stop? slow down? Speed up?

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good morning! I have a question. In between kung fu, tai chi, and my own practice I basically get in about 2 - 3.5 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'm usually never that sore (except the occasional brush burn) and I am having LOTS of fun. Should I force myself to take a day off, cut down on personal practice and keep going to the classes, or can I safely continue as I am?
%think%

ps.. I just realized I asked something similar about 8 months ago, though the situation is different now so I figured it's ok to leave this up.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
Good morning! I have a question. In between kung fu, tai chi, and my own practice I basically get in about 2 - 3.5 hours a day, 7 days a week. I'm usually never that sore (except the occasional brush burn) and I am having LOTS of fun. Should I force myself to take a day off, cut down on personal practice and keep going to the classes, or can I safely continue as I am?
%think%

ps.. I just realized I asked something similar about 8 months ago, though the situation is different now so I figured it's ok to leave this up.

Theres nothing wrong with taking a few days off. Not only will it give your body a rest, but your mind as well. If you didn't want to take time off, you could cut down on the hours that you're training.

Mike

C

CrankyDragon

My advice: Slow down, have some days off. Theres nothing wrong with your drive or energy, but you can burn yourself out. Id rather see you in there for the LONG haul, than for the short flash.

Good luck and God bless!
Andrew

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gut feeling: Slow down. Too much physical activity leads to overtraining, basically a self-induced flu. I say gut feeling because I don't know exactly what your training consists of and how intense it is, but consult an instructor and know that even 4-5 times a week is highly regarded and makes for quick progress.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
arnisador said:
The occasional day off is actually helpful, not hirtful!
I agree definitely that it's not hirtful at all. In fact the only thing that is hirtful is Arny's spelling. :rolleyes:

(giggle, snort) :rofl:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh come now, they're very close on the keyboard!

I'm forced to use a laptop as my regular machine broke, and I don't like the keys at all.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Oh come now, they're very close on the keyboard!

I'm forced to use a laptop as my regular machine broke, and I don't like the keys at all.
One word.... Dragon

OP
Shaolinwind

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I never thought to consult an instructor, I really don't want to sound like I am bragging about myself. Anyhow It's not like I am doing cotton fist 40 times a day on my own time, lol. It's more like some stretches, some breathing, nunchaku/broadsword, light duty stuff so I have plenty of energy for classes. I'm still quite heavy and thus still quite limited.

All that aside, I really HAVE to take a day off to spend time with my wife. It should have been the first thought on my mind rather than how much fun "I'm" having. Gotta take care of my gal!

Loki said:
Gut feeling: Slow down. Too much physical activity leads to overtraining, basically a self-induced flu. I say gut feeling because I don't know exactly what your training consists of and how intense it is, but consult an instructor and know that even 4-5 times a week is highly regarded and makes for quick progress.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We get stronger by breaking down muscles and rebuilding them. Having a couple days of rest spaced into that entire week of training really does help speed up recovery.

Having those two days of rest also helps avoid burnout, which can happen to any of us.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on what you are doing how much you can train. Soreness is not a good indicator of overdoing it though.

You get stronger / faster when you rest, not when you work out. The work out just tells your body it needs to do some improvements if this is gonna keep happening and puts it off for a more convienient time.

The harder you push things, the more damage you will do that needs repaired before improvements can be made, push too much too often and you will actually go backwards.

Some things you can do everyday without a problem, things that don't push your body too hard. Same way as you can walk every day, but not run till exhaustion.

How much you can do is rather individual and based on your current physical condition.

Taking at least one day rest a week should be a must though, preferably 2.

Overtraining not only prevents improvement, it also increases your risk of injury greatly.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds like everyone has given you good advice; I also believe that giving your body a rest will benefit in the long run.
Shaolinwind said:
All that aside, I really HAVE to take a day off to spend time with my wife. It should have been the first thought on my mind rather than how much fun "I'm" having. Gotta take care of my gal!
Smart man! :D

C

CrankyDragon

Just a note from the "Weird Files"... I was sick as **** Edited to conform to MT's Profanity Ruleswith some ungodly virus, out of class for 2 weeks. I was nervous about getting back on the mat, but that ended up being one of my best classes, everything just flowed. My blending was much improved as was my grappling! So, taking a day or two off once in a while cant be all bad!

Andrew

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is just like I tell new weightlifters. You do not build muscle or strength while you are working out, it is when you are resting that these come. If you do not give yourself time to recover you will slow your progression. Eventually your muscles will rebel against the training that you are doing, you will start getting sore and stiff. This is the point when you will rip or strain muscles or get injuries that will not go away. If you feel like you need to be doing something on your days off then do some meditation. It works wonders.

Latest Discussions