Striking Bags

OP
K

kenposcum

I fill mine with lead ahot, hang them on the wall, and punch them. They are good for developing a sort of "penetrating" feel to your punches. Don't start with lead shot; start with dry beans, then use sand, then lead shot.
Another thing they are good for is grip training. Toss the bag into the air, and then forcefully snatch it out of the air. This will give you a more explosive grip.

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by kenposcum

I fill mine with lead ahot, hang them on the wall, and punch them. They are good for developing a sort of "penetrating" feel to your punches. Don't start with lead shot; start with dry beans, then use sand, then lead shot.
Another thing they are good for is grip training. Toss the bag into the air, and then forcefully snatch it out of the air. This will give you a more explosive grip.

What kind of beans? I tried green beans and just ended up making a mess:D

OP
R

Richard S.

we use them in Wing Chun as part of iron palm training. for developing penetrating power in straight punching. hang it on a good sturdy wall high enough so its level with your chest stand close enough( feet shoulder width square to the bag) so your punches dont quite fully extend and hold your fist a handsbreadth out from the center of your chest and punch the bag till your shoulder is on fire. when you can punch a 1000 times train one arm per day. at first dried soy beans are best (not green beans, defineatly not refried beans) and remember dit da jow - dit da jow-dit da jow.............respects

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really like working with them, they are great for conditioning and for working on eye gouges and such!!

7sm

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Richard S.

we use them in Wing Chun as part of iron palm training. for developing penetrating power in straight punching. hang it on a good sturdy wall high enough so its level with your chest stand close enough( feet shoulder width square to the bag) so your punches dont quite fully extend and hold your fist a handsbreadth out from the center of your chest and punch the bag till your shoulder is on fire. when you can punch a 1000 times train one arm per day. at first dried soy beans are best (not green beans, defineatly not refried beans) and remember dit da jow - dit da jow-dit da jow.............respects

What kind of result are you expecting?

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"penetrating power in punching"

Mr Richard S.

How is that accomplished?
Do you increase the speed and/or the power used progressively or do you use the same speed and power?
Or do you use maximum speed and maximum power in every punch?

Please Correct me if I am wrong. Penetrating punching power depends on 2 factors: strength and hardened forefists. In my experience, this type of punching bag is mostly for hardening the forefists. It works great for that purpose. As for increasing strength, plyometric pushup and bodybuilding routines are the best way to go. :asian:

Of course, we should not forget proper punching technique that maximize the punch by throwing the proper body mechanics to drive/propel the punch.

Respectfully

Kenneth Ku

OP
R

Richard S.

Originally posted by KennethKu

Mr Richard S.

How is that accomplished?
Do you increase the speed and/or the power used progressively or do you use the same speed and power?
Or do you use maximum speed and maximum power in every punch?

Please Correct me if I am wrong. Penetrating punching power depends on 2 factors: strength and hardened forefists. In my experience, this type of punching bag is mostly for hardening the forefists. It works great for that purpose. As for increasing strength, plyometric pushup and bodybuilding routines are the best way to go. :asian:

Of course, we should not forget proper punching technique that maximize the punch by throwing the proper body mechanics to drive/propel the punch.

Respectfully

Kenneth Ku
hello, KennethKu how are you? 1- it is accomplished through massive repetition. we are taught that although muscular strenth is desirable muscles are only as good as the tendons that support them. one of our mottos is "you are not building tendon till the burning starts" 2- yes we increase progressively both in power and speed, but only after we can punch the bag with full power and speed repeatedly with no ill effects. thats where the beans, then sand, then lead or steel shot come in. as for your other statements i agree whole heartedly............thankyou and respects.

OP
G

GouRonin

Originally posted by fist of fury
What kind of beans? I tried green beans and just ended up making a mess:D

That's nothing. I thought I had to pluck the beans out of chili. Now I have burns all over my hands!
:rolleyes:

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by GouRonin

That's nothing. I thought I had to pluck the beans out of chili. Now I have burns all over my hands!
:rolleyes:

:rofl:

Maybe you should start with jelly beans

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

hello, KennethKu how are you? 1- it is accomplished through massive repetition. we are taught that although muscular strenth is desirable muscles are only as good as the tendons that support them. one of our mottos is "you are not building tendon till the burning starts" 2- yes we increase progressively both in power and speed, but only after we can punch the bag with full power and speed repeatedly with no ill effects. thats where the beans, then sand, then lead or steel shot come in. as for your other statements i agree whole heartedly............thankyou and respects.

Mr. Richard S.
Thankyou for your insight. And also for your "remember dit da jow - dit da jow-dit da jow" advice. Words to heed, indeed. Without dit da jow, the training would be impossible to progress. :asian:

Respectfully,

Kenneth Ku