is it a micky dojo?

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
- martial art is the "creation" of the instructor. comprised of bits and pieces of styles he threw together. granted he performs all the moves like he knows what he's doing.
- "Master" status, with only a 2nd degree black belt in TKD but seminar degrees in tons of other arts.
- instructor curses in class.
- instructor tells his students with previous MA experience that we need to forget everything we have learned, and focus only on his art.
- weirdly enough, the kicks we perform are all directly pulled from the art the students with previous experience came from.
- curriculum is sporadic. There is no rhyme nor reason for anything. silly ideas that are passed off as training. ie.. hitting balloons with a stick to see if you can pop it.
- all sorts of charges and extra fees for gear. Usually gear that is only used once in a blue moon.
- students required to wear belts in non normal way, that has nothing to do with this particular art.
- even though rules say otherwise, students are allowed to wear socks onto the floor.. dirty ones at that.
- school preaches that we should use fluid movements, and stay away from linear stiff movements.. yet one of our forms is a shotokan form.. one of the most stiff martial arts there is.
- testing is done in class, belts are ordered with personal embroidering before the test actually takes place.
- overexhorbatant number of belts
- instructor doesn't want students to do anything he cannot do. If he cannot kick above the knee, he doesn't want you to.
- stretching is an after thought.
- instructor gets too personal with students, showing favoritism to certain students. If a student who has previous experience joins.. he gives that person rank in his system. Even though he will preach later on to forget everything thing you learned in that art.
- Students don't know half of the required material needed for testing when the time comes, instructor teaches it all in one day and expects student to know it.

there's more.. but I could be here all day.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From what you describe, I'd say that particular dojo would have to put in a few years of effort to qualify even as a Mickey Dojo. While most mcdojo don't stress realistic technique, at least the structure of the class provides some degree of progress.
Of course, the idea of charging for everything but the air you breathe is definitely a mcdojo characteristic.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Mark - this place is iffy, at best - and I don't think it's good enough to be iffy.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do you ahve a name or link to this so called place or is it part of the magic kingdom as well.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
its sounds like you've already answered your question... time to bail and find someplace that has structure. I would be interested in seeing how they tie their belts in non-traditional ways.

As far as testing... low belts, up to brown belt.... are done during classes but in a separate room. Red belt testing is done separately and the school closes for our three day black belt test.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My thought is that regardless of what we think about it (based solely on what you've written) you don't seem happy there. If you're not happy with things & it doesn't look as tho it will improve, it's probably time for you to leave.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is a non-normal way to wear a belt?

Around your ears? I'm still trying to figure out "overexhorbatant"... (Sorry... too many folks try to use big words and end up sounding silly, either because they invented the word, or used it so incorrectly that it's laughable. It's a pet peeve of mine... Just stick with words you know.)

its sounds like you've already answered your question... time to bail and find someplace that has structure. I would be interested in seeing how they tie their belts in non-traditional ways.

As far as testing... low belts, up to brown belt.... are done during classes but in a separate room. Red belt testing is done separately and the school closes for our three day black belt test.

The testing process itself, as described, doesn't bother me. First, just because you bought a belt for someone doesn't mean you have to award it. I've bought belts, anticipating a student's promotion, and ended up carrying it for a while because they failed. Second, I test during class. Usually, if I'm testing a student, I expect them to be able to pass.

Leave. Now.

Yep... Gotta agree. Lots of red flags... Almost anytime someone "created" their own martial art to justify opening a school, there's a problem. (Note... this is different from a school splitting off to follow one instructor's practices over another, which is a better description of the splits of many "historic" styles.)

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like the guy needs to teach MA for an ego stroke. I agree with the rest that this place is not run well enough to be a mcdojo. A mcdojo actually makes a huge profit line and the buisness overtakes the actual learning of it's students. This guy seems to want to create a cult type following.

Look for another school ASAP!!!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
- martial art is the "creation" of the instructor. comprised of bits and pieces of styles he threw together. granted he performs all the moves like he knows what he's doing.
- "Master" status, with only a 2nd degree black belt in TKD but seminar degrees in tons of other arts.
- instructor curses in class.
- instructor tells his students with previous MA experience that we need to forget everything we have learned, and focus only on his art.
- weirdly enough, the kicks we perform are all directly pulled from the art the students with previous experience came from.
- curriculum is sporadic. There is no rhyme nor reason for anything. silly ideas that are passed off as training. ie.. hitting balloons with a stick to see if you can pop it.
- all sorts of charges and extra fees for gear. Usually gear that is only used once in a blue moon.
- students required to wear belts in non normal way, that has nothing to do with this particular art.
- even though rules say otherwise, students are allowed to wear socks onto the floor.. dirty ones at that.
- school preaches that we should use fluid movements, and stay away from linear stiff movements.. yet one of our forms is a shotokan form.. one of the most stiff martial arts there is.
- testing is done in class, belts are ordered with personal embroidering before the test actually takes place.
- overexhorbatant number of belts
- instructor doesn't want students to do anything he cannot do. If he cannot kick above the knee, he doesn't want you to.
- stretching is an after thought.
- instructor gets too personal with students, showing favoritism to certain students. If a student who has previous experience joins.. he gives that person rank in his system. Even though he will preach later on to forget everything thing you learned in that art.
- Students don't know half of the required material needed for testing when the time comes, instructor teaches it all in one day and expects student to know it.

there's more.. but I could be here all day.
Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Sean

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with Mark - this place is iffy, at best - and I don't think it's good enough to be iffy.

yep got to agree myself on the basis of the data given! I would suggest not even getting involved at all with such a dojo!

Reaction score
Of course, the idea of charging for everything but the air you breathe is definitely a mcdojo characteristic.
Let it be known I'm trandemarking, copyrighting and patenting a ranking system based on the breathing of air in the Dojo. There will be a belt system and a testing fee.

Seriously, while one or two of the points aren't that bad the others are just plain stupid. Master rank at 2nd and seminar rank? I've attended pleanty of seminars, but I've only gotten rank at a couple, and that was after attending years (at 3-4 times a year) worth of them with the same instructors. Time to do a web search for something new...

OP
azmyth

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
to answer a few of the questions..

Overexhorbatant belts (BIG number) - There are belts thrown in there just so it seems he can have every color in the rainbow. I actually don't even think there is a black belt.. not that this matters.. but the instructor has one in his own art. Yet the belt display has no such.

We tie our belts normally, but we have to wear the knot to the right of our hip if we are male and to the left if we are female. The only person who gets to wear it to the front is the instructor. I heard him say this was a take on an arnis thing, but the funny thing is.. he's not teaching us arnis in the class we wear the belts Its karate.

oh and he's sending a guy thats got maybe 6 months of martial arts experience, no wrestling experience, and no previous fighting experience into an MMA fight here soon. He's built the guy up to think he actually stands a chance. I feel sorry for the kid because he's paying a buttload of money for this training that he's not even really getting.