Structure,Root & Position

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
This videos talks and points out the three most important aspects of Wing Chun,Structure,Rooting,and Positioning. This video also talks about why Less is More,and how and why controlling your opponent is the key to Wing Chun mastery.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the use of structure and rooting in the video. But..... What about focusing structure in a downward forward direction? So instead of like Gary Lam would say "Making him fly away". Why not use a forward sinking energy to collapse the opponent in that spot. I'm getting to old and lazy to chase him off into the distance. I want to drop him where he stands. What's your take on that?

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the use of structure and rooting in the video. But..... What about focusing structure in a downward forward direction? So instead of like Gary Lam would say "Making him fly away". Why not use a forward sinking energy to collapse the opponent in that spot. I'm getting to old and lazy to chase him off into the distance. I want to drop him where he stands. What's your take on that?

Yes, you can use your structure to sink the opponent or float him him another option. It's up to you. A personal choice.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess it's a preference. I like that in the video you mention control. I know some would disagree and say Wing Chun is a striking art only. Like the IZZ on the tube. But i disagree it's both. Especially if weapons come into play.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess it's a preference. I like that in the video you mention control. I know some would disagree and say Wing Chun is a striking art only. Like the IZZ on the tube. But i disagree it's both. Especially if weapons come into play.

To say WC is only a striking art then one does not understand Chinese Martial arts. All Chinese Martial art systems are comprehensive which have kicking,punching, throwing,grappling,felling not just striking..

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, you can use your structure to sink the opponent or float him him another option. It's up to you. A personal choice.
By float do you mean uprooting? I have found uprooting/floating then immediately sinking or pressing forward works great. It's
hard for the opponent to track or recover and disorients them for a second.Which is nice cause it puts you ahead of the count. Makes them play catch up. Keep posting vids I enjoy watching different perspectives.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
To say WC is only a striking art then one does not understand Chinese Martial arts. All Chinese Martial art systems are comprehensive which have kicking,punching, throwing,grappling,felling not just striking..
Funny you mentioned throwing and grappling. I have found myself starting to really enjoy learning grappling locks and throws. I think I'm a closet grappler stuck in a WC body. I'm having a bit of an identity crisis,haha.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny you mentioned throwing and grappling. I have found myself starting to really enjoy learning grappling locks and throws. I think I'm a closet grappler stuck in a WC body. I'm having a bit of an identity crisis,haha.
since wing chun is a close range fighting system it make sense to use locks and throws alone with kicking and punching. its hard to find a WC teacher who will teach you any of that stuff because most don't know it or very little of it.