Strating your own System, That is the Question???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread has grown quickly, please list the post numbers that you think violate the fraud busting policy and I'll gladly put it in for review. :asian:

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
This thread has grown quickly, please list the post numbers that you think violate the fraud busting policy and I'll gladly put it in for review. :asian:
If you look threw this thread you'll find them.....or any of the other "Soke" related threads where the Soke is getting debunked.
My point is why is it OK to take pot shots at a couple of folks on this thread and not the other????? Seems hypocritical.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
If you look threw this thread you'll find them.....or any of the other "Soke" related threads where the Soke is getting debunked.
My point is why is it OK to take pot shots at a couple of folks on this thread and not the other????? Seems hypocritical.
The difference may be that the thread itself originally was not intended to fraud bust a particular individual. Your concerns have been noted though as your post has already been put in for all of the Mods to review the thread. :asian:

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
The difference may be that the thread itself originally was not intended to fraud bust a particular individual. Your concerns have been noted though as your post has already been put in for all of the Mods to review the thread. :asian:

MT “Fraud Busting” policy doesn’t state that it is OK for people to “fraud bust” mid thread.

Official Policy on “Fraud” Busting and Credential Verification.

Fraud Busting
Due to its nature, this forum encourages the asking and answering of questions. Many times one member will have questions and concerns about the history, skills, lineage, or paperwork of another member. In other cases, things may be stated on a webpage, flyer or article relating to a member that raises some questions. Sometimes, comments will have been made elsewhere and those issues carried over to MartialTalk.

MartialTalk and its staff encourages the polite and professional search for knowledge. Questions and concerns may be brought up, with the understanding that the other party is under no requirement to answer.

Most questions may be raised within the forums dedicated to a particular art or area of interest. (Example: Kenpo Lineage questions in the Kenpo forum). Others of a more serious note, are to be limited to the “Bad Budo” forum.

Excessive “Inquisitor” style questioning is not allowed and will be subject to administrative action. If you have had to ask a question more than 3 times, you are most likely running the risk of “excessive’.

In addition, “Hot Pursuit” actions will not be tolerated. The “Hot Pursuit” is defined as asking the same or similar questions in multiple threads and/or forums.

Members who become ‘obsessed”, ‘inquisitors’ or ‘interrogators’ will be subject to administrative action. Members who are involved in excessive arguments that disrupt the forum, may be subject to administrative action due to the disruption of the normal operation of this forum

Credential Verification
The staff of this forum is certainly concerned with the rising problem of falsified and otherwise questionable credentials. Due to the costs in time and money, as well as possible language barriers, we are unable to perform verifications. Because of the number of different organizations, splits and other divergences, absolute certainty of authenticity can only be achieved in a few select areas.

While each member of our unpaid, volunteer staff has their own area of knowledge, we do not feel we are qualified to evaluate the skills of those who have not trained in our own arts. The “Karateka” is simply not qualified to decide if the “Kenpoists” ‘karate’ is any good. Each art has its own requirements and guidelines. It is humanly impossible to understand them all.

The simple truth is that there are thousands of opinions on what is right, and wrong in the arts. We encourage our members to share their ideas in a polite manner.

MartialTalk staff will not be involved in ‘credential’ verification or ‘skills evaluations’.

MartialTalk is not a forum dedicated to credential checks or outing frauds. Our goal is to provide a friendly, and an open area to exchange ideas, share thoughts, relax and network. Activities that disrupt our primary focus are not encouraged.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I didn't say it was ok to do, it is just more obvious in the other thread and springs to attention because it is the topic of the thread. Please know that your concerns in this thread are being addressed.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
I didn't say it was ok to do, it is just more obvious in the other thread and springs to attention because it is the topic of the thread. Please know that your concerns in this thread are being addressed.
What was kind of odd is the original guy I mentioned in the thread had no connection to MT and nobody had a problem with it and several replies were made about him and the thread stayed open.

THEN I mentioned another guy who has an indirect tie to MT and the thread gets closed up tighter than a frog's butt.

That just seems a little too convenientÂ…..

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
RRouuselot said:
Dunno....but the timing is pretty poor.....and oddly enough the thread can't be accessed or seen any longer.
The thread is being stored until I can look at it. If I see that it is pretty much the same as this, I will restore it. However, there seems to be a few insults among the participants being hurled. They need to stop or the insulters will be suspended.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Seig: if it's insults, would it be possible to delete the appropriate bits and restore the thread anyway? If it's the thread I'm thinking of, there were some quite interesting bits in there, and it would be a shame to lose it to a few insults...

Cheers regardless

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
An excellent post btw

Lets say for sake of argument you agree with ppl starting their own systems. I have 4 questions.

1) What is the mininum rank a person should hold before starting their own system??

I think there are already way too many self proclaimed GrandMasters. For example, when I teach, I can give the student the option of using a grab, and not a hammer fist, or a ridge hand on particular techniques in order to suit their needs and expand their minds, or vice versa, does not necessarily mean I am going to take this, give my self 8 dans and start the oh I dunno "the red monkey kenpo system."

2) How long should a person have studied and or had time in grade?

If they are going to go that route certainly higher than shodan or nidan, sadly thats the rank most of these so called neo-grandmasters had before they were enlightened to start their own systems, if they ever even reached black belt.

3) What other requirements should a person have?

Well,their system should work, not just through the eyes of a white belt walking in to their studios, but tested against other black belts of other systems, and most certainly the system it derived from.

4) Should there be some type of exam board or accrediation board for testing to ensure high standards?

This would be awesome in an ideal world, but prob would not happen in the real world, for various reasons. Its the biggest problem with all of this as well because, well if you start your own system, you've pretty much given yourself full acreditation. I mean lol, who is going to take that one away from you?

I look forward to your posts, all opinions and views are welcome.

Thanks

San[/QUOTE]

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
evenflow1121 said:
An excellent post btw

Lets say for sake of argument you agree with ppl starting their own systems. I have 4 questions.

1) What is the mininum rank a person should hold before starting their own system??

I think there are already way too many self proclaimed GrandMasters. For example, when I teach, I can give the student the option of using a grab, and not a hammer fist, or a ridge hand on particular techniques in order to suit their needs and expand their minds, or vice versa, does not necessarily mean I am going to take this, give my self 8 dans and start the oh I dunno "the red monkey kenpo system."

2) How long should a person have studied and or had time in grade?

If they are going to go that route certainly higher than shodan or nidan, sadly thats the rank most of these so called neo-grandmasters had before they were enlightened to start their own systems, if they ever even reached black belt.

3) What other requirements should a person have?

Well,their system should work, not just through the eyes of a white belt walking in to their studios, but tested against other black belts of other systems, and most certainly the system it derived from.

4) Should there be some type of exam board or accrediation board for testing to ensure high standards?

This would be awesome in an ideal world, but prob would not happen in the real world, for various reasons. Its the biggest problem with all of this as well because, well if you start your own system, you've pretty much given yourself full acreditation. I mean lol, who is going to take that one away from you?

I look forward to your posts, all opinions and views are welcome.

Thanks

San
[/QUOTE]Isn't there already a thread asking these exact same questions?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ninhito said:
how come he would have to have anyrank in any system?
A rank in a system deminstrates determination and instruction from a qualified instructor.

Would a employer want to hire someone with a diploma or without one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions