Strating your own System, That is the Question???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I dont think a 10th Dan or claiming one is a great value. It fact it seems boisterous to me. I do believe at least 10 years to be a good criteria. And not 10 years of book/video or random training. For example 1 year per different art as having 10 art, times 1 year, equals to a total of 10.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
For example 1 year per different art as having 10 art, times 1 year, equals to a total of 10.

I would have agreed to this 10 years ago. Then a good friend of mine, who happened to be an excellent Tae Kwon Doist showed me some stuff. I found out that one year in 10 arts does not equal 10 years. It equals one year in ten arts.

In my current art, my foundation, one year is enough to learn the basics. Ten years of basics is good, but one is not going to learn any depth from the basics.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
indeed, simply learning the foundation in a multitude of arts does not give you any insight into the principles.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
indeed, simply learning the foundation in a multitude of arts does not give you any insight into the principles.
Therefore, is it giving one enough experience to create/start their own?

R

rmcrobertson

Just to go back to the original question for a moment:

No, it's not even remotely the question.

In fact, it's a beautiful example of ways to protect yourself against all the real questions.

Incidentally, in "Hamlet?" All the good interpretations of that soliloquy point out that Hamlette cannot possibly answer what she's asking.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well lets look at it this way..........we can take it from a tradesman or a university students point of view.
some guy decides he wants to be a tradesman so he goes to a plumber and works with him for a year, picks up rudimentary knowledge of plumbing and decides its not for him, tries millwrighting, nope....pipefitting, too much like plumbing, electrical....nah. he spends ten years going around the trades picking up things here and there ......oh wait, a jack of all trades, master of none.
i needn't go further

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I dont think a 10th Dan or claiming one is a great value.
Not unless you are trying to impress som young teenage boys.......

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Two things I noticed about the "Fusho Satori-Ryu" web site:

1. The "10th Dan" founder looks no more than 45 years old.

2. Very pronounced gut. Does not exactly look in shape.

Sigh. Where will it end?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:

Sigh. Where will it end?

1.)Yeah, at that level the age should be around what?

2.) Like a beer gut?

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Examining the guy's bio on his webpage, apparently a 10th dan is approximately equal to:

2 years of Shaolin Kung Fu (red sash)
1 year "Way of Life" Dojo Aikido (shodan!!!)
1 year Black Star Ninjutsu
3 years self training, after which he formed his own style, "Golden Dragon Karate"
1994-some time probably before end 1995: Ryu-Kai (soemone else's style, Nidan)
1995- some training in kempo, no grade mentioned.

Even being generous with his training dates, this 10th dan is approximately equal to 6 years training under several instructors, with maximum achieved grade of Nidan (and that in someone else's personal style) and 3 years of self training.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:

Sigh. Where will it end?

1) Actually he was born in 1962….so about 43 years old.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now, now, now. This pic should have been summited on another forum that enjoys something like this.
icon7.gif

Also, I though this forum was freindly and its policy wasnt out to display anything negative about anyone/style.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
well lets look at it this way..........we can take it from a tradesman or a university students point of view.
some guy decides he wants to be a tradesman so he goes to a plumber and works with him for a year, picks up rudimentary knowledge of plumbing and decides its not for him, tries millwrighting, nope....pipefitting, too much like plumbing, electrical....nah. he spends ten years going around the trades picking up things here and there ......oh wait, a jack of all trades, master of none.
i needn't go further
Actually tye problem would be if someone knocked around the trades for a few years. Then surfaced as say a master Mason, that would be fleecing the public. When honest masons do nothing it woould discrecit the industry.

P.S. Having a Fanatsy sword on a Martial Arts web site (all real, no fancy stuff for the ring) should be punished.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

I don't know the answer to what age a 10th dan should be...or how big his/her gut should be. The sword picture isn't too impressive, but it's also from a high angle so perhaps it's hard to say.

Ah well, life goes on.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Arnisador: my evaluation of the sword picture was that it was a bad stance, a bad grip and likely a bad sword too, judging from the decoration...

I imagine it was just a pose to look impressive, but to claim it as a picture of him in action might be a bit misleading.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Aegis said:
1) my evaluation of the sword picture was that it was a bad stance, a bad grip and likely a bad sword too, judging from the decoration...

2) I imagine it was just a pose to look impressive, but to claim it as a picture of him in action might be a bit misleading.
1)The sword was a piece of crap.

2) I call that pose the “Sho Kasugi pose”, which pays homage to all the crap Ninja movies from the 1980’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions