Strike the hands ...or go straight to the head?

OP
G

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As my instructor points out (empty hand system) that most people don't "defend" their hands...

I remember learning really quickly to retract my hand after striking with a stick, and chambering in a protected position. But This is more true of FMA because of the types of weaponry commonly used that leave the hands exposed.

Then I ran into some HEMA guys who do saber and cutlass. There are a lot of stylistic similarities ...and even a historical connection, if you consider that back in colonial times Filipino sailors on Spanish ships would have been exposed to such techniques. However, do to the hand-guards engineered into those European weapons, the hands are not retracted to the same degree, and offensive hand strikes with the guard (almost like using a buckler) are often used.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember learning really quickly to retract my hand after striking with a stick, and chambering in a protected position. But This is more true of FMA because of the types of weaponry commonly used that leave the hands exposed.

Then I ran into some HEMA guys who do saber and cutlass. There are a lot of stylistic similarities ...and even a historical connection, if you consider that back in colonial times Filipino sailors on Spanish ships would have been exposed to such techniques. However, do to the hand-guards engineered into those European weapons, the hands are not retracted to the same degree, and offensive hand strikes with the guard (almost like using a buckler) are often used.
We call it short arcing. The arc of the hand and weapon tip is more of an oblong arc. Removes the hand while allowing the weapon tip to be directed toward the target or in an 'OS' moment to shield the opponent's attack.