Students Suspended For Wearing Crucifix

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ALBANY, Ore. - Two teenagers suspended for "gang-related behavior" because they were wearing crucifixes say they were only wearing gifts from their mothers.
Jaime Salazar, 14, and his friend Marco Castro, 16, were suspended from South Albany High School after they refused to put away the crucifixes.
Salazar said that Principal Chris Equinoa saw his necklace and told him to put it away. "I was like, why?" Salazar said. "He says it's related to gangs."

More

Now, without really seeing this crucifix, its hard to know whether or not it was gang related, although many items can be considered gang related, even if they don't initially appear to be upon first look.

Do you think the school over reacted?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I suspect (hope) there is more to it then just wearing a crucifix, maybe a local gang that uses the crucifix as it's symbol, or a certain type of crucifix.

But still, it's silly. Gangs are going to find ways to identify themselves, and it's going to be something that anyone could normally wear. Trying to enforce rules against every possible gang membership indicator is going to be like trying to have a group where everyone is above average, within the group. Eventually there is only one person left, or in this case, a mandatory uniform.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is why many schools across the nation are requiring school uniforms. They feel that by mandating school uniforms, this would eliminate the identities of cliques and gangs. Still, even if hypothetically, everyone is forced to wear the same clothes, they will always find a way to identify themselves and their associates.

Trying to ban items that are *also* worn by others who do not belong to gangs will not solve this school's problem and will infringe upon the rights of those to wear certain symbols of their beliefs and/or activities.

- Ceicei

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea lets remember we all need to be just a like and as far as school uniforms Blah Blah Blah. We must have the right to be us. A crucifix given by the mothers what is next take away the Star of David because it is gang related or the cross and do not forget the charm bracelet, that everybody wears. Sorry I find so much of this stuff crap now a days.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not knowing what gang symbols are in vogue in the area it is hard to judge this case. As has been stated before a certain type of crucifix may indeed be a symbol of a local gang and be on the radar in that area.
Saying anyone can not wear a symbol of faith is always a touchy subject.

It will be interesting to see how this case works out and to learn more of the facts.

Now I will say that if the school asked the girls to "put away" the objects, that is to put them under their clothing and not have them in plain sight the case also takes a different turn.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is why many schools across the nation are requiring school uniforms. They feel that by mandating school uniforms, this would eliminate the identities of cliques and gangs.

I'd bet they gt the opposite result, by taking away individual identity the individuals are going to feel a greater need to belong to a tighter group, and a greater resentment towards what will be viewed as oppressive authority figures.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't care if it is used by a gang, banning crucifixes would be impossible to separate from a 1st amendment violation.

Really though, the gang hysteria has gotten a bit much. Can't wear ballcaps a certain way, can't wear black or red or blue. What the hell will they do when some gang starts wearing crew necked t-shirts and jeans as a uniform? Oh, who am I kidding, they'll ban those too, and most of the parents will applaud them for it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yes, that's true. But at the extreme end there are religious weapons as in the case of the Sikh Kirpan. This was a tough one for the TSA too. The crucifix is clearly a religious symbol but it's also an image of a man being tortured to death.

In any event, I think that if it's being used as a gang symbol...what can one do? I'm not prepared to say that it's unreasonable.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect (hope) there is more to it then just wearing a crucifix, maybe a local gang that uses the crucifix as it's symbol, or a certain type of crucifix.

But still, it's silly. Gangs are going to find ways to identify themselves, and it's going to be something that anyone could normally wear. Trying to enforce rules against every possible gang membership indicator is going to be like trying to have a group where everyone is above average, within the group. Eventually there is only one person left, or in this case, a mandatory uniform.

True. I was watching a documentary on gangs a few weeks ago. They did a clip on the Latin Kings. A simple yellow and black cap, may appear innocent to the average person, apparently those are the colors of that gang. Interestingly enough, they showed one member wearing a cross...with the colors yellow and black on the cross.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is why many schools across the nation are requiring school uniforms. They feel that by mandating school uniforms, this would eliminate the identities of cliques and gangs. Still, even if hypothetically, everyone is forced to wear the same clothes, they will always find a way to identify themselves and their associates.

Trying to ban items that are *also* worn by others who do not belong to gangs will not solve this school's problem and will infringe upon the rights of those to wear certain symbols of their beliefs and/or activities.

- Ceicei

There are many schools where I live that required uniforms, although most are private schools. However, some public schools, while they havent gone to uniforms yet, they require a dress code so to speak, which bans certain articles of clothing.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

I don't care if it is used by a gang, banning crucifixes would be impossible to separate from a 1st amendment violation.

I agree. I don't know if the crucifix is actually used as a symbol of any gangs, but, as I said in a post below, I could only see it being an issue if the colors of the gang were in the crucifix.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are many schools where I live that required uniforms, although most are private schools. However, some public schools, while they havent gone to uniforms yet, they require a dress code so to speak, which bans certain articles of clothing.
The school district I work for bans certain articles of clothing. Some are banned because they are gang related (e.g. professional sports team attire, anything from Insane Clown Posse); others are banned because they are potential weapons (e.g. heavy wallet chains, nailed boots); others because they are inappropriate (e.g. spaghetti straps, tank tops with armholes that show the torso, anything with profanity); still others because they represent guns, drugs, and/or alcohol. The theory is that these types of items interfere with the learning process - some do; some don't; it depends more on the attitude and/or appearance of the student wearing the items than the items themselves.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with uniforms - for the students and the staff. It would certainly make getting dressed in the morning easier - and it's usually much cheaper to buy uniforms.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The schools in my area have a "dress code" that says students can only wear solid color black, blue or khaki pants/skirt, sold color blue or white shirts.

You can identify who belongs to what gang now by who is wearing Blue Jeans with plain white t-shirts with the cuffs rolled just such, or Khacki pants and plain blue Tshirts... etc etc.

THAT solved the problem. Jackasses.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The schools in my area have a "dress code" that says students can only wear solid color black, blue or khaki pants/skirt, sold color blue or white shirts.

You can identify who belongs to what gang now by who is wearing Blue Jeans with plain white t-shirts with the cuffs rolled just such, or Khacki pants and plain blue Tshirts... etc etc.

THAT solved the problem. Jackasses.

Yea like a dress code is going to stop gangs, SHHHHHHH

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
True. I was watching a documentary on gangs a few weeks ago. They did a clip on the Latin Kings. A simple yellow and black cap, may appear innocent to the average person, apparently those are the colors of that gang. Interestingly enough, they showed one member wearing a cross...with the colors yellow and black on the cross.
We do see many gang members, especially from Latino gangs, wearing a Rosary as a necklace; the Rosary is usually in their gang colors. It alone would not constitute an identifier... but most Catholics do not WEAR a Rosary, they carry it. Add some more indicators, and not knowing any of the prayers... That's a problem.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
The gangs now have a way to bring us down..... This month, let's have the Bloods adopt the American Flag, the Crips use Uncle Sam, the Latin Kings take the Star of David and M13 have the School Mascot.... next month they can switch to the Armed Services emblems.... next to the people pictured on our coins and currency.

Skool Sheeple will have to rush to ban each in succession to fight gang influence... pass a penny or a fiver - - - You Crip, You!!!

There should be a sub section here devoted to these foibles.... no wonder Johnny is illiterate and Jane can't think.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is not so much the Crucifix that matters its depends on what the person's colors are and what the Crucifix looks like. As said before about the Latin Kings the rosary can be seen as a masked way of showing your colors. Here is a link from my city showing the Crucifix used in a gang realted manner http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/gangs/sets5.html
There are also other similar symbols both religious and non religious.
I think it is a tough call to make and I think the call was in the good and safety of the school than it was some religious attack.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really though, the gang hysteria has gotten a bit much. Can't wear ballcaps a certain way, can't wear black or red or blue. What the hell will they do when some gang starts wearing crew necked t-shirts and jeans as a uniform? Oh, who am I kidding, they'll ban those too, and most of the parents will applaud them for it.

You are behind the times my friend, the new gang dress codes are starting to go to that type of dress. They know that having the tattoos and identifiers singles them out so they are trying to go below the radar with their dress. I knew of one, that all members wore black suits and ties.

If anyone READ the article, it stated that the school district in question has problems with the gangs wearing those symbols. It also said that the kids was suspended because HE LEFT SCHOOL instead of going to the office. The students were not told NOT TO WEAR the items, only told not to have them on display. It also doesn't show what the crucifix looked like. I have seen both religious ones, and then the ones that are geared towards hispanic gangs.

I work as a liaison officer and have had this discussion with my school. Because of the popularity of MTV and "gang culture" you have regular kids that dress as a gang member because they like the look and do not have an affliliation with any gang. This poses two problems 1) It's hard to monitor actual gang activity and 2) you get innocent people assaulted because they wore the wrong colors or displayed the wrong signs.

The hat tilt to the left or right is a VERY specific sign. A while back it was one pant leg rolled up on one side. This had a very specific meaning as well. Depending on the right or left meant you were either a crip or blood. Red or blue also meant crip or blood. Now you also have more hispanic gangs coming to prominence that are rivals to the black gangs.

"SKOOL SHEEPLE" comments show that you do not actually work in a school or area that has a gang problem. Two of our local schools do and are constantly having group fights on a daily basis over gang activity and then the retaliations and so on. Yes, they are going to try and identify themselves anyway they can, but if you can TRY to minimize this and more importantly make it so innocent kids aren't getting assualted because they want to dress like 50 Cent does and fit in.

I won't even get into the gangs that have the large gold crosses that have knife blades hidden in them. Because we all know that those are just religious symbols and people are overreacting to it all.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I doubt this was a tasteful, small gold cross. My money is on a large, diamond (fake) encrusted piece of "bling" on a thick gold chain.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Chances are the school officials are correct in their belief. I am a little surprised at all of the voices here that are bashing schools for attempting to address a very difficult problem. I am also not hearing any real alternative solutions being presented by the people who are naysaying the school's attempts to control the gang issue.

Latest Discussions