Beef Bowl

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Beef bowl, is a Japanese dish consisting of a bowl of rice topped with beef and onion simmered in a mildly sweet sauce flavored with soy sauce and mirin. I got curious about this dish due to being in the middle of a 3 month Urusei Yatsura marathon. So, I went on a hunt for a recipe to try.

I found this recipe, and it's pretty easy to make and tastes pretty good.

Ingredients:

• 4 cups steamed Japanese rice
  • 1 pound thinly sliced beef
  • 1 onion
  • 1 1/3 cup dashi soup
  • 5 tbsps soy sauce
  • 3 tbsps mirin
  • 2 tbsps sugar
  • 1 tsp sake
  • *benishoga (red ginger) for topping
Preparation:

Cook Japanese rice. Slice onion thinly. Cut beef into bite-sized pieces. Put dashi, soysauce, sugar, mirin, and sake in a pan. Add onion slices in the pot and simmer for a few minutes. Add beef in the pan and simmer for a few minutes. Serve hot steamed rice in a deep rice bowl. Put the beef topping on the top of rice. Place some benishoga (red ginger) on the top if you would like.

I skipped the ginger, and used a quality beef stock instead of the dashi. I added some shitake mushrooms to the mix as I had them on hand.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The sauce is on the sweet/salty side, but I like it. The thinner you cut the beef, the better, paper thin is best I hear. I've found that a partially thawed, still somewhat frozen piece lets me cut it very thin.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't comment on the Korean side...I can only say that I loves me a good beef bowl. Couldn't get enough of them when I was over there. :D

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bulgogi is made from thin slices of sirloin or other prime cut of beef. The meat is marinated with a mixture of soya sauce, sugar, sesame oil, garlic and other ingredients such as scallions or mushrooms, especially white button mushrooms or shiitake. Sometimes, cellophane noodles are added to the dish, which varies by region and specific recipe. Before cooking, the meat is marinated to enhance its flavor and tenderness.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgogi

Gyūdon (牛丼), often literally translated into English as beef bowl, is a Japanese dish consisting of a bowl of rice topped with beef and onion simmered in a mildly sweet sauce flavored with soy sauce and mirin. It also often includes shirataki. A very popular food in Japan, it is commonly served with beni shoga (pickled ginger), shichimi, and a side dish of miso soup. Gyū means "cow" or "beef", and don is short for donburi, the Japanese word for "bowl".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beef_bowl

There are some similarities, but the prep and cooking is different.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
you might like a good daikon stew:

one large diakon, chopped into bite-size pieces (6-8 cups)
2 yellow or white onions (4 cups)
2 pounds of pork
soy sauce
mirin
roasted sesame oil

this is not an exact recipe...

what kind of pork? good question. I have used: pigs feet, ham hocks (smoked and raw), and pork shoulder, and all are good. It nereds to be a fatty cut so you can get the gelatin after long stewing.

start by brownign the daikon and pork in a little vegetable oil, just to get some color on them. Add the onion and sautee for a short time, just until soft.

cover with a mixtrure of water, soy and mirin, and a tablespoon or so of the sesame oil. Be GENTLE with the soy and mirin, it should be a little weak at first.

You are going to simmer this stew for a few hours, until the daikon goes translucent and soft. You will need to add more liquid as you go along, be light handed with the soy and mirin, as the stew cooks down the flavors will concentrate and if you add too much early it will be too strong later.

Once the daikon is ready, stop adding liquid and continue cooking until the stew cooks down into a thick saucy "gelatin". The onion will be mostly disappeared, the pork will be falling apart and the daikon will be soft and meaty.

This goes great over rice.

I think 2 hours is about the right amount of time but sometimes 3 is needed...

The daikon will funk up your kitchen for a lot of the time. It lets off a real sulfery smell but by the end that is all gone and it tastes nothing like it smells at the halfway point LOL.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Bob,

Sounds great. I may have had that dish or one like it last time I was over in Japan. Definitely I need to start cooking some Japanese dishes myself. Oh and being a bulgogi fanatic I think the two dishes are rather different.
icon6.gif

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I like this one:[/FONT]

Dotenabe (oyster, miso hotpot)[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DOTENABE (oyster, miso hotpot)[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DOTENABE (oyster, miso hotpot)[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INGREDIENTS[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 cup of red miso
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 pound of fresh shelled oysters
3 inch piece of daikon, cut into rounds 1/2 inch thick and parboiled
2 Chinese cabbage leafs, cut into 1 1/2 inch strips
3 or 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms
1 carrot, cut into 1/4 inch slices and parboiled
1 small potato, cut into quarters and parboiled
1/2 block of deep fried tofu (or 1 whole block if not using oysters)
1/2 block of konnyaku, cut into large cubes (optional)
1 hardboiled egg, sliced in half
2 sprigs of fresh chrysanthemum leaves, or one small leek cut
into 2 inch lengths
2 1/2 tablespoons of sake
6 cups of dash
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][/FONT]
Method

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Line the inner rim of a medium sized donabe pot with an inch wide layer of miso. Place the vegetables into the pot along with the konnyaku, and the tofu. Pour in the dashi (and sake!) until it reaches, but does not fully cover the miso layer. Turn the heat on low under the donabe, cover and allow to simmer for almost half an hour (during this time the miso will melt into the broth and mix with the ingredients). Serve by placing ingredients in a small bowl, ladle some of the hot broth into the bowl, and top with a hardboiled egg slice.[/FONT]​

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dang it. You guys are making me hungry and I already live here. I`ll have to see if I can put up recipes for katsudon or nikujaga. I`m lucky enough that my wife is an amazing cook, but unfortunately I only get to see her on weekends.

Latest Discussions