SOKE or not to SOKE that is the Question

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
That is why I only view 'rank' as an indicator of where a student is in a curriculum. Learn to crawl before you can walk....and so on. If someone is investing more importance than that to the rank....that is their problem - OR if someone is assuming that 'you think your bad because you are an xyz belt...' that is their problem.

"ranking" within your own system is an instructor's concern ONLY so that he/she knows what to teach next and to evaluate where the student is in the overall system.

The assocations, organziation/affiliation issues are business/political and really don't have any impact on what happens on the floor IMO. But, to assume that those that are affiliated are automatically bad at their art is not a good way to operate JUST like assuming that they have to be good because of all those titles and such is not a good way to operate. Meet the people, watch their students move and interact and that will tell you volumes about their art, their character and their quality as human beings.
Very nice view on the rank only being for what the instructor needs to teach next. I like that alot. It would definately help cut down on the ego portion of the ranking structure.
icon14.gif

OP
V

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks and thanks again for all of the posts, I certainly appreciate everyone taking the time to post and express thier opinions.
Thanks again and keep them coming
San

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
searcher said:
Very nice view on the rank only being for what the instructor needs to teach next. I like that alot. It would definately help cut down on the ego portion of the ranking structure.
icon14.gif
Yes it does. Internally, our group was pretty easy going and training focused. There is always some form of competition, pecking order, 'rank' issue that comes with simply being a social animal as humans are, but we never let it take centerstage over quality of training on the floor because the 'ranking' in the curriculum was simply for academic purposes.

Latest Discussions