Suggestions

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks, I would be interested in your help on what I can do to improve my back spin kick and getting air on a tornado kick. please keep in mind that I'm 50 yrs old, have a torn ACL and have been working on TKD on average 3 days a week for about 20 months now. The back spin lacks height above waist level and leaves me open and unbalanced. I can execute a tornado kick ok from on the ground, but not the version where you get air on the spinning leg then rotate the attacking hip. I realize that I need to keep at it and can't expect the same agility a teenager would have, but hoping for help nonetheless. thanks. This is the best TKD forum I have found out there, keep up the good work

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
First of all, welcome! With the spin kick, you'll want to lean forward as you execute the kick, and also watch where your knee is pointed (the kicking leg). I'm afraid that the tornado kick isn't exactly my forte...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I would be interested in your help on what I can do to improve my back spin kick and getting air on a tornado kick. please keep in mind that I'm 50 yrs old, have a torn ACL and have been working on TKD on average 3 days a week for about 20 months now. The back spin lacks height above waist level and leaves me open and unbalanced. I can execute a tornado kick ok from on the ground, but not the version where you get air on the spinning leg then rotate the attacking hip. I realize that I need to keep at it and can't expect the same agility a teenager would have, but hoping for help nonetheless. thanks. This is the best TKD forum I have found out there, keep up the good work
It's great that you're trying and training.

But the reality is that you may not be able to do some of the more acrobatic techniques. If you read some of the threads here, you'll notice that some instructors can't do all of the techniques any more as they age and acquire injuries. You're already behind the curve on some of those counts.

That's not to say you should stop training or stop trying! Some skills may just require some extra time or more care for you to learn to execute. Others might not be... though they may seem like it at a first glance. So, keep training and keep trying!

One thing to remember is that the head will lead the body on spinning techniques. If you start the motion by turning your head and looking at the target, your body will follow.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

As for improving your turning back kick, you got great advice from jks: head turn is important.

Also remember to keep the leg close to your supporting leg as you turn.

You can work on the leg by itself by getting on hands and knees and "mule kicking" behind you as high as you can.

Personally, even though I have the flexibility and strength to do my other kicks high, I have never worried about doing a turning back kick any higher than the chest. If I go "high" from turning I go with a turning hook kick.

I would suggest that more important than getting additional height would be working your guard and balance with mid-section turning back kick.

As for tornado kick, I would recommend that unless it is a rank requirement, drop it in favor of dedicating your time to improving your other kicks.

At our age (I'm 41), the flashy kicks just aren't worth injuring ourselves over.

These are just my opinions and Your Mileage May Vary from mine — but those are my suggestions :)

Best o' luck to you in your training!

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks all for your input so far.

Zdom, the back spin kick I'm referring to is also known as a spinning hook kick as shown here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiCQ06QtdL4&feature=related

unfortunately is seems as if some of these kicks are referred to by more than one name, adding to confusion

Yes, be very careful with that :)

The video mentioned "spinning hook..also called spinning heel" and they are not the same.

Spinning Back Kick
Spinning Side Kick (also called "turning backward sidekick")
Spinning Hook Kick
Spinning Heel Kick (also call "wheel kick")

All of those are different kicks with different mechanics and usages

(there were a couple of other terminology/technique problems in the video but overall it was well done)

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Garrisons! Wish that I could offer you advice, but back spins and tornado kicks have never been my strong suit.

But my hats off to you! Fifty and still training is a wonderful thing.

Best wishes to you!

Daniel

OP
G

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Feerless,

I think that I'm tracking with you on some of the 4 you mentioned, except what is the difference between what you call a spinning back kick and spinning side kick? Btw, basics as simple as turning your head first and leaning forward are the couple suggestions I'm going to focus on, as soon as my legs recover, did alot of lunges and hamstring curls and my legs are rubbery.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that I'm tracking with you on some of the 4 you mentioned, except what is the difference between what you call a spinning back kick and spinning side kick?

subtle yet significant.

Note: not all instructors or schools teach them as separate techniques so..

