Suing to get Engagement Rings Back

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rings worth 8,900.00, 25,000.00 and even up to 48,000.00 are a great way to say how much a man loves a woman and wants to marry her and bla bla bla and all of that...
But break the engagement off and well... shouldn't the right thing for the girl to do is to give the ring back?? Or maybe the guy should just buy a cheaper ring so he doesn't take that much of a loss when she refuses to do so?

Check out these stories and see...

First hearing about this story my thoughts are... hell yeah give it back! The Ring IS an conditional gift... albeit an unspoken condition but one that is understood.
Second thoughts include... if he breaks off or cheats on her then she has the option of keeping it but if she breaks it off or cheats on him ... then yeah he gets it back...
The ring of course is a lot more than the sum of it's face value. It does in a materialistic way testify as to how much a guy loves the gal. But it's not always true. I've seen gals just happy to be engaged and with a *ahem* very inexpensive ring. But even that should be returned if the engagement is off.

Guys and gals on MT speak up... your thoughts!? Should the woman give back the ring if the engagement is off... what about in cases of infidelity (although they're not exactly married, yet)... ?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The ring is, traditionally, a contract. It comes with a question and a promise.

I would unquestionably return the ring - don't care how valuable.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

That is my take and the way it should be handled.
icon6.gif

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Even if it were something like.... THIS??
World's most expensive engagement ring...

...rests on the fourth phalange of Melania Trump. The 12 carat emerald-cut diamond ring is valued at somewhere between $480,000, according to Diamond Cutters International, and $2 million, according to the tabloids.

Uh-huh... that's what I thought... :lol:

(just kidding)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

...rests on the fourth phalange of Melania Trump. The 12 carat emerald-cut diamond ring is valued at somewhere between $480,000, according to Diamond Cutters International, and $2 million, according to the tabloids.

(just kidding)

Boy but is that one ugly looking ring!
icon6.gif

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

What she said....

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know of a girl that "collects" engagement rings. To her it is some kind of game to get the guy to propose and then she dumps him and keeps the ring. I think she is up to around 3 rings now.

I have heard of lawsuits as well because the courts consider an engagement a verbal contract that was broken and in some cases will award damages.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well now, I think I should clarify and expand my response.

If an engagement is broken before marriage then I think the ring should be returned. Once wed, however, I think the rings become the property of the wearer.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

(just kidding)

Yup - even that one ... before the wedding, though. ;)

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i read somewhere that the custom of the engagement ring was started as a way of compensating for the loss of her value as a virgin, since it was accepted that enagaged couples would have sex.

that way, if the engagement was broken off, she was less "valauable" as a bride, but had something of finite value to make up for it.

sort of a deposit.

sounds insane to me, but that was the story

the engagement ends, the ring goes back

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i read somewhere that the custom of the engagement ring was started as a way of compensating for the loss of her value as a virgin, since it was accepted that enagaged couples would have sex.

that way, if the engagement was broken off, she was less "valauable" as a bride, but had something of finite value to make up for it.

sort of a deposit.

sounds insane to me, but that was the story

the engagement ends, the ring goes back

Ya know ... now that you mention it ... I'm kinda liking the whole idea of a woman being compensated in advance for her future loss of earning potential, retirement and investment accumulation, pain, suffering .... But I don't think anything less than the Hope Diamond would compensate any woman worth her salt for that.

:lol2:

newy085

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my case my gf and I have been together for 6 years. We bought a house together 1 year ago and have joint bank accounts. There is no my money, your money money goes in, it pays for bills and whatever we need. If we want something it comes from there. We both equally contribute to the household expenses.

I proposed to her last weekend, she said yes. Now if our relationship was to end, I don't believe I would have a right to the ring, as it was bought with just as much her money as it was mine. I would not feel right in her keeping it, as what you said, it was a symbol of my love I hold for her, and for her to keep it would be wrong.

I think in a perfect world I would like to see the ring sold and split the cash, as there is the ring as a ring shouldn't mean anything outside the relationship.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
My early understanding of the etiquette was that if the bride broke it off, she had to return the ring. If he broke it off, or did something really bad, she could keep the ring.

Me, we'd been living in sin for six years, bought our first house, got married in the living room and our son was the ring-bearer. Nice diamond in a classic solitaire setting. Bought it from a pawn shop jeweller for $700. Blanche has always loved it.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ya know ... now that you mention it ... I'm kinda liking the whole idea of a woman being compensated in advance for her future loss of earning potential, retirement and investment accumulation, pain, suffering .... But I don't think anything less than the Hope Diamond would compensate any woman worth her salt for that.

:lol2:
How about the "Heart of the Ocean"... ya'll can dive down there and get it. :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions