Building the Imaginary Enemy

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you teach your students to visualize an opponent when training? How important do you think this is for the student? Do you just tell them to see a face on the bag, or do you devote drills and activities to fostering this ability? And if so, what types of exercises do you use?

For instance, do you tell them to visualize a real opponent when shadow boxing or striking the bag? What about visualizing grappling techniques? Have you tried imagining that opponent as a dumb body to manipulate or drag? Do you teach them to visualize defending against that opponent, and taking that defense through the long and short ranges, from standing to takedowns to finish? What about visualizing the effects of strikes and grapples on the opponent from the third point of view? Do you ask them to imagine what they would be witnessing from the observers perspective?

Is this something you think your students should spend a significant amount of time on, for the purpose of practicing on their own when they can't train with a partner?

How useful a skill is this in your own training?

Any?

-Rob

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
in my training, its very useful, especially when doing kata but in all exercise really we are taught this. To act as if we are really being like the 'im gonna beat you up, you punk!' type deal.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In my own training, (I have no students I'm far and away from being an instructor) I try to imagine my opponents as being as realistic as possible. I use my MA training/skills for defense only (shouldn't everyone?) and based on my personal experiences, things I've seen, heard, discussed with people there are no hollywoodized attackers. No one is going to call you out and challenge you, no one is going to monologue or explain the reasons why or anything.
They're going to ambush you, bushwhack you, sneak up on you, hit you when you least expect it, not even tap you on the shoulder and wait for you to turn around. They'll point the gun to the back of your head not in your face, they'll stab you in the back instead of in the front, or if they do go for the gut they'll wait til they are right up on you before sinking the knife.
They'll get two or three of their buddies to ensure it's a fair fight (for THEM). They'll not give a damn if you say hey hold it, that's enough nor will they even regard in the least a simple tap out.
They absolutely will not stop nor be merciful.

I should treat them the same and worse.

Practicing, I'll go for the vitals every single time and I'll do my blows and kicks and gouges and whatever to rend, tear and maim.

Sound mean? They would do no less to me.

Tell that to your students.
Tell them to practice their forms and techniques to their utmost but to leave the formalities and the niceties in the dojo where they belong, because they have no place beyond those doors.

:asian:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi,

We use it in our adrenal-stress training. Basically, the student is guided to create an imagined opponent that truly scares them, to the point where they feel a twinge of adrenaline, then they are guided to supress the feelings (go into a mushin state), and train the technique (slow and precise, through to at full speed and power). Obviously this is a solo training drill, and our better students employ it in their home training (as do the Instructors).

We use this for everything from modern defensive movements, to weapon use and defence, to offensive pre-emptive defences, to traditional movements, and more. The more we can do under adrenaline, the better. And the more you get used to this, the more you can push yourself past the level you could cope with yesterday.

MA-Caver, while I get where you are coming from, having an approach that has all attackers coming at you with your utter destruction in mind and you then returning in kind is a little limited. I agree that you should be prepared for a worst-case scenario, but if that is all you are prepared for it does lead to over-reaction and over-compensation, which can be incredibly bad (aggrevating a situation, legal issues etc). After all, the military have far more than just nuclear weapons to use... they also have large transport vehicles to bring aid in times of need, and everything for situations in between. Martial arts should be similar, I feel.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The building of the imaginary enemy, is vital to fully benefiting from this unique training concept. When we first learn a kata, it is all about the moves, we, are learning, and our own body positioning. It isn't until we can transcend past this singular training concept, that we can truly achieve all that is to be learned. When we can truly "feel" our opponent, gauge distance with them, maneuver around them, feel our blocks against their techniques, and feel our own strikes as they land on their mark, that we truly have arrived. At this level of kata training, we can benefit optimally from this very unique concept of old. During kata practice, you are never defeated, but always come out victorious. Used as part of the whole training experience of martial arts, the above is sometimes the missing link to fully experience all there is within. :asian:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I teach my students to visualize an attacker or targets -- and have sometimes spent some time on doing this with students. But it's not something I regularly devote huge amounts of time to doing, either. There are times to focus on being aware of the muscles and movements; there are times to focus on visualizing targets and attacks. Each plays a role in training.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
An absolute must for iaido. It takes years of practice. I start off with "him" there, but then somewhere in the kata he vanishes, only to reappear dead on the floor at the end.
One year, he'll be there for the whole kata. One year.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you teach your students to visualize an opponent when training? How important do you think this is for the student? Do you just tell them to see a face on the bag, or do you devote drills and activities to fostering this ability? And if so, what types of exercises do you use?

For instance, do you tell them to visualize a real opponent when shadow boxing or striking the bag? What about visualizing grappling techniques? Have you tried imagining that opponent as a dumb body to manipulate or drag? Do you teach them to visualize defending against that opponent, and taking that defense through the long and short ranges, from standing to takedowns to finish? What about visualizing the effects of strikes and grapples on the opponent from the third point of view? Do you ask them to imagine what they would be witnessing from the observers perspective?

Is this something you think your students should spend a significant amount of time on, for the purpose of practicing on their own when they can't train with a partner?

How useful a skill is this in your own training?

Any?

-Rob

Well, myself, especially when I'm doing bag work/focus mitt training, I'll usually think of someone or something, that has pissed me off lately. Amazing how much better of a workout I get. :D :D :D

IMO, I think it is important to visualize, especially when you're working alone, ie: doing kata or techs in the air. I dont do any special training, just simply tell them to imagine the attack or think of something that'll get them mentally heared up. :)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, myself, especially when I'm doing bag work/focus mitt training, I'll usually think of someone or something, that has pissed me off lately. Amazing how much better of a workout I get. :D :D :D
Sounds like a winner to me, I have used this myself. Also in sparring I teach students to think nasty things happening to family members from their opponent and this really helps.
icon10.gif

Laus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In both my current and former dojo - I taught at the old place, not at the new one (haven't been there long enough) - students are taught to imagine they are up again someone their own size when working kihon and kata. Aim for where your head/solar plexus would be if you were attacking yourself, that sort of thing. I find it useful for polishing aim, but somewhat impractical otherwise - an average sized woman like myself is probably not going to be needing to stike someone their own height . But that is made up for plenty in contact practice, the bulk of the men being a head taller than I am and built like trucks. Life is good.

I have done partner drills created from of all or part of some of our more complicated kata (such that one person acts as the attacker while the other executes the actual kata exactly as they would if the person wasn't there). Very interesting experience. The way we react when there is an actual person there, despite the fact that our role doesn't change at all, is very...instructive! That aside it does make it easier to visualize what you're doing and why afterward when the partner is no longer there.

I'll usually think of someone or something, that has pissed me off lately. Amazing how much better of a workout I get.

Same. I throw much stronger techniques at the imagined face of someone who's not on my good side. Unfortunately I don't think we're allowed to teach that, hehe. We have to settle for inspiring the fictional enemy instead.

Latest Discussions