I spinning back kick (or turning back kick simply 'back kick') involves only rotating your hips and shoulders around until they are square and facing away from the opponent and the kick is coming straight out from behind you into your target. Ideally, your toes should be pointing down and your heel up.

A spinning sidekick (or turning sidekick) involves rotating your shoulders and hips around so that your hip and shoulder are pointing toward your target and your leg comes out to your side into the target. Basically you end up in typical sidekick position, you just turned around backwards to get there :)

Because of the difference in how far you turn, there is a slight speed difference in the two kicks.

OP
G

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
thanks, got it, haven't practiced the spinning sidekick before, but it seems straightforward. By the way, my brother and Dad live in the Springs, one off Cheyenne, the other way east past Powers, they both love it compared to the Chicago area.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks, got it, haven't practiced the spinning sidekick before, but it seems straightforward.
It's actually what you need to do to do a spinning hook kick. A spinning hook is just a spinning sidekick that misses a little and gets pulled across.

Note: many beginners will do a spinning sidekick trying to do a back kick but will over rotate and open the hips/shoulders

By the way, my brother and Dad live in the Springs, one off Cheyenne, the other way east past Powers, they both love it compared to the Chicago area.

Cool, I live just off of Powers and Dublin. Do they train here?

OP
G

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
my Dad is into his 70's but doing TaiChi, my brother has no interest. My brother has no interest. I may come out that way before the end of the year. If so I'll look you up and check out your Dojang

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
subtle yet significant.
A spinning back kick (or turning back kick simply 'back kick') involves only rotating your hips and shoulders around until they are square and facing away from the opponent and the kick is coming straight out from behind you into your target. Ideally, your toes should be pointing down and your heel up.

We call that the back thrust. The problem I have with this is, how the hell are my toes supposed to be pointing down? I mean I tried it, but when my kick is fully extended my leg auto rotates to a position where toes are pointing to the side. I tried forcefully keeping them pointed downward but it pulls my muscles. =\

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We call that the back thrust. The problem I have with this is, how the hell are my toes supposed to be pointing down? I mean I tried it, but when my kick is fully extended my leg auto rotates to a position where toes are pointing to the side. I tried forcefully keeping them pointed downward but it pulls my muscles. =\

Just point your toes to the ground and hit with the heel first.
icon10.gif

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

Partially in the hip alignment; if you over rotate your hips your foot will flatten out like that closer to a sidekick.

But... the ideal is 'toes down, heel up' but the success rate is variable and seems as much based on personal physique as anything else. So, try to keep that ideal in mind and get as close as you can but don't hurt yourself doing it :)

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score

Practice on a wall. Both hands on the wall, hips and shoulders square to the wall. Pick your foot up and thrust behind you concentrating on thrusting your heel into the 'target' with your toes down. This is good practice but also will give you a feel for how your body should be feeling, your muscles and bones, in the proper alignment for the kick without worrying about spinning. Once your body 'knows' how it's supposed to feel, it will be easier to do when executing the kick from a spin

Don't worry about the height of the kick, you will feel a pull in you hamstring on your ground leg. Just don't push it and work on the mechanics at whatever height is comfortable. Height will come with practice and increased flexibility

Last edited:

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
Practice on a wall. Both hands on the wall, hips and shoulders square to the wall. Pick your foot up and thrust behind you concentrating on thrusting your heel into the 'target' with your toes down. This is good practice but also will give you a feel for how your body should be feeling, your muscles and bones, in the proper alignment for the kick without worrying about spinning. Once your body 'knows' how it's supposed to feel, it will be easier to do when executing the kick from a spin

Don't worry about the height of the kick, you will feel a pull in you hamstring on your ground leg. Just don't push it and work on the mechanics at whatever height is comfortable. Height will come with practice and increased flexibility

It's not that I don't know how to do it. I do it very compact-ly, supporting foot pointing forward, with knee slightly bent, thrusting leg kept by the side of my supporting knee while thrusting. It's only when my leg is fully extended will it be autotwisted, before that toes are pointed downwards.

Latest Discussions