 1 cup soaked, rinsed and sliced shiitakes
* 1 cube tofu, cut into 1-inch pieces
* 1 bunch green onions, cut into 2-inch lengths
* 2 leaves Napa cabbage, sliced
* 2 tablespoons oil

Directions

Mix soy sauce, sugar, stock, and mirin together in a bowl. Arrange meat and vegetables on a large platter. Heat an electric skillet to 375 degrees F.

Add oil to the skillet and heat. Brown meat in the oil, adding sugar slowly. Move the meat to the corner of the skillet when well browned. Add other vegetables, keeping each separate. Add sauce and cover. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Uncover and turn all ingredients while cooking 2 minutes more. Serve on small plates.

I used about 2oz of cellophane and 2 oz fresh ramen instead of the 4 ounces yam noodles (shirataki). Worked quite well. I also increased the cabbage and mushrooms in the mix.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah but Shirataki (yam noodles) have ZERO CALORIES!! :D :D

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd have to have had em in stock. :D

JohnASE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Your recipe sounds pretty much like what my mom used to make. She probably learned it from her mom who was a Japanese American born in Hawaii. Our family would sit around the dinner table with sukiyaki cooking in an electric skillet in the middle. We would pull our own food from the skillet rather than have it served, kind of like shabu shabu, I guess.

We usually used udon noodles instead of yam noodles. I'm not a big fan of napa, so we also tossed in some spinach. We couldn't get shitakes back then, but we were happy with regular mushrooms.

We used a bowl rather than a plate. There's a lot of liquid involved. Sometimes, we'd serve it over rice. Now that I think about it, back in the day, we would put a raw egg in the bowl before the hot food. The food would come out of the bowl dripping in egg, little of which was cooked. This was back when Rocky Balboa was still drinking raw eggs out of a glass!

Good stuff.

Latest Discussions