One Year Mark

G

goshawk

I realized today (as I was getting tossed around in sparring) that today marks one year of training in kenpo, the longest period of continuous martial arts training in my life to date. As y'all can probably imagine, I'm pretty psyched. :ultracool

I've been going every day for about 10 months of that year, with the past summer seeing a lot of twice-daily training, and I'm about three-fourths of the way through review for my blue belt. My fitness has gone way up, I'm a happier person than I was, and I can take headshots without feeling like the world ended. ::laugh::

I'm more than happy with the past year, and I'm looking forward to the coming year with a whole lot of enthusiasm. Now, if only my courseload doesn't kill me first, I might just make it to brown...

[Edit to add: looking at the time, technically it was a year "yesterday". However, I haven't gone to bed yet so I say it still counts. =P]

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Killer, my man! Out freakin' standing! Here's to your first year and many to come. :burp:

goshawk said:
I realized today (as I was getting tossed around in sparring) that today marks one year of training in kenpo, the longest period of continuous martial arts training in my life to date. As y'all can probably imagine, I'm pretty psyched. :ultracool

I've been going every day for about 10 months of that year, with the past summer seeing a lot of twice-daily training, and I'm about three-fourths of the way through review for my blue belt. My fitness has gone way up, I'm a happier person than I was, and I can take headshots without feeling like the world ended. ::laugh::

I'm more than happy with the past year, and I'm looking forward to the coming year with a whole lot of enthusiasm. Now, if only my courseload doesn't kill me first, I might just make it to brown...

[Edit to add: looking at the time, technically it was a year "yesterday". However, I haven't gone to bed yet so I say it still counts. =P]

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
goshawk said:

Thats Awesome!!! Keep up the hard work! The journey is just beginning.

Mike

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good work, goshawk! Look forward to the second.

OP
C

CrankyDragon

Dedication is what is needed to progress, keep it up! Ive missed 2.5 weeks due to some God aweful virus, but Im 99% and ready for class Monday! Im pretty stoked about getting back in my Gi!

Best of luck & God bless!
Andrew

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Good for you, goshawk! The impact MA has on people's life is a great thing. Glad to hear you're so into it. PM me if you'd like to join a new therapy group I'm setting up called MAA (Martial Artists Anonymous).

OP
G

goshawk

Shaolinwind said:
Here's to your first year and many to come. :burp:
Many thanks. And did I read somewhere that you got your purple recently? The stupid search function keeps losing posts on me. If so, congrats to you as well!

OP
G

goshawk

NGAzone said:
Dedication is what is needed to progress, keep it up! Ive missed 2.5 weeks due to some God aweful virus, but Im 99% and ready for class Monday! Im pretty stoked about getting back in my Gi!

Best of luck & God bless!
Andrew
Ewwwww, yeah, I hate colds. I actually missed a week because of one last year; less because I didn't want to go and more because I didn't want to infect everybody else. ::grin:: I'll think healthy thoughts in your direction then.

OP
G

goshawk

Loki said:
PM me if you'd like to join a new therapy group I'm setting up called MAA (Martial Artists Anonymous).
::laaaaaughing:: Oh man, I think I'm too far gone for that. When you dream of kata...

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations on your anniversary Goshawk. Good, hard consistent learning and training is the key to success in the martial arts and life.

Miles

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
goshawk said:
::laaaaaughing:: Oh man, I think I'm too far gone for that. When you dream of kata...
You're ok as long as you never hear yourself saying things like "not tonight honey, I have nunchaku". :roflmao:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Coolness! I remember my one year mark (Oct 2001).

I saw the video my dad took of me when I tested from white to yellow (in TSD) about a year ago (about 4 years training then). I am still amazed at how far I've come mentally, physically, and spiritually. I never thought I'd be here (going on 5 years training).

So yea, I can definitely relate as I'm sure everyone else here can also.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
hey thats pretty cool, I started about a week before you, and reading the post reminded me I'm at about a year right now as well - I'm also reviewing for blue belt, should be testing soon... *bounces*

congrats on a year! thats awesome!

(don't you sorta feel like now you can stop considering yourself so much of a 'beginner'? Its nice to not be the lowest ranking all the time)

OP
G

goshawk

Samantha said:
hey thats pretty cool, I started about a week before you, and reading the post reminded me I'm at about a year right now as well - I'm also reviewing for blue belt, should be testing soon... *bounces*
Hey yeah, I remember we'd started at about the same time. ::grin:: I just finished "Dart" on my review; whereabouts are you?

congrats on a year! thats awesome!
Same to you, Madame!

(don't you sorta feel like now you can stop considering yourself so much of a 'beginner'? Its nice to not be the lowest ranking all the time)
Heh, yeah, it's nice to feel like you've sort of figured out the whole 'right from left' thing in martial arts. But honestly...I look ahead, and I see so much more to learn. And that's the best part! It's like, "I'll NEVER run out of things to learn and ways to improve". Gods but I love this art.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
goshawk said:
Gods but I love this art.
:) same here.

I have to review the katas (short and longs 1-3) and then I should be testing.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just found this thread & wanted to congratulate you, Goshawk. :cheers: I remember my first year in training... %think% Oy! It was very hard but rewarding, a time of major change in my life: survived 2 Kenpo camps, quit smoking Cold Turkey & was training my body to move in a completely different way than it had before.

Like others have said, keep up the good work--your journey has only begun!

:asian:

Latest Discussions