Stiffness in students

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
What are ways to eliminate stiffness in students? We have a student that just locks ups as tight as he can for every technique he is intended to do. Especially, during forms. He can't flow through moves, it's just done very stiff and all stances transitioned through a stamping motion.How do we help him understand to be loose?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know of a quick fix other than constantly say "relax"
The 2 methods that have already been suggested also works. They have drawbacks being that he'll either have to wear himself out before practice or be content with moving really slow.

Have you explained to him the concept of why we want to be relaxed?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition to what they said, maybe have him see a chiropractor? A friend of mine would be constantly stiff/unable to relax when training. He went to a chiropractor and within a few weeks he was visibly more relaxed while training than before.
Admittedly, I have no idea the science behind this, and it very well could be specific to him, or a correlation rather than causation. Still, as far as i know he hadnt changed anything else during that time, so it might be worth a shot if the other ideas don't work for him.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stiffness is often a state of mind.
It means that he is not comfortable in his ability just yet. The stiffness is related to his concentration. He will loosen up after he feels confident in what he is doing.

Absolutely, often too new students feel very self conscious especially doing kata/forms. it's not a 'natural' thing to do and often they think holding themselves stiffly is the way it's done.
It does wear off once, as you say, they feel comfortable that he is doing things properly, we've all been there. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree that it's common new student behavior. My high school football coach used to occasionally have us run sprints with potato chips in our hands. Run fast and keep them intact, you were done. Crush them, and you started over. It taught us to be relaxed and fluid. Perhaps incorporate that into training?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm guessing the student believes power comes from physical strength, and he tenses up because he is muscling thru what he does. When he begins to understand that is not the best way to generate power, and begins to trust the method, he will begin to relax.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, often too new students feel very self conscious especially doing kata/forms. it's not a 'natural' thing to do and often they think holding themselves stiffly is the way it's done.
It does wear off once, as you say, they feel comfortable that he is doing things properly, we've all been there. :)
Agreed, though I think the stiffness is often different sets of muscles fighting for control. The new movements and positions are not habituated. The habitual muscle movements are trying to happen unconsciously, and the conscious mind is ordering the new movements. Put them together and you get stiffness.

My suggestion is to look for anything the student can do without stiffness. Have them do more of that, then graduate them to anything that's really similar. For instance, if they are able to step from a natural posture to a specific stance (let's say hanmi), then have them do that a bunch to get used to loose movement. Maybe they also are able to do a knife-edge block less stiffly. Have them work on that. Now, combine those two things for a while. Now, adjust one of them a bit - maybe make the block a backfist.

You can do this, interspersed with their regular training. You'll have to let them work more on the things they do well (without stiffness) to teach their body to move without the stiffness. Maybe give them those things as homework, and give them a single area to focus on to get even more relaxed ("shoulders low" for instance).

The other option, is to just wait. The problem with this is that they will develop habits of tension, and it will be much harder to correct later. Spending extra time on it now will help them tremendously later.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm curious - does this build habitual relaxation, or do you have to keep exhausting the student so they can develop the habit?
After a while it builds the relaxation and the routine of the exhaustion can be stopped. In my school we actually do tension drills to help with relaxation and to develop power. After the drills students are more than happy to relax when performing the technique. What worked best for me was the understanding that power comes from technique and only when it's done while relaxed. Tension is something that only happens for a short moment and not in a prolonged movement.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a while it builds the relaxation and the routine of the exhaustion can be stopped. In my school we actually do tension drills to help with relaxation and to develop power. After the drills students are more than happy to relax when performing the technique. What worked best for me was the understanding that power comes from technique and only when it's done while relaxed. Tension is something that only happens for a short moment and not in a prolonged movement.
The concept of applying tension to lead to relaxation is actually used in Behavior therapies, as well. It's much easier to relax after you've consciously (rather than unconsciously) contracted the muscle or muscle group.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done a couple things to help students loosen up. Some of them are specific, loose/flow exercises that I'm not going to go into, but are along the lines of the no power advice above or like doing tai chi. One, though, is simple -- bounce the tension out. Like a rag doll... loose shoulders, loose body, just bounce & bounce & bounce, arms flopping, shoulders especially bouncing....

In a backwards way, sometimes I've found that students will relax if you have them REALLY tighten up as much as they can for a few reps. Maybe it's exhaustion, maybe it's just making a "hole" to relax into... Don't know.

Breathing is another area I find helpful to look at... Often, if they're tense, they're holding their breath. Give 'em something to do, like counting, and they often relax.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The concept of applying tension to lead to relaxation is actually used in Behavior therapies, as well. It's much easier to relax after you've consciously (rather than unconsciously) contracted the muscle or muscle group.
Thanks. I didn't know that it was used in Behavior therapies.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Often, if they're tense, they're holding their breath

That is a very common problem People very often don't realise they are doing it. I once saw a girl fall off her pony after completing an indoor show jumping course, she'd been so tense all the way round she'd held her breath then fainted. Horse riding is something else that being tight and full of tension is detrimental to.