A Martial Artist or just some loony hitting trees?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That's a great line!---reminds me of the wiseass crack that some book reviewer in the Vancouver Sun once wrote about some local literary tin idol whom the reviewer (obviously no fan of!) described as `world famous in Canada'. Wonderfully spiteful...

As much as this will upset our friends from the Great White North, and I apologize in advance :lfao:

And thanks.

Not ot get off track but...

An unrelated story but in a similar tone. An interviewer from either the US or Britain, I do not remember which, was interviewing a Chef from Hong Kong and in an attempt to be smart he asked why in a country that seems as civilized as China they still use chop sticks.

The Chefs response was: good question, back in ancient China when we were less civilized we didn’t use chopsticks we used forks but when we became civilized we realized that Chopsticks were much more civilized.

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow. This thread has some really great discussions going on!!! I'm probably going to have to go on a rep point mission here... :)

A couple of things come to mind after reading the last 2 pages of posts.

1. I believe it was Ueshiba-sensei that wrote that one of the purposes of martial arts is to awaken in men/women a sense of life. This would help in creating a Heaven on Earth.

2. Some points that Hatsumi-sensei made regarding training in the Bujinkan is that the whole point of training is to be able to sync up with the flow of life and, also, get to the point to where you can think for, and teach, yourself.

I'm wondering if what's being discussed is also the purpose of internal martial arts? Maybe "pupose" isn't the right word but there's something about what's being discussed that seems to be screaming out to be noticed. Whatever it is, it's a good thing. :D

Great discussions everyone!

Fu Bag

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Wow. This thread has some really great discussions going on!!! I'm probably going to have to go on a rep point mission here... :)

A couple of things come to mind after reading the last 2 pages of posts.

1. I believe it was Ueshiba-sensei that wrote that one of the purposes of martial arts is to awaken in men/women a sense of life. This would help in creating a Heaven on Earth.

2. Some points that Hatsumi-sensei made regarding training in the Bujinkan is that the whole point of training is to be able to sync up with the flow of life and, also, get to the point to where you can think for, and teach, yourself.

I'm wondering if what's being discussed is also the purpose of internal martial arts? Maybe "pupose" isn't the right word but there's something about what's being discussed that seems to be screaming out to be noticed. Whatever it is, it's a good thing. :D

Great discussions everyone!

Fu Bag

Good points and to be honest I am going to have to step back and think about these and respond to these better later.

But you may be right, and I am not talking about just me here, it maybe the goal in all MA is or should be to just be (to borrow from something I read once) not see a division between different aspects of yourself such as I train martial arts and I am a PC guy and I was a mechanic and I am a dad but just (to borrow form a song) I am I.

And believe me I am not saying I am advanced here, but it may just be a natural progression, as previously mentioned by others, wiser than I, of this post for all martial artists, some sooner than others (if this is the case it took me 30 years) to not see themselves as seperate from thier training.

And I am really going to have to think about this from the internal MA point of view.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, One of the first signs of ageing is "Loss of memory" .

Enjoy the pizza Sam! Good to see you, my have you age!

........Aloha

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
.......it maybe the goal in all MA is or should be to just be (to borrow from something I read once) not see a division between different aspects of yourself such as I train martial arts and I am a PC guy and I was a mechanic and I am a dad but just (to borrow form a song) I am I.

This is really, really good!!! This seems to be a very Eastern way to look at things. I think that Western compartmentalizing can cause some deadfalls when studying Eastern martial arts. At least the squirrels are happy. :)

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What were we talking about :confused:

Walnuts...

The squirrels want more walnuts....

p.s. The chipmunks and woodpeckers have indicated some jealousy over the whole walnut thing. Be careful, they may be planning something........

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is really, really good!!! This seems to be a very Eastern way to look at things. I think that Western compartmentalizing can cause some deadfalls when studying Eastern martial arts. At least the squirrels are happy. :)

That is true, I see that with my wife and her family. They tend not to separate things like we do, or I do, in the US. They are much more relaxed in just about every situation than I am and now that I think about it likely it is due to that lack of separation, or at least that is what I am thinking.

I guess this is much the same as I have ranted about in the past in the martial arts and spirituality threads that it is intrinsic. So why would MA not be the same to ones life if one trained MA?

My Sanda teacher from what I can tell see no separation from his MA and his career nor did my Tai Chi teacher either as far as I know. As a matter of fact my Sanda teacher trains all the time but I do not think he feels it is anything out of the ordinary nor is it something anyone should take notice of, it is just him. At his paying job he does not understand the reason people here look upon it as strange. He was recently told to stop hitting trees and using them to do pull-ups outside his office on his lunch break, and he did and it does not seem to phase him in the least. But in China this is just taken in stride and the only time anyone notices is if they want to train with you.

But I am off post. Bottom line is I am beginning to see that my teachers probably do not think of MA as anything separate from themselves or their day-to-day life. This to may be why I no longer see the separation. My training recently changed to something more public, hitting trees is usually done outside. Prior to that I did my training in my house or at the school and now I just go outside and smack trees so it is now something more public (go for a walk, stop and hit a tree, repeat until I get home) and maybe that is why I no longer see it as separate.

Thanks for giving my old brain a kick.

Now for some reason I must go put peanuts in my backyard, before I beat a tree.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Xue Sheng may I ask you a question? How long have you been training in the martial arts? If you've been training for a long time, then may want to consider this: "The "wise" are not wise not because they now everything. It's because they have learned so much that they have to look at the big picture. They don't really have a choice. They've learned so much that they cann't remember it all. So instead they learn to look at the big picture." my world history teacher teacher mr. kastrick.
just something to think about

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Xue Sheng may I ask you a question? How long have you been training in the martial arts? If you've been training for a long time, then may want to consider this: "The "wise" are not wise not because they now everything. It's because they have learned so much that they have to look at the big picture. They don't really have a choice. They've learned so much that they cann't remember it all. So instead they learn to look at the big picture." my world history teacher teacher mr. kastrick.
just something to think about

Wise, me!!... no, I have been called a wise guy from time to time though:)

Let me put it this way I think it was just before Bruce Lee's movie Enter the Dragon was released when I started Jujitsu. The last 15 years have been in CMA. There have been a few breaks in there due to injuries (back, broken ankle and hit by a tree - possibly why I enjoy beating trees so much now, etc.)

It is something to think about though

Thank You

Latest Discussions